What's new

Command Grab - Bomb Trap PATCH?

water

Noob
I assume you know this but the dummy doesn't jump out on frame 1.
Yes, sorry I forgot to mention this detail in my post, but the margin of error on this trap is large enough that this method works to practice the timing. That's why I mentioned to test it with a willing partner afterwards to check your timing. Understandably, my partner did not want to sit through my practicing to get the basic combo/timing down.

Alternatively, you can set the Dummy to Duck/Block Always. I think the dummy will crouch faster than jump. With this method you try to make him block the 22 standing. Just make sure to not pick a "short" crouching character since b1212 whiffs on them (argh Sektor, etc.).

Also like Sprint mentioned, if you have another controller you can hold up while you practice.

The fix seems perfectly reasonable. As Tom said, it would probably be very hard to break just the b1 grab still simply because the following 2, 1, 2 happens so fast. Online the combo is very hard to pull off anyway due to lag. You need a pretty lag free game to do it.

Cyrax will still be in the top tier of characters for a couple of reasons. First, you can still do the command grab bomb reset, it's just easier to break, and because catching someone with a command grab will still yield a pretty static meter advantage for you (at the least).

Cyrax still has some very good combos without using any scaler resets or double nets as I discovered yesterday too. The best one requires one bar from your meter, but my god the damage is worth it.

jump punch, BP, FP, f f BL + BK, f f BK, Uppercut (or BP, BP), b + BP, dash, FK, FK, b b FK, FK, FK d f FK, FP + FK.

The timing is pretty tight on the last fk fk ragdoll, but you can pull it off or just use one FK before doing the ragdoll. I've gotten it to do 58%

You can also just choose to skip the net and go straight for the ragdoll depending on how close your oponent is to the ground after you juggle them. It should be noted however, that I've also seen the opponent bounce off the ground before the net hits them, which ends the combo and allows you to just dash in and follow everything up with the command grab bomb reset or do the same combo again provided you had at least 2 meter bars.

I'm not sure if the net timed that way is blockable, but if it's not, pulling the combo off this way will kill your opponent from full health if there's no lag and they don't break the grab, and using the same combo twice instead of the command grab wouldn't even matter pre or post patch..

Marcus

Mortal Kombat Philippines / Injustice Philippines
Cyrax still has some very good combos without using any scaler resets or double nets as I discovered yesterday too. The best one requires one bar from your meter, but my god the damage is worth it.

jump punch, BP, FP, f f BL + BK, f f BK, Uppercut (or BP, BP), b + BP, dash, FK, FK, b b FK, FK, FK d f FK, FP + FK.

The timing is pretty tight on the last fk fk ragdoll, but you can pull it off or just use one FK before doing the ragdoll. I've gotten it to do 58%
Im pretty visual with the combos, mind uploading or linking a video of this? Thanks!

sorry guys.. as of tomorrow morning when tweaks come online the bomb trap is removed via cyrax having less adv after his command throw. i am told that it is now a 50/50 situation with even more possible damage but no situation is free after command throw. just so you know i was 100% against this.

in 2 weeks a full patch then makes cyrax b1 a 10 frame throw break meaning you will never ever ever get b1 off of a net.

Eight

I am the salt
sorry guys.. as of tomorrow morning when tweaks come online the bomb trap is removed via cyrax having less adv after his command throw. i am told that it is now a 50/50 situation with even more possible damage but no situation is free after command throw. just so you know i was 100% against this.

in 2 weeks a full patch then makes cyrax b1 a 10 frame throw break meaning you will never ever ever get b1 off of a net.
Fan-fucking-tastic :bighammer:

Cursed be thy name, NRS

Good night, sweet Cyrax, I hardly knew ye

McNasty

Moist.
sad day for cyrax. the trap was so much fun though.... but the nerf stick must strike we dont want people to think they might have to avoid him or duck the grab or anything.:violin:

DanCock

Cock Master!!
nrs thank you. :) I'm happy with this patch. cyrax is still super good but not stupid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

D_Matt_Ma

Sheeva isn't Goro's wife. Goro is her husband.
Tom Brady, I'm confused. If they can tweak the game without the patch, why wait till the patch to make that last throw break window tweak? Is the auto-update ability limited to certain properties that the designers put "hooks" on, or was the decision to make the larger break window after they already finalized the non-patch fixes?

Marcus

Mortal Kombat Philippines / Injustice Philippines
Tom Brady, I'm confused. If they can tweak the game without the patch, why wait till the patch to make that last throw break window tweak? Is the auto-update ability limited to certain properties that the designers put "hooks" on, or was the decision to make the larger break window after they already finalized the non-patch fixes?

Tweak the game without the patch? How?

Dark_Rob

Noob

Oh wow. Slammed with the nerf bat. I actually thought the bomb trap made Cyrax an interesting character to fight. They could have done something less drastic maybe, even if just to reduce the overall damage of it by 10%. I dont even play Cyrax but I think the bomb trap was good, but not broken. Plus it gave him something unique to work with. Hell they could have left the trap itself alone completely and just given the command throw tech the bigger window and that might have been enough. You should always start with small nerfs rather than drastic ones in my opinion. The smallest change can sometimes change the game alot.

