What's new

Can we please stop caring whether or not a tournament is a major or a regional

Hitbox_Tyrant

"R.T.S.D" -Alex Valle
The main thing that provokes all this fuss is when people say "this is the most stacked major since EVO etc." People get confused between facts and opinions. Lets just stop throwing around words like that bcuz it really doesnt matter at the end of the day. Whoever wins/ gets top 8, outplayed everyone to deserve it.

RapZiLLa54

Monster Island Tournaments
I agree the discussion is rather silly and mute. It would be like complaining that the turnout was low when you didn't show up...

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
People really shouldn't get their feelings hurt over saying a major is stacked, though. So far, I thought TFC was stacked.. Then NEC was super stacked, and Final Round was also completely ridiculous (that top 32! don't think we've ever seen anything like it).

At the end of the day, it shouldn't be considered wrong to express your opinion (for example, is it really wrong to speak up about who you think the best player of a character is, on a competitive gaming forum?), as long as people remember that it's just that: an opinion. So don't take it as gospel, and don't be offended when someone has a different opinion than yours.

At the end of the day, Fred Marvel surprisingly hit the nail on the head here. The important thing is who you had to beat to reach your goal. If you are taking out some of the top players in the game, there's no shame in it, regardless of where they're from.

I'm looking forward to MLG and UFGT though, where we will see the fruits of all these majors/regionals/locals/stacked locals and see what really seems to count when the most is on the line. Let's go!

StevoSuprem0

I'm gonna make this skill gap... disappear.
For some reason people don't seems willing to accept that it should only be based on number of entrants and history of the tournament. Seems to me this all stems from the situation of if for some reason a bunch of good people show up and don't manage to get top 8, they can just do this passive-aggressive option select game of "oh, but that was a major, pools were super stacked, shit 2 stronk dawg". Shut up. Play. The. Game.

RapZiLLa54

Monster Island Tournaments
For some reason people don't seems willing to accept that it should only be based on number of entrants and history of the tournament. Seems to me this all stems from the situation of if for some reason a bunch of good people show up and don't manage to get top 8, they can just do this passive-aggressive option select game of "oh, but that was a major, pools were super stacked, shit 2 stronk dawg". Shut up. Play. The. Game.
Missed you at ECT man!

TotteryManx

cr. HP Master
I'm 99.9% sure ECT is a major. Just because a few people on this site say it isn't does not make that true. It's a proven tournament and I never see the Capcom players questioning its prestige. Just because x and y didn't attend does not make it a regional lol. That just means x and y missed out on the major.

NRF CharlieMurphy

Kindergarten Meta
at this point with the knowledge we have

MLG is the only true "major" that should actually count as such. That should be your comparison point now.

Everything else is a regional with bracketology :)

16 Bit

Mash d+1~Cat Claws
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
This is the problem I had which I sort of explained in the other thread -

Apex, DTN, CW, etc are considered regionals because they're historically considered regionals and are basically meant to be that, and I'm okay with it. But when you have a tournament that has been historically considered a major suddenly being titled a regional it comes across like you're disrespecting it, whether you mean to or not (and I don't think DMS necessarily meant it like that). Like can we be serious in that the east coast "bias" has been looking more like east coast tournaments just don't mean anything.

I agree and that is why I judged ECT a major. It historically has been and even though this year was not as big as past years you can't penalize the players that went and beat everyone put in front of them.

You're also right that these East Coast tournaments are being devalued. EC players need to have an honest look into why that is. IMO there's two main reasons. One is the amount. When it feels like there's one every 3 weeks they carry less weight. Two is the TO's reputation. Both reasons cause players from outside the region to skip them and go to other tournaments.

Vagrant

Noob
The whole system is flawed.

You can't consistently label tournaments as "regional" "major" etc. Because the amount of people that travel to them every year for each game is different.

A historical major might put up regional numbers and vice versa. It depends on the state of the game and the game's community.

Really the only tournament I can think of that should consistently be considered a major is Evolution because it gets the most entrants every year. All the other tourneys flip flop attendance numbers depending on what is going on what year with what scene in what game.

Last edited:
the argument i could see for Apex and DTN being considered "Regionals" is that they are primarily for another game but if we are going by that Definition then KIT is a regional because its primarily for Tekken

RIF

Noob
As the competitive scene moves forward in every game. Each passing generation it becomes less about the game and more about padding one's stats. Sad truth
This self-aggrandizing attitude is becoming more and more prevalent everyday across the nation. It is not limited strictly to gaming. This medium is just a microcosm of a larger societal issue. (I agree with your statement, just adding onto it.)

