What's new

Best Variation of each character (My opinions)

CoolChameleon

Kamoflauged
I don't think it makes sense to talk about "Best Variations" without talking about match-ups.

If a character has a "Best Variation" for all match-ups, then the variations for that character were designed poorly.

Example- Grandmaster Sub-Zero. Probably the go-to "main" variation, but it has problems against character who can attack through it (like D'Vorah), or any character that can hugely mitigate or ignore the clone. Talking D'Vorah specifically, on paper Unbreakable should be the best, because both Swarm Queen and Venomous get a lot of damage from chip. In reality, it's probably still best to Cryo, but you can argue the point.
These are just what I think are the all around best, of course every variation has different match ups, but these are the ones that I think put in the most work.

Pan1cMode

AUS FGC represent!
Her 'zoning' is punishable and very ineffective at keeping people out. At best, it's useful in like 3-4 MUs. Otherwise it's a decent counter zoning tool and ok at checking your opponent from full screen.

Characters with better zoning:

- Quan
- Predator
- Kitanna
- Shinnok
- Tanya
- Liu Kang
- Kung Jin
- Kano
- Mileena
- Kenshi (yes, even Kenshi's zoning is better than Jacqui's)

Bomborge

Aspiring scrub
This is my list of what i think is the best variation of each character in mkx, if you think differently id love to hear your opinions in the comments below.

Jason: Relentless
Kung Lao: Tempest
Jax: Heavy Weapons
Sonya: Covert Ops
Kenshi: Possessed
Kitana: Royal Storm
Scorpion: Inferno
Sub-Zero: Grandmaster
Mileena: Piercing
Takeda: Ronin
Cassie: Hollywood
Jacqui: Full Auto
Kung Jin: Bojutsu
Tanya: Kobu Jutsu
Predator: Hish Qu-Ten
Shinnok: Bone Shaper
Kano: Cybernetic
Johnny Cage: A-List
Erron Black: Gunslinger
Liu Kang: Dragon Fire
Ermac: Master Of Souls
Kotal Kahn: Sun God
Reptile: Noxious
Ferra/Torr: Ruthless
D'Vorah: Swarm Queen
Raiden: Thunder God
Quan Chi: Summoner
Goro: Tigrar Fire
Tremor: Metallic
Lol at inferno being scorpion's best variation and gunslinger erron's. I know gunslinger is good now, but it still not better than Marksman or Outlaw.

Enexemander

A Hitbox Pirate - YARRR -
These are just what I think are the all around best, of course every variation has different match ups, but these are the ones that I think put in the most work.
Okay. Well, I disagree on Kano's behalf. I think Cutthroat should be his go to variation. It has safe 50/50s, higher damage, and he can use Charge Up (ex) off a mid hitting, advancing block strings to set up a 50/50 attempt. On top of this, he has almost all the strengths that Cybernetic has with the exception of mid-hitting knives (that do low damage).

After the latest patch, UpBall has great anti-air priority, on top of his already great D2, Kano-Ball Cancel, and anti-airing normals. Jumping in on a good Kano is as about as juicy a proposition as jumping in on Lao. Cybernetic's up-laser, even buffed, doesn't much add to his overall strength.

So really, when you're talking Cyber versus Cutthroat, you're talking trading mid-knives for safe, though short-ranged 50/50s, mainly. Weighing those options, I would think the 50/50s should out-weigh the knives in most match-ups?

Kingshootahz

Ain't nobody trilla than shootah.
Having now played jax for a while..heavy weapons is not his best variation, they are all equal like exactly equal because whatever one loses it gains it back through a different method but if needed I would say pumped up has the edge.

CoolChameleon

Kamoflauged
Her 'zoning' is punishable and very ineffective at keeping people out. At best, it's useful in like 3-4 MUs. Otherwise it's a decent counter zoning tool and ok at checking your opponent from full screen.

Characters with better zoning:

- Quan
- Predator
- Kitanna
- Shinnok
- Tanya
- Liu Kang
- Kung Jin
- Kano
- Mileena
- Kenshi (yes, even Kenshi's zoning is better than Jacqui's)
I agree with all these characters except Kenshi mileena Kung Jin and Liu Kang.

