What's new

Categorizing MKX's relevant tournaments

STB Shujinkydink

Burning down in flames for kicks
I mean if it happens again next year yeah, but even with my biases I can't put it on the same level as something like CEO, NEC, CB/UFGT etc etc. People seem to view being a regional as a bad thing when it's anything but, hell I've been going to NWM since 1 and it's one of my favorite tournaments to go to. Even most of Anime which NWM is a bigger thing for it than MK considers it a Regional.

Also yeah no way in hell NCR is a major lmao
Nope. We had SoCal there, New York there, Illinois there, Canada. That's not a regional man.

EGP Wonder_Chef

Official Quan Chi Nerf Demander™
NWM is weird, because at the time of NWM, it definitely had really strong competition, but if you're judging it by the people who were there by skill today, it isn't too impressive.

I mean arguably, early in the game's life, Reo, Slayer, Chris G, Tom, JWong, Sabin, etc. were definitely some of the best around. If you judge NWM by the skill and variation of players there THEN, I think it's totally a Major.

Since Yomi took over though, no tournament without Yomi can ever be considered a Major again (which fucking sucks, but whatever) so if you're judging NWM by the skill of who was there NOW, it isn't a Major.

Honestly it doesn't matter though. If YOMI isn't there from this point forward, no tournament holds any significance at all.

huh

Noob
Norcal regional a major but NWM a minor?
What in the f!^#&?
yeah what the fluff man. We had all the top talent this year. Theres no way this is NOT a major. Please disregard this fool
Hey guys, this is a completely open thread, and I'm going by consensus, or at least by what the majority agrees here. It can be changed at any time if you present info to do so.

NWM was indeed a doubtful point in my mind, as NorCal and SoCal regionals. Some were calling NWM as a regional, and so I've put it under the minor category, which is just a step bellow a major.

But if the community agrees that it is a defacto Major, or, if Socal and NorCal regionals are in fact minors, Ill gladly update the OP. Just express your opinions please. It will be very important to help make the categories more exact.

And if any european guy could present a list of tournaments in EU it would be great.

My goal is to concentrate this info here, as a database of tournaments that could help further consultation and perhaps could weigh in for a ranking system. If we have a comprehensive world list of tournaments and how important they are, ir will be easier to rank players from all around the globe for the next EVO, for instance, based on results.

SO, how should we classify NWM, SoCal and NorCal regionals?

STB Shujinkydink

Hey guys, this is a completely open thread, and I'm going by consensus, or at least by what the majority agrees here. It can be changed at any time if you present info to do so.

NWM was indeed a doubtful point in my mind, as NorCal and SoCal regionals. Some were calling NWM as a regional, and so I've put it under the minor category, which is just a step bellow a major.

But if the community agrees that it is a defacto Major, or, if Socal and NorCal regionals are in fact minors, Ill gladly update the OP. Just express your opinions please. It will be very important to help make the categories more exact.

And if any european guy could present a list of tournaments in EU it would be great.

My goal is to concentrate this info here, as a database of tournaments that could help further consultation and perhaps could weigh in for a ranking system. If we have a comprehensive world list of tournaments and how important they are, ir will be easier to rank players from all around the globe for the next EVO, for instance, based on results.

SO, how should we classify NWM, SoCal and NorCal regionals?
Northwest Majors was the first event For MKX, had Testers present in Chris G, Arturo, Reo, Wonder Chef and Tom Brady. As well as myself, Chaosphere and GGA soonk from Illinois, Slayer, Justin Wong...I could go on. The best of the best were present at that time and with almost 100 entrants i really see no reason it isn't considered a Major. It literally meets all the previous agreed on requirements and has been mentioned by players as a major. What are the arguments for keeping it a minor/regional?

huh

Noob
I don't mean to be mean, but are you honestly qualified to do this if you don't know that NCR hasn't had NRS games for two years?
The way I see it no one in the world is actually qualified to do this as an individual. One can know about NA tournaments deeply, but will this person know all about tournaments in EU, Asia, Pacific, South America, Middle East, Africa? So, that's the main point: it cannot be done by an individual.

