What's new

Book needs Tournament player's help.

BookBurning

Voidwards
Hi guys.

Ahem..

Anyways, there always comes these moments while playing where I stop and think to myself; am I a decent player, or perhaps I'm just mediocre or maybe even I'm garbage. The problem with me is that I live in Iowa where there is no local competition, tournaments, nothing. This can be very frustrating for someone who wants to compete at Mortal Kombat when they never have the opportunity to sit down with someone good and practice. There is one thing though I will say, and even as an online player, I fully believe that online makes you worse.

Today I played someone well known, a tournament player, and at the beginning I was fairly confident, but after loss after loss I began to feel very demoralized and kind of went on auto-pilot mode. I really didn't like any second of it and after awhile I felt like I was just wasting this guy's time, lowering his opinion of me and so forth.

So I mean, what do I do? Even though that match was also online, I feel that playing a good player online is still vastly better than just playing randoms or easy opponents, because they're more likely to beat my face in for doing online gimmicks. All in all I'm grateful for the match, or any match I get like that because it reminds me that I have a long road ahead of me, and keeps me from totally stagnating. So, should I just not play randoms online at all and isolate myself to playing only well known and proven good players? I don't really have much of a choice and I know that if I do this I'll hardly get any games in. Or should I just avoid online altogether and just go to practice mode?

My problem with the later is that it's boring and I never have the ability to feel like I've improved. I'm scared that if I did that, my interest in the game would slowly dwindle and ultimately, I'd go back online anyways. So what's a guy like me to do with no local comp?

Quit?

Skitzo

Noob
I got no local comp either man, i live in south texas; that torpedo shaped area, no one down here plays this game lol

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
I don't have much of a local scene, either. Tbh, most of my experience comes from online (Though I have traveled to tournaments, a weekend with the top will help you get better, but it's not gonna be the end-all).

A lot of it comes from grinding out the game, and playing the right people. When you surround yourself with good players, the one thing that will help you get better is the drive to start winning vs them. Also, chatting about the matchups with other players as you play them can help you understand it better.

Playing randoms can help, because you are made aware to more playstyles on the characters, but make sure you are trying to play the good randoms.

Yes, online is the worst place to play, but if you don't have the ideal scenario, it's all you've got. It's, by no means, a bad thing, though. Guys like Forever King and Kevo are some of the talent bred by online play. You just have to expose yourself to more good players like them.

Death

Noob
Hi guys.

Ahem..

Anyways, there always comes these moments while playing where I stop and think to myself; am I a decent player, or perhaps I'm just mediocre or maybe even I'm garbage. The problem with me is that I live in Iowa where there is no local competition, tournaments, nothing. This can be very frustrating for someone who wants to compete at Mortal Kombat when they never have the opportunity to sit down with someone good and practice. There is one thing though I will say, and even as an online player, I fully believe that online makes you worse.

Today I played someone well known, a tournament player, and at the beginning I was fairly confident, but after loss after loss I began to feel very demoralized and kind of went on auto-pilot mode. I really didn't like any second of it and after awhile I felt like I was just wasting this guy's time, lowering his opinion of me and so forth.

So I mean, what do I do? Even though that match was also online, I feel that playing a good player online is still vastly better than just playing randoms or easy opponents, because they're more likely to beat my face in for doing online gimmicks. All in all I'm grateful for the match, or any match I get like that because it reminds me that I have a long road ahead of me, and keeps me from totally stagnating. So, should I just not play randoms online at all and isolate myself to playing only well known and proven good players? I don't really have much of a choice and I know that if I do this I'll hardly get any games in. Or should I just avoid online altogether and just go to practice mode?

My problem with the later is that it's boring and I never have the ability to feel like I've improved. I'm scared that if I did that, my interest in the game would slowly dwindle and ultimately, I'd go back online anyways. So what's a guy like me to do with no local comp?

Quit?
Are you talking about our matches that we just did???I dunno if you were talking about me but man in case you were I had no idea you felt that way. I didnt feel like you were wasting my time at all. Those games were really fun and that connection was amazing. I tried adding you after but your friend list was full.

Again, i dunno if this was aim towards me. I thought maybe because we just played 20 mins ago but if its directed somewhere else i apologize.

BookBurning

Voidwards
Well I want to personally thank every single one of you tournament players who have sat there with me in one on one's then despite winning 24/7. Sometimes it can be nerve wracking watching to see if someone will click yes for a rematch after stomping me over and over. Also I have to give shoutouts to Rm Death who beat me so bad that I felt like writing this.

All I can say is please be patient with me because I feel like I have potential to be a good player someday and please play with me from time to time; all of you. I'll try to make whatever investment worthwhile by competing at majors and doing the best I can. And to everyone who has let me consistently landed a JIP and was hit by every reset or pressure continuation I pulled, screw you, you've made me worse. :/

Anyways all in all, please try to not look at me as just another online player to ignore and I will be more grateful than you know for all your games.