Robotic

Gentleman.
The purpose of this post seems solely on starting an argument. You don't explain yourself at all on these, you just list them. There's obviously controversy over a couple of them, so I'll do you a favour and request you explain, in detail, why:

• Scorpion - Inferno over Hellfire
  • Mileena - Ravenous over Ethereal/Piercing
  • Takeda - Ronin over SR (I agree with this one though)
  • Kung Jin - Bojitsu over Shaolin
  • Kano - Cybernetic over Cutthroat (I agree with this one as well)
  • Erron Black - Gunslinger over Outlaw
  • Kotal Kahn -
  • Reptile - Noxious over Deceptive
  • Tremor - Metallic over Crystalline and Aftershock
You forgot High Tech over Full Auto, Snitches under Anything and Money over Everything.

EndofGameBoss

That's about right.
Ethereal is hands down Mileenas best variation due to EX Fade. It is legitimately one of the best moves in the game. For one thing, it's a great wakeup. It cannot be stopped by other armored moves or shut down by armor stuffing strings. It's essentially a get out of jail free card.

It's not only a great tool for defense, but is a great tool for offense as well. Cancelling negative strings can make them safe and she gets good advantage with some strings to apply pressure.

Losing low sai and B12 as the argument is weak. Everyone praises B12 as a whiff punishing move, but you have a 8 frame move that's better.

SM StarGazer

The voice of reason in a Sea of Salt
I personally, you allknow this, believe Mournful is Kitty's best variation. Yes you have a reflect in Royal Storm but they can also block the returned projectile. With Mournful they are eating a air glaive almost everytime. You cannot duck her projectile and the close range lift rapes jump ins.Now with the nerf to Kitty's damage she is doing about the same as Mournful, yet it's hard for RS tocloseoutmatchs due to okay block pressure, this is where Mournful steps in with ExGlaive gimkicks which force players to respect the return Glaiveor get their reversal baited, snuffed, oroutright blown up.

#Upplay

CoolChameleon

Kamoflauged
I personally, you allknow this, believe Mournful is Kitty's best variation. Yes you have a reflect in Royal Storm but they can also block the returned projectile. With Mournful they are eating a air glaive almost everytime. You cannot duck her projectile and the close range lift rapes jump ins.Now with the nerf to Kitty's damage she is doing about the same as Mournful, yet it's hard for RS tocloseoutmatchs due to okay block pressure, this is where Mournful steps in with ExGlaive gimkicks which force players to respect the return Glaiveor get their reversal baited, snuffed, oroutright blown up.

#Upplay
But Royal storm has the booty :p :p :p

YoloRoll1stHit

Publicly Educated

#Upplay
You again

Btw, I saw Covert Ops as Sonya's best and I stopped reading

SM StarGazer

The voice of reason in a Sea of Salt
Noone said that those are not your Opinions and that doesnt change the fact that they suck.
Sorry bro but such Threads are just flood.
Honestly. It may suck but were #freetobelieve what we want. Hell only CDJr seems tobelieve Mournful is Kitty's best variation like me. Everyone looks at me like I just love Mournful or something.
*insert Doge here*

El_Rubio

Noob
Well, as this is a not so serious post I will ask here... how can I open a new thread? I´m new in this forum! Thanks in advance guys!

Enexemander

A Hitbox Pirate - YARRR -
Honestly. It may suck but were #freetobelieve what we want. Hell only CDJr seems tobelieve Mournful is Kitty's best variation like me. Everyone looks at me like I just love Mournful or something.
*insert Doge here*
Pretty sure MIT prefers Mournful as well. It's not an oddball opinion, really.

Assassin is the black sheep, I think.

Matix218

Get over here!
This is my list of what i think is the best variation of each character in mkx, if you think differently id love to hear your opinions in the comments below.