Relaxedstate

PTH|RM Relaxedstate
This is the problem I had which I sort of explained in the other thread -

Apex, DTN, CW, etc are considered regionals because they're historically considered regionals and are basically meant to be that, and I'm okay with it. But when you have a tournament that has been historically considered a major suddenly being titled a regional it comes across like you're disrespecting it, whether you mean to or not (and I don't think DMS necessarily meant it like that). Like can we be serious in that the east coast "bias" has been looking more like east coast tournaments just don't mean anything.
Technically APEX and CW are historically majors as well. DtN advertises as a major so by next year I would give it that status as well (Although I would call it that now because there is no difference between DtN and ECT except 15-20 ish people?). They were both majors, mostly consisting of the usual EC players.

To everyone else: Because we have no consistent pro tour standards in competition there is no way to objectively differentiate between major/regional. (unless you want to downplay the skill level of the competition, which is illogical if one scene never travels to another).
They are synonymous for all intensive purposes. Thus they are all effectively majors.

REALLY, the only distinction one can make is whether the major was less stacked or more stacked, but this is a personal opinion, and should be responded to as such. A major doesn't magically turn into a regional, or vice versa, depending on who shows up that weekend. All majors are by default 'regionals' since they draw out the locals (grass root majors). They then become stacked majors if lots of talented people show up from everywhere.

IMO, there are locals (GGA, ToTFC, CFAS, 8otB ect) , majors (SCR, Apex, NWM, CW, ECT, KIT), and championships (EVO, MLG). Each can be more or less 'stacked' . But it is better to say 'less stacked' than regional because then I can blow you up for downplaying the competition :).

@Immortal Kombat has won a major, @Digit has won a major, @EMPEROR_JUPITER has won multiple majors. Everyone can hold that if you disagree. None of these players were at the others, so there is no good reason to downplay their event except to be mean / downplay their skill. It isn't their fault no one traveled to their event and there is no way to say that one is better than the other. This is the time where all the major winners should go to EVO/MLG and prove their worth!

BTW, @CRUM made this awesome list of all the most notable tournaments to date. Every top 8 placer deserves props no matter what region their major was hosted in.
http://makeplaysnotexcuses.com/injustice-gods-among-us-tournament-results-database/

Immortal Kombat

almost moderate success
Technically APEX and CW are historically majors as well. DtN advertises as a major so by next year I would give it that status as well (Although I would call it that now because there is no difference between DtN and ECT except 15-20 ish people?). They were both majors, mostly consisting of the usual EC players.

To everyone else: Because we have no consistent pro tour standards in competition there is no way to objectively differentiate between major/regional. (unless you want to downplay the skill level of the competition, which is illogical if one scene never travels to another).
They are synonymous for all intensive purposes. Thus they are all effectively majors.

REALLY, the only distinction one can make is whether the major was less stacked or more stacked, but this is a personal opinion, and should be responded to as such. A major doesn't magically turn into a regional, or vice versa, depending on who shows up that weekend. All majors are by default 'regionals' since they draw out the locals (grass root majors). They then become stacked majors if lots of talented people show up from everywhere.

IMO, there are locals (GGA, ToTFC, CFAS, 8otB ect) , majors (SCR, Apex, NWM, CW, ECT, KIT), and championships (EVO, MLG). Each can be more or less 'stacked' . But it is better to say 'less stacked' than regional because then I can blow you up for downplaying the competition :).

@Immortal Kombat has won a major, @Digit has won a major, @EMPEROR_JUPITER has won multiple majors. Everyone can hold that if you disagree. None of these players were at the others, so there is no good reason to downplay their event except to be mean / downplay their skill. It isn't their fault no one traveled to their event and there is no way to say that one is better than the other. This is the time where all the major winners should go to EVO/MLG and prove their worth!

BTW, @CRUM made this awesome list of all the most notable tournaments to date. Every top 8 placer deserves props no matter what region their major was hosted in.
http://makeplaysnotexcuses.com/injustice-gods-among-us-tournament-results-database/
I cant speak for the other tournaments you listed but at nwm's...every other games community(sf,smash,tekken,etc.) shows up to nwm like the same way they would show up to scr, ufgt, or evo. We(the nrscommunity)are the only people with this mentality. If you guys saw the smash community at NWM's you would think wth is our communitys problem. Sf had $1,000 money matches(that actually happen), smash took up the entire bottom room at the venue of nwm, tekken had more people than us. Big names like tokido showed up for the sf community. They didnt say "oh,im not going cause its NWM". Every event is more important than the last event. Until we fully understand this, we will continue to be put on side steeams and
and pushed aside. Thanks forbthe kind words relaxed!