Edit: and Death Yeah it made me kind of re-think my stance on how good I was. Mostly because we did have a great connection and I kept getting my ass handed to me haha. But I had fun too man. :)

rev0lver

Come On Die Young
So I mean, what do I do?
You reflect on what you did wrong, the opportunities you had and missed, and keep looking for holes or patterns in your opponent's play. Then you go back and kick their ass. Ask Death about my baby on him after he got like 4 in a row on me, lol. You can't expect it to happen instantly, however.

STB Sgt Reed

Online Warrior
If it makes you feel any better... I felt like I sucked ass after playing Death as well, Book. haha ... though, you're better than me so... yeah, probably doesn't help.

Faded Dreams V

Retired June 2012. Unretired June 2013.
I'm by no means a tournament player, and won't claim to be at a skill level to place at any major or local tournament, but I'm sure anyone who does attend tournaments will agree with the following general tips if your goal is to improve your skills using online as your only resource to get games in:

1. Stop going to random Lag of the Hills. These are super fun for casual play with friends, but random ones will screw you over. People of varying skill levels pop in and out, and their connections vary too. It's just not viable for competitive play.

2. As THTB said, if you stick to playing randoms, make sure their skill level is not far below your own. Ranked is bad because the matchmaking is garbage. You do NOT want to pick up bad habits by playing scrubby players, so it's up to you to hunt down the best you can.

3. As mentioned, find the best players you can (preferably with good connections), add them as friends, and stick to playing them in sets. As you yourself experienced, there is a huge difference between good offline players and run of the mill players online. A Mileena like Death's is much different than a random one in ranked. A Sub-Zero like Lionheart's is a whole other level from pretty much every Sub you'll encounter online. A Cage like F0xy's is worlds beyond any you'll find in lobbies. And so on.

4. After playing such players, don't feel bad about losing. There's a reason you lost. Find it. Evaluate what you did wrong. Also, try to get a grasp of their fundamentals. For example, the first time you played online, you likely jumped in a lot like a jackass, but when you first played a good player, you realized that jump-in punches will get you blown up in most instances. Try to incorporate the general tactics those advanced players used into the playstyle of your own character. Understand spacing, anti-airing, and general footsies. This is hard in lag, which is why you want to seek people with good connections. Otherwise, you're just gonna have people freely jumping in, and inadvertently abusing lag for wins.

Name v.5.0

Iowa's Finest.
Yo Book, we have a local scene here in Cedar Rapids and monthly tournaments. Fuck, we have one TOMORROW. I know you live a couple hours away, but hey, it's Iowa, we dont get many opportunities. We will be playing MK9 tomorrow. I cant guarantee there will be a lot of us, but we ARE playing it.

We are also playing SC5, UMVC3, SF4 2012, KoF and many more. So come on out. Here's a link to the tourney:

http://shoryuken.com/forum/index.php?threads/feb-25-2012-iowa-monthly-series-mvc-sf-sc-kof-plus-more-cedar-rapids-ia.153790/#post-6552366

STB Bodam

"Game... Blouses."
Book,
If it makes you feel any better -- you make me feel the same way. I get all nervous, throw it into auto-pilot mode and feel like straight garbage after I play you. I don't know what it is about you but whatever character you pick, you just wreck me with...every_singe_time. I start to feel like I waste your time and lower your opinion of me which really sucks.

I don't know, man. I'm sure my opinion doesn't count for much but I talk you up to every player I know or at least says to me that "I'm a great Rain player."

Do what you do, Book! Stop thinking you're bad. You're excellent and that Curbo reference was golden, bro.

PND_Ketchup

"More deadly than the dawn"
Is there NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO way you can ever compete?

I don't know how you feel about yourself mate, but i can say that you're the best rain i've ever fought. Would be a waste for the tournament scene to miss out on having a rain like that on stream once or twice.

Take care man, i don't think you should quit.

GNG Iniquity

#bufftaquito #punchwalk #whiffycage
2. As THTB said, if you stick to playing randoms, make sure their skill level is not far below your own. Ranked is bad because the matchmaking is garbage. You do NOT want to pick up bad habits by playing scrubby players, so it's up to you to hunt down the best you can.
As a PS3 player, the service lately has been HORRIBLE. I mean, god fucking awful. The rooms no longer load and are dead throughout the days. I've HAD to resort to playing ranked and facing lagged out Scorpion's from Brazil lately due to the inability to find viable competition outside of my friend's list. Even if I do get into a room, it's generally occupied by people with a low amount of matches who deny me simply because I've played more than them. It's idiotic. Forget PS3 at this point, NRS fucked it over royally.

