What's new

Categorizing MKX's relevant tournaments

TakeAChance

TYM White Knight
I personally always struggle labeling Toryuken. It's by far canada's biggest tournament for NRS and attracts FGC players from around the world for all games.

Hell the last two toryukens had New York, Toronto, Montreal, Chicago, and others in attendance with over 100+ entrants.

huh

Noob
Updated the OP with a list at the end.

Just as illustrated by what @TakeAChance and @Hollywood DMS wrote above, some tournaments are very hard to put in a majors/regionals category. That's why I'm currently tending to call those big regionals/small majors as "minors" in a category of their own.

So, for now, just to play along, could you help out categorizing the tournaments at the end of the list in majors/minors/regionals? After a while, if we wipe the "minors" category, then we just put all of them under majors, and label some minors as regionals if needed.

So, as of July 20th 2015, the list looks like:

Grand Slam: EVO (NA)

-----------
Majors (and Minors)

While it is not established otherwise, I'll put them temporarily as Majors (maj) and Minors (min). It is absolutely open at this time. If anyone has a different opinion about any specific tournament, please post and we'll try to reach a common denominator.

NA: CEO (maj), Northwest Majors (min), Toryuken (min), KIT (min)

EU: Dreamhack (maj)

----------
Regionals:

NA: Texas Showdown, MWC

----------
To be classified:

MKX Asia Pacific Championship
VSFighting - UK (major or minor?)
The Commonwealth - US (major or minor?)
ComboBreaker - US (major or minor?)
SoCal Regionals - US (major or minor?)
NorCal Regionals - US (major or minor?)
ECT - US (major or minor?)
The Fall Classic - US
Winter Brawl - US (major or minor?)
Final Round - US (major or minor?)
Summer Jam - US (major or minor?)
NEC Championships - US (major or minor?)

Last edited:

A F0xy Grampa

Problem X Promotions
Isn't there a big tournament in Paris also? If I'm not mistaken @Nivek did say he won it in MK9
I won the MKX one, it was the kombat kup league final, there were multiple qualifiers in each country.

The kombat kup as a whole was a massive league with a shit tonne of entrants.

I don't think it's fair to give more weight to eu events just because some1 from the UK got 2nd at EVO.
Our events should've been treated with the same respect regardless.

huh

Noob
I won the MKX one, it was the kombat kup league final, there were multiple qualifiers in each country.

The kombat kup as a whole was a massive league with a shit tonne of entrants.
Thanks F0xy

And the Kombat Kup qualifiers would be described as regionals?
The Kombat Kup Finals as a major?

How do we get a list of other relevant EU tournaments?

I don't think it's fair to give more weight to eu events just because some1 from the UK got 2nd at EVO.
Our events should've been treated with the same respect regardless.
You're absolutely right

A F0xy Grampa

Problem X Promotions
Thanks F0xy

And the Kombat Kup qualifiers would be described as regionals?
The Kombat Kup Finals as a major?

How do we get a list of other relevant EU tournaments?

You're absolutely right
Well some regions had multiple qualifiers, the UK had 4, each capping out the entrants number. But places like Sweden had 1 event (dreamhack) to qualify.

Overall it was the entirety of Europe the Middle East, Russia, some of Asia and South africa.

So that's alot of players. But only 16 players could qualify for the finals with 1 representative per region.

huh

Noob
Well some regions had multiple qualifiers, the UK had 4, each capping out the entrants number. But places like Sweden had 1 event (dreamhack) to qualify.

Overall it was the entirety of Europe the Middle East, Russia, some of Asia and South africa.

So that's alot of players. But only 16 players could qualify for the finals with 1 representative per region.
So maybe the qualifiers are locals, and the finals can be classified majors, or could it be considered perhaps a Grand Slam, like EVO?

You would say it would be like the grand slam of Europe? Or only EVO could be called a grand slam tournament and Kombat Kup Finals would be a major? Since I have no knowledge whatsoever with tournaments outside NA, I really depend on the knowledge of those who attended tournaments in both continents to try to put them in a fair category

d3v

SRK
And that would be, in your opinion, skill-wise and regarding award's, comparable to what kind of tournaments in NA?
The problem with this is that we don't see enough competition between East Asia and the US in MKX.

The closest point of reference I can think of is MKXAPAC champsion Timcruz placing 49th at Evo, higher than players like Wonder Chef and Pig, and tied with Carl.
Of course, that's just 1 player in 1 tournament, and we can't really get a good comparison using that.

Reactions: huh

Colares

Noob
There's a new side to this that I'm seeing now. That seed could be given to smaller tournaments to increase the number of entrants
Such as Mitsuowens plan of raising a german community, Yomi people will probably have one big tournament.
What would be the idea?

huh

Noob
So for now, I'm putting APAC as a minor, since it seems that it is less competitive than CEO, but it's too big to be a regional. If someone has any other opinion about that, please let me know.

Also, there is a lack of tournaments in Europe. Is that it? Kombat Kup, Dreamhack and VSF?

Updated the OP with the following:

Grand Slam: EVO

-----------
Majors (and Minors)

While it is not established otherwise, I'll put them temporarily as Majors (maj) and Minors (min). It is absolutely open at this time. If anyone has a different opinion about any specific tournament, please post and we'll try to reach a common denominator.

NA:
CEO (maj)
The Commonwealth (maj)
ComboBreaker (maj)
ECT (maj)
The Fall Classic (maj)
Winter Brawl (maj)
Final Round (maj)
Summer Jam (maj)
NEC Championships (maj)

Northwest Majors (min)
Toryuken (min)
KIT (min)

EU:
Dreamhack (maj)

VSFighting (min)

Asia:
MKX Asia Pacific Championship (min)

----------
Regionals:

NA:
Texas Showdown
MWC

----------
To be classified:

SoCal Regionals - US (major or minor?)
NorCal Regionals - US (major or minor?)
Kombat Kup - EU (grand slam or major?)

huh

Noob
Hi guys

so I'm bumping thia. Any more info regarding EU tournaments? It seems lacking a lot so far quantity-wise.

I also decided to keep all tournaments considered as majors nowadays as majors. But still keep the minors category for tournaments that are today considered to be regionals, but are big enough to create some doubts: Toryuken for instance. And in UK, VSF (unless some EU guys disagree and think it is a major)

huh

Noob
With EGL and VSFighting coming this weekend, the doubt is:

VSFighting can be really called a minor, or is a major?

What EGL is?

huh

Noob
So, considering players from all EU are going, and a good amount of entrants, VSF could be categorized as a major?
Could it be, in magnitude, comparable to ECT, Summer Jam, TCW?

Or it is more like Toryuken in terms of size?

huh

Noob
I also added Fightfest in Louisville as a regional. If anyone knows of other tournaments not listed at the end of the OP, please inform.

huh

Noob
EGL updated as a major.
Australian tournaments added.

One more doubt:

Red Fight District in Amsterdam: minor or regional according to the criteria here? It is Toryuken size or Texas Showdown size?

@nindo @PND_Ketchup

Could help clarify?

haketh

Noob
Northwest Majors is a regional BTW, we aint big enough for NRS games for Major status despite the name

haketh

Noob
yeah what the fluff man. We had all the top talent this year. Theres no way this is NOT a major. Please disregard this fool
I mean if it happens again next year yeah, but even with my biases I can't put it on the same level as something like CEO, NEC, CB/UFGT etc etc. People seem to view being a regional as a bad thing when it's anything but, hell I've been going to NWM since 1 and it's one of my favorite tournaments to go to. Even most of Anime which NWM is a bigger thing for it than MK considers it a Regional.

Also yeah no way in hell NCR is a major lmao