What's new

Question - Commando commando kano is my main but wow is he out gunned

FlappyDaniel

Snappin' spines all day e'ry day.
Weak? Tell that to all the kids I frame trap in the corner who yell on their mics. I had one dude actually yell to his buddy "Do the buttons work on this damn thing?". Keep the pressure up with frame traps on Oki, and then mix that up by doing nothing and throwing them into tho corner, then oki them with B312 for a full combo. He's all minds games and is going to get slept on HARD because he's not what is obviously effective in this game, but I'm finding him to be a guaranteed Damage MACHINE, you can confirm almost all of his normal into his specials to get around 15-20% off of EVERY time you touch somebody. Shit is VICIOUS and adds up fast with good reactions.

FlappyDaniel

Also, as of now choke seems largely useless unless you NEED the little bit of extra damage to guarantee the kill at the end of a combo, everything you can combo into choke you can combo into Knife or Kano ball instead and get more frame advantage then choke.

Smoke_Of_Finland

Believe in the hop kick
No mixups? No solid combos?

He can confirm any string on hit into ex ball cancel njp combo for around 35% every time. If you knock them down after a combo and get a grab you've done over 50%. Get them to the corner and it's a nightmare for them. Great range d4 to open them up to throws or combos when they get tired of taking throws. Then once you have the life lead, he outzones half the cast, so you get the lead and just start spamming knives, now they have to get in on the guy with parries and armoured unblockables.

His real problem is that his footsies suffers in this variation, and for some stupid reason choke is punishable on block, as is his commando grab string.
Daaaayyyumn I didn't know he could get NJP after ex ball cancel, I just tried out regular jip when I labbed commando, what's the highest damage bnb after the NJP?

And I agree that choke needs to be safe, to me I think this is the biggest downfall of this variation.

FlappyDaniel

35% midscreen.... Somebody found that combo like 2nd day of him being out, how are commando players sleepin' on it? I have to practice it more because my execution on it is balls.

edit: here it is again :

Smoke_Of_Finland

Believe in the hop kick
I think instead of the dash you should do an instant run cancel into block so the instant NJP is easier to time.

Edit. Nevermind, just gotta cancel the ball into dash as fast as you can and during the dash just hold up and mash 1 or 2 when the dash is about to end, you should get an NJP without actually having to know the exact moment you will go into neutral jump after the dash.

Last edited:

Phosferrax

Original Liu Kang cop.
32 block confirm into b1 is gdlk too. I don't get why wood chipper is unsafe on block though, but it doesn't affect him. Choke does though, make that shit safe and he's got all the footsies he needs.

FlappyDaniel

I think choke is ok being unsafe honestly, people shouldn't be allowed to just throw it out all day since it starts up relatively quickly. I like how it's something you need to combo into, just as it stands there's no reason to unless you need the pure 5% dmg extra you'd get off it, because it doesn't give you as much frame advantage as the other 2 options (Ball and knife)

Smoke_Of_Finland

Believe in the hop kick
You guys don't know anything. Commando Kano is god. His mixups are with tick throws, after a blocked D1 is he going to command grab you or wait for you to jump and punish your jump?
Tick throws can also be avoided by backdashing after the blocked normal. Commando Kano can not launch punish read backdashes.

Smoke_Of_Finland

Believe in the hop kick
I think choke is ok being unsafe honestly, people shouldn't be allowed to just throw it out all day since it starts up relatively quickly. I like how it's something you need to combo into, just as it stands there's no reason to unless you need the pure 5% dmg extra you'd get off it, because it doesn't give you as much frame advantage as the other 2 options (Ball and knife)
Goro has a 6 frame d1 and both punch walk and dragon fang spin are safe and he also has a command grab that's faster than Kanos. I honestly feel like choke needs to be a braindead option Kano can resort to, to keep the opponent on his toes because the throws and reversals can be launch punished if they whiff.

FlappyDaniel

Dont get me wrong, I definitely wouldn't complain if they made choke safe. Just another frame trap I can use.

@Soulofsuikoden ran my ass the hell over harder than anyone else has, using Commando. Commando Kano is really legitimate, but don't expect to just run up to people with a grappler and land throws unless you've trained them to block already. This goes for any game. Kano has some great normals - use them to keep people in check, then start breaking their ribs when they're scared.
Thanks man. As you said, Commando needs to condition to get in and he has tools to do so. Although the balls are unsafe they are also great tools to make your opponent go from thinking about offense to thinking about blocking and punishing your kano balls. Once they are thinking like that, you can rush in with a command grab.

I often go in with a f4 knee and if they block I then ex rib breaker/power slam any attempt to press buttons or continue to block. Not a perfect approach but it works often enough to be worth trying until your opponent catches on. Always remember that even though you may be in the corner, a single ex power slam can reverse your positions and give you the momentum to win the match with Commando's corner meterless 40% and tick throw pressure.

BlackBryan

B*tch Distributor
That 1 meter bnb is good, but damn near impossible online. I do think choke should be safe. It makes 0 sense that it isnt, its really hard to break the mk9 112choke habit... and I'm lazy.

FlappyDaniel

I think your understanding of the term frame trap is off.
A fast poke used to interrupt the startup frames of other moves? It may not be a great one like B1 but I know it has pretty quick startup, can't look right now. If I'm mistaken though feel free to educate me

A fast poke used to interrupt the startup frames of other moves? It may not be a great one like B1 but I know it has pretty quick startup, can't look right now. If I'm mistaken though feel free to educate me
A frame trap is hen you perform a move on block which grants you frame adv. for a followup barring armor/backdash, an example of this would be quan chis ex rune, it is +15 on block thus granting a free 15 frame mixup.

Other frame traps include mk9 johnny cage mb force balls, black Adams b23, Kano mb knife in cybernetic

OmGxBdON

I'm going to make Fate top ten
Cybernetic Kano is love. Cybernetic Kano is life. Join us. :)[/QUOTE
35% midscreen.... Somebody found that combo like 2nd day of him being out, how are commando players sleepin' on it? I have to practice it more because my execution on it is balls.

That was me just sayin ;P

OmGxBdON

You guys don't know anything. Commando Kano is god. His mixups are with tick throws, after a blocked D1 is he going to command grab you or wait for you to jump and punish your jump?
I know not all the cast can do tip his but down 1 is punishable lol

OmGxBdON

Choke is too catch people mashing buttons after a block string like 112 at least that's how I do it. U gotta condition ur opponent. Just do raw 112s and every once in a while throw out the choke because they will try to poke out