3. As mentioned, find the best players you can (preferably with good connections), add them as friends, and stick to playing them in sets. As you yourself experienced, there is a huge difference between good offline players and run of the mill players online. A Mileena like Death's is much different than a random one in ranked. A Sub-Zero like Lionheart's is a whole other level from pretty much every Sub you'll encounter online. A Cage like F0xy's is worlds beyond any you'll find in lobbies. And so on.
Yes, I certainly agree with that, but it requires at least attempting to organize some times that you can play together with players of that caliber. Unfortunately, it's really all you can do, especially with the inability to find viable competition on PS3.

4. After playing such players, don't feel bad about losing. There's a reason you lost. Find it. Evaluate what you did wrong. Also, try to get a grasp of their fundamentals. For example, the first time you played online, you likely jumped in a lot like a jackass, but when you first played a good player, you realized that jump-in punches will get you blown up in most instances. Try to incorporate the general tactics those advanced players used into the playstyle of your own character. Understand spacing, anti-airing, and general footsies. This is hard in lag, which is why you want to seek people with good connections. Otherwise, you're just gonna have people freely jumping in, and inadvertently abusing lag for wins.
I can agree with this statement, though I'm certainly guilty of feeling disheartened after being bodied after playing players who clearly devote more time and understand the game far more than myself. I do admittedly enjoy playing other players more around my skill level, simply because I feel like I'm wasting the time of these players of which I'm essentially a free win to. My other problem is that I'm completely unable to take online seriously, I can't take it in a competitive nature after getting so overly frustrated to the verge of throwing my TV off my balcony in the past. Online is a catastrophic failure imo and it amazes me that people have the patience to put up with it. A single lag spike alone kills my momentum and will completely throw my round.

Panque

Random foreign guy
I wish I could even join a match with Death online, but I always get disconnected when I try to play someone from TYM (Aside from Bidu ofc, we're both in Brazil)...
But I do play some top players from here (They are VERY underrated imo, they don't get half the credit the guys on Chile get, but they are so much better...) Anyways, I always feel a bit emo when they hand my ass to me with secondaries... And as salty as a human being can get when they change characters because I want to keep trying to learn the matchup and to win but then I'm put in a whole different situation, and usually get bodied again... But that is more motivating than frustrating I guess...

lazybird123

Purple Belt in BJJ, White Belt in MK
No need to feel bad, in fact, I always enjoy getting blown up by good players because I learn a LOT. Its a lot better than losing to some scrub online because somehow they can interrupt your strings with uppercuts and your JIPs never work.

I played the #2 guy on PSN (I THINK its Michaelangelo but I could be wrong) and both times I got him he flawlessed me in the first round and I just laughed and would do much better in the second round. In fact, both times right after the match I would blow up the next guy using the same tactics I learned getting blown up by him

GNG Iniquity

No need to feel bad, in fact, I always enjoy getting blown up by good players because I learn a LOT. Its a lot better than losing to some scrub online because somehow they can interrupt your strings with uppercuts and your JIPs never work.

I played the #2 guy on PSN (I THINK its Michaelangelo but I could be wrong) and both times I got him he flawlessed me in the first round and I just laughed and would do much better in the second round.
I think I've played MA online. Michaeloangelopurp? His Kung Lao (I guess this is his new char?) was terrifying. Annihilated my Quan Chi. It's practically a un-winnable MU to begin with but I felt raped afterwards.

lazybird123

I think I've played ML online. Michaeloangelopurp? His Kung Lao (I guess this is his new char?) was terrifying. Annihilated my Quan Chi. It's practically a un-winnable MU to begin with but I felt raped afterwards.
Yeah, I'm sure its him because of the name and how good he is. The second time I played him I thought he'd use the same strategy and I thought I was prepared for him, and he just blew me up in a completely different way. lol

GNG Iniquity

Yeah, I'm sure its him because of the name and how good he is. The second time I played him I thought he'd use the same strategy and I thought I was prepared for him, and he just blew me up in a completely different way. lol
It's a shame he isn't as active anymore. I still consider him one of the best players, he's a genuinely nice guy too. I can understand his frustration with the inability to find local comp and the aggravation with having to travel constantly to get it.

lazybird123

It's a shame he isn't as active anymore. I still consider him one of the best players, he's a genuinely nice guy too.
He was supposed to come down to the last big tourney we had in SoCal and he missed SCR because he was late, hopefully we'll see him at the next one in a few weeks

GNG Iniquity

He was supposed to come down to the last big tourney we had in SoCal and he missed SCR because he was late, hopefully we'll see him at the next one in a few weeks
I have no doubt he would've won it. No offense to the SCR attendees but that guy is a beast and from what I know he has a ridiculous command of half the cast now, he's so unpredictable.

lazybird123

I have no doubt he would've won it. No offense to the SCR attendees but that guy is a beast and from what I know he has a ridiculous command of half the cast now, he's so unpredictable.
We don't have anything to worry about now that I got the 411 on his Kung Lao :D Haha, he'll have an easy time if all our guys are busy playing SC5 like last time