What's new

Question ask stryker thread

PoliceBrutality

Let's go green!!!!
Hey guys, one of the stuff i find hard to deal with is the non-stop cross jumpings pressure. Basically the opponent does a jumping punch, then quickly does another one and goes to combo mixups or throws. Uppercut usually get them off of me but if that becomes predictable, the opponent can just crouch and wait for the whiff. I can heat some high damage combos after a whiff uppercut right. I also notice that roundhouse can prevent cross ups when it auto-corrects (or maybe i have to time it right). i dont really like jumping back kick because by the time I get out of block stun, the opponent is already in the air with jump punch which can also lead to high damage (especially against Ermac).

So how do you guys best deal with ppl who like to cross jump punch?

CRKFIEND

Noob
Hey guys, one of the stuff i find hard to deal with is the non-stop cross jumpings pressure. Basically the opponent does a jumping punch, then quickly does another one and goes to combo mixups or throws. Uppercut usually get them off of me but if that becomes predictable, the opponent can just crouch and wait for the whiff. I can heat some high damage combos after a whiff uppercut right. I also notice that roundhouse can prevent cross ups when it auto-corrects (or maybe i have to time it right). i dont really like jumping back kick because by the time I get out of block stun, the opponent is already in the air with jump punch which can also lead to high damage (especially against Ermac).

So how do you guys best deal with ppl who like to cross jump punch?

Neutral jump punch. You must be QUICK with the punch, like as soon as you jump off the ground - into a combo. I forget it sometimes myself! :)

PoliceBrutality

Let's go green!!!!
Neutral jump punch. You must be QUICK with the punch, like as soon as you jump off the ground - into a combo. I forget it sometimes myself! :)
I will give it a try tonight. thanks :) but should I still be at a disadvantage since im coming out of block stun?

i guess the only downside of that will be an uppercut right

PoliceBrutality

Let's go green!!!!
Are you guys having trouble doing Stryker's babality? I cant do it consistently, and I am starting to wonder if a babality can actually be done on all the cast. I had more luck doing it on Kratos than, let's say KL, Raiden, or Ermac. I usually go next to the opponent, jump back, then try inputting the command (D,F,D,B+BP). I tried holding block and still get nothing. Maybe (D,F,D,B+BP) is not even the right command lol

Anyone else with the same issue?

Another issue im having right now but i think that's more on my side this time, I hate when I try to go for an uppercut and a high grenade comes out instead:rant2:

D_Matt_Ma

Sheeva isn't Goro's wife. Goro is her husband.
Onother issue im having right now but i think that's more on my side this time, I have when I try to go for an uppercut and a high grenade comes out instead:rant2:
Well, at least you admit it. Yes that is definately on your side. Try doing uppercut with df rather than db diagnals. That way you are as far as possible from messing up the input.

Carefoot

http://youtube.com/nickcarefoot
Whats everyones favorite neutral jump punch combo? Yes it counters cross overs and certain teleports - so I want to maximize my juggle off it. Also everyones favorite roll punish would be nice to know as well.

The highest I've done in practice is 1,2, dash, 1, 2, gunshot, rolltoss (ie. Mileenas roll blocked, shes spinning infront of me)

D_Matt_Ma

Whats everyones favorite neutral jump punch combo? Yes it counters cross overs and certain teleports - so I want to maximize my juggle off it. Also everyones favorite roll punish would be nice to know as well.

The highest I've done in practice is 1,2, dash, 1, 2, gunshot, rolltoss (ie. Mileenas roll blocked, shes spinning infront of me)
4 > roll toss. I keep it simple. Yes, I pass up damage, but it's consistent and gives less meter. I do your combo if I'm confident, usually after 1st round and I've got a feel for the opponent's character. My variation is usually 1,2 > dash, 1,2 xx gunshot > finisher.

Carefoot

4 > roll toss. I keep it simple. Yes, I pass up damage, but it's consistent and gives less meter. I do your combo if I'm confident, usually after 1st round and I've got a feel for the opponent's character. My variation is usually 1,2 > dash, 1,2 xx gunshot > finisher.
The one Tom Brady told me is that as an anti-air I need to be doing standing 4, gun, rolltoss. Still haven't gotten it down yet.

What do you mean by finisher you mean X-Ray? Lol

D_Matt_Ma

THROWING:
Neutral Throw - FP + FK will throw the opponent backward. you break this throw with FP or FK

Forward Throw - Back+FP+FK will throw the opponent forward. you break this throw with BP or BK

With that being said, do you guys think it's safe to just slide our fingers on 1,2 and it will tech the throw? or is that once you get the wrong button you are screwed?
I notice that breaking the throw sometimes take away a small portion of my life. Is that due to breaking too late? (or maybe by pressing the wrong button at first then the correct one)
I'm answering this question almost 3 weeks late. Sliding does not work. Once you hit the wrong button, it's over.

