What's new

General/Other - Commando Commando Variation Discussion Thread

FlappyDaniel

Snappin' spines all day e'ry day.
The OS is weird, I wish we had a little audio cue to know when we hit it or something. I've still just been in the lab with computer on Random block and just trying to be consistent when I input. I think I have the timing down though. Very useful.

If B1 was a tick throw I'd shit myself.

imblackjames

Ive seen the leprechaun
I just want b13 to tick throw.....really any string besides f33. Don't get me wrong i like f33 a lot but i want more variety

FlappyDaniel

Naw, I would take just B1, or either of my other 2 changes that I post about as often as I can as my "would like it" changes. B312 gets a tick on the 1 or 2F4 is an OH on the F4

edit: F33 is really just too booty IMO, thought at the same time I do mix it in rarely to catch people sleepin' and not adjusting the the second low hit.

imblackjames

Ive seen the leprechaun
I really like it because they cant jump the tick throw afterwards. They have to armor. And people will always try and jump first so its good for a couple of "almost" guaranteed tick throws then u can eventually use it like any other string. I use it ib pressure and it works really well for me

DFC

Cutthroat Truther
I really like it because they cant jump the tick throw afterwards. They have to armor. And people will always try and jump first so its good for a couple of "almost" guaranteed tick throws then u can eventually use it like any other string. I use it ib pressure and it works really well for me
if they arent in the corner they can backdash it though

What do your training mode sessions look like? How much time do you spend doing combos, tick throws, anti-airs? Any tips?

For me, when I was playing Cassie I found I spent too long on combos, and didn't practice anti-airing or footsies enough and my game suffered for it. With Commando, he's less combo focused, so I do a quick warm up with combos, then spend time on tick throw OS with the dummy set to random combo, get ten in a row, and switch sides. Once I've done that, I try to dash in-tick throw OS. I find when I do this, I screw up the OS timing (often rushing and getting the cancel on hit), so I have to switch between doing a standing OS to remind myself of the timing, then back to the dash in-OS.

After, it's jump in tick throws. Then anti-airs. Normally by that point I'm itching to get online, so my intentions to do match up specific training goes out of the window.

DFC

Cutthroat Truther
What do your training mode sessions look like? How much time do you spend doing combos, tick throws, anti-airs? Any tips?

For me, when I was playing Cassie I found I spent too long on combos, and didn't practice anti-airing or footsies enough and my game suffered for it. With Commando, he's less combo focused, so I do a quick warm up with combos, then spend time on tick throw OS with the dummy set to random combo, get ten in a row, and switch sides. Once I've done that, I try to dash in-tick throw OS. I find when I do this, I screw up the OS timing (often rushing and getting the cancel on hit), so I have to switch between doing a standing OS to remind myself of the timing, then back to the dash in-OS.

After, it's jump in tick throws. Then anti-airs. Normally by that point I'm itching to get online, so my intentions to do match up specific training goes out of the window.
about all of it is me trying to consistently hit more damaging corner stuff. I think I'm going to have to pull up that thread on strings you can parry the gaps of.

about all of it is me trying to consistently hit more damaging corner stuff. I think I'm going to have to pull up that thread on strings you can parry the gaps of.
That's a glaring hole in my game as well, but I play mostly online so timing for most will be off.

MsMiharo

Kuff Bano
I honestly think this is Kano's best variation. It just needs a really strong player (ie not me) and few small fixes. His wake up game is so strong. His oki is pretty decent. I'd love for him to have one decent tick setup (honestly f33 is so shit. If they want to escape it they can just get hit deliberately on the second hit and make you whiff and full combo punish. Worst case scenario - the Kano player adapts and you eat a choke), maybe a midscreen combo with actual damage, less whiffing issues and maybe a bit more + on hit with choke

DFC

Cutthroat Truther
In the buffs thread, I made a post discussing a possible 3-4 hit string where the 3rd hit was able to be special cancelled into both command grabs, but I'm unsure of just how powerful that is. It doesn't necessarily add anything new, but the wrinkle of choke is still a thing to worry about.

Also, F33 cannot be cancelled into choke. choke whiffs every time if F33 hits.

MsMiharo

Kuff Bano
In the buffs thread, I made a post discussing a possible 3-4 hit string where the 3rd hit was able to be special cancelled into both command grabs, but I'm unsure of just how powerful that is. It doesn't necessarily add anything new, but the wrinkle of choke is still a thing to worry about.

Also, F33 cannot be cancelled into choke. choke whiffs every time if F33 hits.
Lol fuck that string. Just let yourself be hit every time with the last hit to avoid tick. If they get ballsy (literally ie go for ball ender) you've really removed the threat of the tick.

imblackjames

Ive seen the leprechaun
Lol fuck that string. Just let yourself be hit every time with the last hit to avoid tick. If they get ballsy (literally ie go for ball ender) you've really removed the threat of the tick.
Then u can combo them with enhanced ball or ex up ball. Or just delay anything and its safe on block or hit and go for pressure

Vigilante24

Beware my power, Red Lantern's Light
A question. How consistent is everyone getting the insta njp after ex ball cancel combos? On females (not that I would use commando vs any of the female chars anyways) im about 50% and its frustrating. On males tho im more closer to 90%, but this is all in practice mode and not in a real match.

DFC

Cutthroat Truther
I don't even attempt it against live people. EX ball JIP 112 xx choke is what I do

A question. How consistent is everyone getting the insta njp after ex ball cancel combos? On females (not that I would use commando vs any of the female chars anyways) im about 50% and its frustrating. On males tho im more closer to 90%, but this is all in practice mode and not in a real match.
i dont even bother trying

DFC

Cutthroat Truther
I cant get the jip for me some reason the dash -njp is easier which is weird. I dont use either in match though, i couldn't risk it haha
It can be wonky against female hitboxes. I'll probably make a quick video when I get home.

Vigilante24

Beware my power, Red Lantern's Light
Really, not one person bothers with it? Well dang okay then. I kind of want to get pretty consistent with it just so I can actually get some decent punishing damage midscreen. Punish for 31%-34% instead of like 16%-20%.

FlappyDaniel

The one who originally found it @OmGxBdON said he got to a point of getting it very consistently so it's definitely not impossible. I tend not to go for it in match either, but I havent been grinding it out like I should be.