What's new

Breakthrough - A-List [Beta Closed] Lets talk about A-list as is during Beta

Status
Not open for further replies.

Somea2V

Thread Referee
The Cage community is going to hate me for this

But I think if the following chars rumoured to get nerfed is true, Cage as in total is Top 5 I cannot see why not
Oh, that's certainly possible. With Cassie getting hit hard, it would only take some reasonable balancing to other top tiers to give Johnny a good argument for top tier, as someone who can fight anyone.

FoughtDragon01

Ask me about my Mileena agenda.
The Cage community is going to hate me for this

But I think if the following chars rumoured to get nerfed is true, Cage as in total is Top 5 I cannot see why not
The fact that a fair number of folks thought that Cage was mid-tier at best when this game first came out makes this possibility very amusing to me.

#No50/50s #Trash-Tier

IrishMantis

Most humble shit talker ever!!!
The fact that a fair number of folks thought that Cage was mid-tier at best when this game first came out makes this fact very amusing to me.
Yeah the Cage community was/is down playing Central.

But I hope they can accept what he will be and not use the silly "hard to play" agreement we be fine

If you check my post history you would see I knew Cage was trouble from the get go (assume from whiffing issues) But hay they call me an up player: :p

Last edited:

Somea2V

Thread Referee
The fact that a fair number of folks thought that Cage was mid-tier at best when this game first came out makes this possibility very amusing to me.

#No50/50s #Trash-Tier
Eh, it was never a lack of fifties that made me think he was mid to upper mid tier. It was just the narrow scope of what he did great. I didn't think you would get that far off of chipping people out with a pressure character. Because let's be honest, no one who actually knows the match is going to get hit for actual damage all that much.

FoughtDragon01

Eh, it was never a lack of fifties that made me think he was mid to upper mid tier. It was just the narrow scope of what he did great. I didn't think you would get that far off of chipping people out with a pressure character. Because let's be honest, no one who actually knows the match is going to get hit for actual damage all that much.
And that is one thing I've always considered when thinking about Cage's overall placement, because I've played some very good players who were never opened up from his normals alone. The free chip, to me, is just a nice way to build up bar for armored counter poking/zoning. Only through whiff punishing and from establishing fear of his grab was I able to start dealing damage. From my experience, it's insane how a few well-placed staggers into grabs will make people press buttons at the worst times. Of course, I doubt this playstyle is unique to Johnny alone, but it definitely helps him play his game.

He may not be the absolute best, but if things keep going the way they are now as far as buffs/nerfs go, I do think Johnny will have a nice spot somewhere near the top.

Last edited:

The Dragon Chief

#BuffKenshi2016
Johnny Cage is an amazing character and he will definitely be viable, if not top tier, when everything is finally released for the regular version. I also played some of the regular online today and I don't think I ever want to go back.

ismael4790

Stay focused or get Caged
A-List is very good. Even with a slight nerf he will continue being good. Don't worry A-Listers. You will still have good pressure after march 1. You are thousands of miles away of reaching the trashy levels of Fisticuffs:p

AK L0rdoftheFLY

I hatelove this game
Let me ask 3 questions.

1) Do the whiff punishing abilities of f3 make up for his "lack of 50/50s?

2) does the guess between d4 and f2 count as a 50/50? If not, WHY not?

3) if I can hit people with Nightwing standing 2 in staff, why can 11(3) and 11 (f2) be a solid mixup?

FoughtDragon01

1) Do the whiff punishing abilities of f3 make up for his "lack of 50/50s?
Let's be honest, with the way he currently plays, if Johnny Cage had 50/50s that led into combos, he'd be utterly disgusting, as every single touch would end with you in a guessing game between high/low/grab, and in A-List especially, he'd be able to make himself safe every time you block correctly. Granted, there still are characters who can whiff punish with the best of 'em and still have 50/50s (Jax, for example), but I wouldn't say Cage needs them in order to compete. His f3 is a very good footsie tool and I would definitely say that its whiff punishing abilities allow him to play his game without the need for 50/50s, at least in A-List. On block, it grants him free pressure, and on hit, it easily leads into upwards of a 28% combo into restand, 40% if you can sneak in a grab at the end of it, all for no meter.

Of course, MUs where Johnny's f3 is outfootsied by other moves is where things get tricky, but the ability to backdash out of f3 on whiff can bait out a lot of advances, and those, you're free to punish. So yes, even if it isn't this amazing cover-all move, I do believe that his f3 makes up for the lack of 50/50s as it offers more versatility, and without it, he'd be nowhere near as good as he is now.