Jason: Relentless
Kung Lao: Tempest
Jax: Heavy Weapons
Sonya: Covert Ops
Kenshi: Possessed
Kitana: Royal Storm
Scorpion: Inferno
Sub-Zero: Grandmaster
Mileena: Piercing
Takeda: Ronin
Cassie: Hollywood
Jacqui: Full Auto
Kung Jin: Bojutsu
Tanya: Kobu Jutsu
Predator: Hish Qu-Ten
Shinnok: Bone Shaper
Kano: Cybernetic
Johnny Cage: A-List
Erron Black: Gunslinger
Liu Kang: Dragon Fire
Ermac: Master Of Souls
Kotal Kahn: Sun God
Reptile: Noxious
Ferra/Torr: Ruthless
D'Vorah: Swarm Queen
Raiden: Thunder God
Quan Chi: Summoner
Goro: Tigrar Fire
Tremor: Metallic

Explanations for a few:

Scorpion: Inferno Scorpions overhead demons and low demons can make for some pretty tricky mixups imo, and its always a pain when you get grabbed by a raw low demon. :(

Mileena: I'm actually changing this one for piercing, I've thought about it and I've changed my mind, (i still hate playing ravenous however)

Takeda: Restands, super fast overhead low mixups, a straight projectile, a reflect. what more do you need?

Kung Jin: Bojutsu has incredible damage, 36% for 1 bar is not to shabby, and he's got great mixups and armour usage.

Kano: Cyber has amazing projectiles, (one of the best imo) and great damage.

Kotal Kahn: Sun god can get a free sun charge whenever he wants, he can mb it for full 3 charge, and he's got and easy to do command grab, also great healing with soul scorch.

Reptile: Noxious gets rid of the clutch factor, and clutches are really hype, it sucks when your at like 8% and you just know that you won't win. :(

Tremor: Metallic has very good zoning with his metal balls, and he's got restands with lava form, Aftershock imo is just lacking in stuff, like all he gets is the air ground pound, thats it, besides the 3 second ground quake thingy but whatever no one really uses that i don't think.

As a scorpion main I actually feel that inferno is the weakest variation.

Hellfire has great pressure and good damage and the best version of scorps vortex. Ninjitsu has the best footsies with his ranged normals (imo his overall best variation) but inferno doesn't bring much to the table one people learn how to block the minions. The overhead minion is much slower than the low so you can just block low at range and react to the overhead minion after you visually confirm it was not a low

KIllaByte

PSN: playakid700. Local name: BFGC MonkeyBizness
You do not know enough to make this post acceptable.
Shao Lin Kung Jin takes the great mixups you mentioned, and makes them neutral on block with ex low disc, or normal disc.
It also builds more meter with better, safer strings, and can cancel into relative safety off of anything without using meter, due to up kick and sky drop both only being minus seven.

Pan1cMode

AUS FGC represent!
I agree with all these characters except Kenshi mileena Kung Jin and Liu Kang.
Mileena, Kung Jin and Liu Kang all heavily out zone Jacqui with a low profiling projectile. They also all have better screen control with a projectile that covers the air and mid screen as well. They all have a projectile that hits low making duck and walk a less viable strategy.

Kenshi has better zoning by way of the fact that his armour is just infinitely better than Jacqui's. He has a way to push the opponent off him and to full screen. Once you've got Jacqui on the defensive, armouring out is a huge risk. Her pokes also lack the range and speed necessary to get out of lots of pressure. This means if she's not playing an offensive game with counter zoning and spacing, she's going to have a hard time.

Last edited:

Vigilante24

Beware my power, Red Lantern's Light
Wrestler is Jax best variation. His normal pressure with the addition of tick throws and mindgames after normal tick throw strings once opponents know how to get out of them is probably some of the scariest pressure in the game. You don't block vs Wrestler.

CoolChameleon

Kamoflauged
You do not know enough to make this post acceptable.
Shao Lin Kung Jin takes the great mixups you mentioned, and makes them neutral on block with ex low disc, or normal disc.
It also builds more meter with better, safer strings, and can cancel into relative safety off of anything without using meter, due to up kick and sky drop both only being minus seven.
how much damage can kung jin shaolin get off of a NJP?

Invincible Salads

Seeker of knowledge
Lol at inferno, why do people keep trying to upplay that variation?

allso by takeda's restand i assume he's talking about the exkunai one in the corner?