That's why I'm not one judging it and deciding it. Maybe you understood it otherwise, but this is a good opportunity to clarify it. What I'm doing is acting as clerk, gathering information and asking for the community to do the work of categorizing the tournaments. That's why I tagged, and keep tagging tons of people.

So, if you have deep knowledge about a certain tournament or tournaments in a certain area, please speak up. That's what is gonna be the key input. Just read what I've written and the posts I've made. I'm holding judgement and am asking you guys to judge. I'm only gathering the info, and putting it in a single place for everyone to see, discuss and propose alterations if needed.

So, you guys from each region in NA could be helping out and, as @Tim Static did, inform about the tournaments you do know. The same goes for EU guys, who can talk about VSF, Dreamhack and other tournaments in Netherlands, Greece, France, etc.. @n-megabytes helped hugely talking about the tournaments in Australia. And so on.

It is a work in progress man, and if you feel uncomfortable with any definition so far, please give us your opinion, present your points, and I'm sure that we can reach a majority consensus here.

Since no individual (including me and you) is qualified to do this in a worldly scale, but it is still an important piece of info to have, we should try to do it as a community, don't think so?

Could you specify some tournaments in the list that you don't agree with, and give us some better info regarding those? Your help will be immensely appreciated!

huh

Noob
Northwest Majors was the first event For MKX, had Testers present in Chris G, Arturo, Reo, Wonder Chef and Tom Brady. As well as myself, Chaosphere and GGA soonk from Illinois, Slayer, Justin Wong...I could go on. The best of the best were present at that time and with almost 100 entrants i really see no reason it isn't considered a Major. It literally meets all the previous agreed on requirements and has been mentioned by players as a major. What are the arguments for keeping it a minor/regional?
I would love to know. @Tim Static, could you clarify your previous opinion? @haketh and yours?

If there is no arguments against it, so far in the thread we would follow Dink's and others opinion and put it as a major. For now I'll put it as a "to be defined". Just discuss and when we reach a conclusion I'll move it accordingly.

haketh

Noob
I would love to know. @Tim Static, could you clarify your previous opinion? @haketh and yours?

If there is no arguments against it, so far in the thread we would follow Dink's and others opinion and put it as a major. For now I'll put it as a "to be defined". Just discuss and when we reach a conclusion I'll move it accordingly.
Me personally I don't care to much either way if it's labeled a Regional or Major. I was just dropping my two piece and a biscuit.

STB Shujinkydink

Bigger, equal or smaller than Toryuken?
In previous years its been significantly smaller with little outside competition. But this year since its in Toronto we will likely get MTL, TOR, and New york. Possibly Chicago as well.

huh

Noob
In previous years its been significantly smaller with little outside competition. But this year since its in Toronto we will likely get MTL, TOR, and New york. Possibly Chicago as well.
So, would you think it is ok to put it as a minor (same category as Toryuken and Texas Showdown), for know, and see what happens in the next edition?

I really don't know if a tournament should be classified in a yearly basis, or if history builds up to make it a major, minor, regional or whatever. Cause if we also have in mind that CEO is classified as a major, the other tournaments that we are discussing are perhaps borderline majors or indeed minors, compared to that. And that's why I tend to use a quintessential tournament of each category as a measure. Toryuken would be a quintessential minor. ECT, WB, TCW quintessential majors. Anything close to Toryuken = minor, anything close to TCW = major.

By what you've said, Canada Cup could be seen as a regional before. But would you think, in this thread's categories, it will be upgraded directly to a major now? Or it is still going to be smaller than TCW?

A F0xy Grampa

Problem X Promotions
NWM is weird, because at the time of NWM, it definitely had really strong competition, but if you're judging it by the people who were there by skill today, it isn't too impressive.

I mean arguably, early in the game's life, Reo, Slayer, Chris G, Tom, JWong, Sabin, etc. were definitely some of the best around. If you judge NWM by the skill and variation of players there THEN, I think it's totally a Major.