2) does the guess between d4 and f2 count as a 50/50? If not, WHY not?
The guess between d4 and f2 is a 50/50 in the same vein as, say, the guess between Mileena's f234 and f23xEx-Roll. One option does piss damage, the other leads to a full combo, so it's obvious which one you'll want to block. And trust me, there are players out there who will NEVER block a d4 no matter how many times they eat it. And on the flipside, you have players who constantly block low after a d4 for some odd reason. d4 only counts as Johnny's only low combo starter because it jails into f3 on hit, but all your opponent needs to do is block and not try to press buttons like an idiot and they'll be fine.

The low damage from d4 doesn't make it an effective 50/50 tool, but it is a hell of a frustration tool. Again, it jails into f3 quite easily, so each hit basically grants you free pressure and meter build, and that's not even mentioning its low-profiling capabilities. Give it enough time and your opponent may start trying to block it. That's when f2 comes to say hello.

So even if it technically is a 50/50, it's a pretty weak one. The likes of Erron Black, Sonya, and Quan Chi see it and just laugh.

3) if I can hit people with Nightwing standing 2 in staff, why can 11(3) and 11 (f2) be a solid mixup?
Unfortunately, I can't really answer this one that well as I've never played Injustice, but anyone calling 11(3)/11 (f2) a good mixup needs to play better opponents. It may have worked in the beginning when we didn't know any better, but Cage mains won't be getting away with that anymore. One armored interruption is all it'll take for them to never try that crap again. 1 (f2) is better, but a good player will quickly catch on to that one as well.

AK L0rdoftheFLY

I hatelove this game
Let's be honest, with the way he currently plays, if Johnny Cage had 50/50s that led into combos, he'd be utterly disgusting, as every single touch would end with you in a guessing game between high/low/grab, and in A-List especially, he'd be able to make himself safe every time you block correctly. Granted, there still are characters who can whiff punish with the best of 'em and still have 50/50s (Jax, for example), but I wouldn't say Cage needs them in order to compete. His f3 is a very good footsie tool and I would definitely say that its whiff punishing abilities allow him to play his game without the need for 50/50s, at least in A-List. On block, it grants him free pressure, and on hit, it easily leads into upwards of a 28% combo into restand, 40% if you can sneak in a grab at the end of it, all for no meter.

Of course, MUs where Johnny's f3 is outfootsied by other moves is where things get tricky, but the ability to backdash out of f3 on whiff can bait out a lot of advances, and those, you're free to punish. So yes, even if it isn't this amazing cover-all move, I do believe that his f3 makes up for the lack of 50/50s as it offers more versatility, and without it, he'd be nowhere near as good as he is now.

The guess between d4 and f2 is a 50/50 in the same vein as, say, the guess between Mileena's f234 and f23xEx-Roll. One option does piss damage, the other leads to a full combo, so it's obvious which one you'll want to block. And trust me, there are players out there who will NEVER block a d4 no matter how many times they eat it. And on the flipside, you have players who constantly block low after a d4 for some odd reason. d4 only counts as Johnny's only low combo starter because it jails into f3 on hit, but all your opponent needs to do is block and not try to press buttons like an idiot and they'll be fine.

The low damage from d4 doesn't make it an effective 50/50 tool, but it is a hell of a frustration tool. Again, it jails into f3 quite easily, so each hit basically grants you free pressure and meter build, and that's not even mentioning its low-profiling capabilities. Give it enough time and your opponent may start trying to block it. That's when f2 comes to say hello.

So even if it technically is a 50/50, it's a pretty weak one. The likes of Erron Black, Sonya, and Quan Chi see it and just laugh.

Unfortunately, I can't really answer this one that well as I've never played Injustice, but anyone calling 11(3)/11 (f2) a good mixup needs to play better opponents. It may have worked in the beginning when we didn't know any better, but Cage mains won't be getting away with that anymore. One armored interruption is all it'll take for them to never try that crap again. 1 (f2) is better, but a good player will quickly catch on to that one as well.
To the third point...why?