Zebster

How's my volume?
I was fully expecting them to just make Cyrax's bomb as slow as Human Cyrax's bomb to nullify the bomb trap (Since Tom mentioned that Human Cyrax doesn't have the guaranteed bomb trap because of this)

Zebster

How's my volume?
sorry being so noobish haha hows that?
I don't understand it fully, but they have something similar to a database with values for different things in the game (move properties mainly) that they can tweak at any time and it is linked to a server I think, and any changes that are done there are applied when you start the game (You know that message after the title menu that says something like "Checking for online features" it happens then I believe).

Eight

I am the salt
Oh wow. Slammed with the nerf bat. I actually thought the bomb trap made Cyrax an interesting character to fight. They could have done something less drastic maybe, even if just to reduce the overall damage of it by 10%. I dont even play Cyrax but I think the bomb trap was good, but not broken. Plus it gave him something unique to work with. Hell they could have left the trap itself alone completely and just given the command throw tech the bigger window and that might have been enough. You should always start with small nerfs rather than drastic ones in my opinion. The smallest change can sometimes change the game alot.
Absolutely this.

sorry being so noobish haha hows that?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hotfix

Basically a fast patch that can be applied to live software.

So by a reduction in the adv post command throw, do you mean that the duration of the stun after the command grab is being reduced?

My understanding was that the 2 - 3 frame window to tech the command grab was a bug. So, setting it to the appropriate 10 is essentially fixing a bug.

I wish people would understand that this bug is what made the command grab bomb reset imbalanced because you could do it way too easily from a net.

Appropriately adjusting the tech window was enough. This type of overkill essentially takes a built in mechanic of the character (command grab) and nerfs it into worthlessness. Sigh...

When something is broken, fix it. Don't nuke it and break things that aren't broken in the process.

Getting someone caught with a command grab is going to be harder now. Alot harder. In the rare event that you actually do, and get the 2, 1, 2 punch combo in, you should be able to bomb trap them. Otherwise there's no punishment for your opponent to get caught with the grab... 11% damage? No one is ever going to use it.

In my opinion this was one of the most interesting combos in the game... But apparently what they want is stupid crap that only requires you to press the same three buttons over and over.

Every single other character has combos in the mid 40s that are breakable The bomb trap would be absolutely no different from those if the tech window for the grab was fixed and nothing else. outside of using your meter, all you get is jump punch bp, fp, net, jump punch, bp, fp, ragdoll. Cyrax has gone from being extremely unique and very interesting to being stale and boring. That didn't need to happen. It would have been perfectly fixed and balanced without changing the guarantee of the trap. Every player who knows about it would break the NJ punch after the bomb explosion anyway, so getting grabbed wasn't that big of a deal.. this would have been made even more true with a bug fix regarding the window of teching.

TL;DR. Fixing the breakable / techable frames - Necessary. Changing the adv post grab - Poorly thought out, overkill, completely unnecessary. The problem was NOT the bomb being able to trap people. It wa a BUG in the techable / breakable frames of the grab making it too easy to trap. Fixing the frames is all that needed to happen.

So by a reduction in the adv post command throw, do you mean that the duration of the stun after the command grab is being reduced?

My understanding was that the 2 - 3 frame window to tech the command grab was a bug. So, setting it to the appropriate 10 is essentially fixing a bug.

I wish people would understand that this bug is what made the command grab bomb reset imbalanced because you could do it way too easily from a net.

Appropriately adjusting the tech window was enough. This type of overkill essentially takes a built in mechanic of the character (command grab) and nerfs it into worthlessness. Sigh...

When something is broken, fix it. Don't nuke it and break things that aren't broken in the process.

Getting someone caught with a command grab is going to be harder now. Alot harder. In the rare event that you actually do, and get the 2, 1, 2 punch combo in, you should be able to bomb trap them. Otherwise there's no punishment for your opponent to get caught with the grab... 11% damage? No one is ever going to use it.

In my opinion this was one of the most interesting combos in the game... But apparently what they want is stupid crap that only requires you to press the same three buttons over and over.

TL;DR. Fixing the breakable / techable frames - Necessary. Changing the adv post grab - Poorly thought out, overkill, completely unnecessary. The problem was NOT the bomb being able to trap people. It wa a BUG in the techable / breakable frames of the grab making it too easy to trap. Fixing the frames is all that needed to happen.
I completely agree with this, people will always complain about anything and it is a slippery slope what is next? Cyrax is my main......... Command Grab was probably 70% of my game with him and even than if you play against good people u are lucky if u get that grab more than two times per game and plus their breaker. I honestly thought they gave him this tool on purpose because he has nothing against characters like: Kung Lao, Lui Kang at least make his teleport safe. Whatever I will play with him few more days if this will really effect my gameplay than I guess Sector is than.
Still quite stupid make 67%+ combo in to 11% wow!!!!!!!!!!!