Since Yomi took over though, no tournament without Yomi can ever be considered a Major again (which fucking sucks, but whatever) so if you're judging NWM by the skill of who was there NOW, it isn't a Major.

Honestly it doesn't matter though. If YOMI isn't there from this point forward, no tournament holds any significance at all.

PND

STB Shujinkydink

So, would you think it is ok to put it as a minor (same category as Toryuken and Texas Showdown), for know, and see what happens in the next edition?

I really don't know if a tournament should be classified in a yearly basis, or if history builds up to make it a major, minor, regional or whatever. Cause if we also have in mind that CEO is classified as a major, the other tournaments that we are discussing are perhaps borderline majors or indeed minors, compared to that. And that's why I tend to use a quintessential tournament of each category as a measure. Toryuken would be a quintessential minor. ECT, WB, TCW quintessential majors. Anything close to Toryuken = minor, anything close to TCW = major.

By what you've said, Canada Cup could be seen as a regional before. But would you think, in this thread's categories, it will be upgraded directly to a major now? Or it is still going to be smaller than TCW?
Yeah i think a regional probably fits it for now. If it ends up being Mostly TOR/MTL in october i think that would still classify it as a regional. If YOMI,New york and Chicago show up I'd say bump it

Reactions: huh

huh

Noob
Updated:

NWM (NA) = major
Absolute Battle (NA) = regional

Kombat Kup (EU) = major
Redfight District (EU) = regional

Treta (Brazil) = regional

Last edited:

huh

Noob
Added:

First Attack - Puerto Rico (regional)

The op contains the most updated list. Please, post any tournaments you are aware of and is not currently listed, so we can categorize and add to the list

huh

Noob
Added:

MKX Major Tournaments - Chile (minor)
(same criteria used to australian majors)

@ETC , @ETC Mcfly could you inform if there are other relevant tournaments in Chile/South America you are aware of?

Reactions: ETC

huh

Noob
Why is KIT still a minor?
The initial information we had was:

KIT is a big regional that could debatably be considered a Major due to the names it draws. MWC is definitely a regional.
Considering that now, we are creating an intermediate category between a regional and a major, called minor, KIT seems pretty much well fitted for it.

A minor is bigger than a regional and comprehend all the tournaments that were borderline majors in the previous regional/major classification. So, if KIT was a debatable major before, now it would fall into the minor category, since it is definitely not a regional.

So, a minor is not a regional, just to make clear. A minor is what used to be a small major/big regional before.

In fact, some of the currently categorized majors in NA, in my opinion, could indeed be re-categorized as minors. The difference between some of them and CEO are too big to make all of them in the same category. So, if it depended on me, I would put the 4 or 5 smallest tournaments in that major category under the minor category.

But, as I said before, I'm just following the community here. If you have arguments to say KIT is way bigger than Toryuken (for instance), present them and let's see what happens in the debate that follows so we can review the category.

16 Bit

Mash d+1~Cat Claws
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
if you want an argument for KIT being a major look at the player list from this year. look at the players region and the quality of players. should be pretty cut and dry. The major or not arguments kind of made sense for 2014 but not after this year.

Last edited:

huh

Noob
if you want an argument for KIT being a major look at the player list from this year. look at the players region and the quality of players. should be pretty cut and dry. The major or not arguments kind of made sense for 2014 but not after this year.
Thanks 16bit

OK, now we have 2 community members stating KIT as a major.

@Hollywood DMS , since you were the only person in this thread to present any contrary opinion, any further remark? Or we indeed put KIT as a major?
I'll wait for some days, and having no further arguments in contrary, make the proper adjustments

ETC

ETCCHILE
Added:

MKX Major Tournaments - Chile (minor)
(same criteria used to australian majors)

@ETC , @ETC Mcfly could you inform if there are other relevant tournaments in Chile/South America you are aware of?
This was the largest tournament that has been made this year in Chile and South America. We have let minors play with their parents accompanying them.

Now in South America a great tournament in Paraguay (this weekend), next in Bolivia (10 and 11 October) and November in Brazil (Tetra championship) it is coming.