FoughtDragon01

To the third point...why?
I assume you mean why the 113/f2 mixup isn't that good? Because it's easily fuzzy-guarded when fighting someone who keeps an eye out for it. People only get away with it nowadays if the opponent doesn't know the matchup. Again, 1 (f2) is more effective as it messes with their timing if they're expecting 113, as does staggering 11s into either 113 or f2, but not only are you still not guaranteed to open up a good opponent, but staggering allows them to armor through or backdash every time. Does everyone have the reactions to block the 'mixups' or to armor through the gaps? No, but I'm assuming we're speaking in terms of high-level play, where things like that are generally punished on a consistent basis if used too frequently.

AK L0rdoftheFLY

I hatelove this game
I assume you mean why the 113/f2 mixup isn't that good? Because it's easily fuzzy-guarded when fighting someone who keeps an eye out for it. People only get away with it nowadays if the opponent doesn't know the matchup. Again, 1 (f2) is more effective as it messes with their timing if they're expecting 113, as does staggering 11s into either 113 or f2, but not only are you still not guaranteed to open up a good opponent, but staggering allows them to armor through or backdash every time. Does everyone have the reactions to block the 'mixups' or to armor through the gaps? No, but I'm assuming we're speaking in terms of high-level play, where things like that are generally punished on a consistent basis if used too frequently.
That was going to be my next point. Staggering makes his overhead low mixups better.

Here is where I struggle to see your logic though...you say that's when people armor through, but he is already + and he has great options to break armor. Being + in your opponents face is a good thing. You make it sound like that because it is technically fuzzy gaurdable, it can never open people up.

No one can block forever.

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
It's more that defending against the 11 f2 and 113 mixup is just block high untill you get touched by a stand 1 then low block and if the enirety of the string doesn't come out you best block high. Any 50/50 johnny might have will always be between f2 and d4. That is definitely a real thing as f2 gives you a full combo ending in a reset- free pressure, and d4 leaves you like plus 20 something(I forget the exact number)- free pressure. And that's completely disregarding throws. Johnny does have mixups even if they aren't 50/50 hard to blockables, but they are never gonna be his selling point. Just take them for what they are pretty much.
Edit: not downplaying at all I don't even use a-list anymore I think he is easily a top 10 variation, S tier, all that kinda thing.

SylverRye

Official Loop Kang Main
People saying d4 being -6 is a big nerf, if thats all he gets, you guys are lucky. I assumed f3 would have been nerfed. I remember when i was in a cage thread (the characters downplay is so real), i said his f3 was a ridiculous move and i get blown up by cage mains saying he had no mixups. Ive been using a list ever since i saw dizzy play him and this character is ridiculous. The amount of different strings he can jail off of, the arc of his projectiles, that damn 11f mid forward advancing, jail on block cancel on whiff f3, his amazing stagger pressure.. i think he may be above liu now after lius nerfs.

If he escapes the nerf badt he will definitely be top 5 imo, especially because the top tiers are getting handled by nrs wrecking crew. I do love using a list though, hes incredibly fun, its just a lot of his community downplay him incredibly hard. Ive yet to see that here though thank god.

FoughtDragon01

That was going to be my next point. Staggering makes his overhead low mixups better.

Here is where I struggle to see your logic though...you say that's when people armor through, but he is already + and he has great options to break armor. Being + in your opponents face is a good thing. You make it sound like that because it is technically fuzzy gaurdable, it can never open people up.

No one can block forever.
You mean plus after his 11s or plus after his SKRCs? Because those are two different beasts. I'll have to look into this to rejog my memory, but even though the frame data says that 1 and 11 are +2, I think they're just 0. But even if he is + after the staggers, there will still be a 7-frame gap for the opponent to use, and while the armor breaking, especially with 12 is a good point, certain characters do have armored specials that are just too fast for that.

People got opened up by batman's stagger pressure all the time and his overhead was like 30-odd frames. Johnny cage not being able to open up high level players is the biggest bill
And I'm not trying to say that he can't open people up at all, just that it's theoretically not guaranteed no matter what he does. He can still get in, I'm not gonna deny that, and he has several ways to do so, but I still stand by my point that the basic 113/f2 mix-up with no staggering isn't going to get you very far against someone who knows the MU.

Somea2V

Thread Referee
People got opened up by batman's stagger pressure all the time and his overhead was like 30-odd frames. Johnny cage not being able to open up high level players is the biggest bill
Batman got more mileage off his ambiguous J2 and F3 could cross up, so saying it was all stagger pressure is pretty ignorant. And I don't believe the point was ever that Cage couldn't open people up, just that it was difficult at high levels or against people who actually learn matchups.

Status
Not open for further replies.