Throws deal minimum of 1% damage, regardless of whether they are broken or not.

dookieagain

Last Bastion of Arcades
The one Tom Brady told me is that as an anti-air I need to be doing standing 4, gun, rolltoss. Still haven't gotten it down yet.

What do you mean by finisher you mean X-Ray? Lol

I've been trying to do that anti-air for days now, it's simply not possible, you can do it into the corner if you hit them high enough as they're jumping out, but anywhere else it isn't possible. You can sometimes, if you catch them at the very apex of their jump do 4, En-Gunshot, roll, but it really isn't worth the meter.

While testing it though I did learn that you can do (Into the corner) anti-air 4, gunshot dash 1,2 gunshot 4 for 32%

Carefoot

Needs to be standing 4 than for ex-gun and ex-rolltoss otherwise no go on this anti-air. Requires 2 bars.

Tom Brady explains how to do it on skype to silent 1 on the last episode of Silent 1 + Tom Brady show where they review the BnB's of Stryker its very important - a must watch actully.

Looking for link.

http://www.justin.tv/s1lent1/b/288091154

Skip the first half an hour to get to the pure Stryker goodness.

Answers questions from me, Vulcan and others.

Cheers

I would never waste 2 bars for a flashy combo that doesn't even do that much damage. Don't know why he even mentioned that horrible combo. It's just a waste of meter. 4 into roll toss is a million time more reliable, deals good damage, and hey guess what I have a breaker too!

I keep it simple combo wise. Ending with a reset into mixups/shenanigans/bait or end with uppercut or roll toss and start zoning them down. That's it.

I've started to use 2, 3 and B2, F2 instead of B1, 2, 2 and B3, 2. I like those strings a lot. B2 builds nice meter, F2 is a launcher and is pretty safe on block. Plus I always cancel B2 / 2, 3 / B3 into gunshot cancel into whatever.

Like Tom mentionned on the stream, BnB should be for max damage punish only. Otherwise I try to avoid using B1, 2, 2 as much as possible. It's hard though cuz I'm so used to doing it. I used to think the most damaging combos were the best ones. But now I realize the best combos are the ones that put you in position/speed/zoning advantage.

PoliceBrutality

Let's go green!!!!
All right my good policemen, I got my butt shredded by baraka today and would like to know how you guys deal with him? a few mistakes that I was able to realize is that (1) never jump-ins on baraka from a regular sweep distance, unless you are going for a cross up. I also hate the shredded move because sometimes it comes out early and STILL autocorrect for the crossup WTH (looks cool tho). (3) Dont use gunshot at a little less than 3/4 of the screen. I swear the blades get extra long during the forward blade move (dont know the name, sorry). this move beats my gunshot all the time, even though visually it doesnt seem possible (4) I think it's safer to low block up close to prevent the low to high launcher combo, and also use D3 or D4 to space instead of cross jump after blocking all of his mixups (im probably the only person doing that anyway lol). Everytime I try to cross jump, I sometimes get caught up in the knee and kick launcher which puts me back in the same pressure strings. So far i think the krazy mixups (well not that krazy but I didnt know how to react to them), the forward blade move, and the shredder move beat me today. I dont know if I should zone baraka all day like sub or mix it up by zoning and rush him down a little. BTW can we punish the forward blade move? maybe if I can bait it, I can make stryker a little more respectable instead of a free meat up close and mid screen.

Carefoot

All right my good policemen, I got my butt shredded by baraka today and would like to know how you guys deal with him? a few mistakes that I was able to realize is that (1) never jump-ins on baraka from a regular sweep distance, unless you are going for a cross up. I also hate the shredded move because sometimes it comes out early and STILL autocorrect for the crossup WTH (looks cool tho). (3) Dont use gunshot at a little less than 3/4 of the screen. I swear the blades get extra long during the forward blade move (dont know the name, sorry). this move beats my gunshot all the time, even though visually it doesnt seem possible (4) I think it's safer to low block up close to prevent the low to high launcher combo, and also use D3 or D4 to space instead of cross jump after blocking all of his mixups (im probably the only person doing that anyway lol). Everytime I try to cross jump, I sometimes get caught up in the knee and kick launcher which puts me back in the same pressure strings. So far i think the krazy mixups (well not that krazy but I didnt know how to react to them), the forward blade move, and the shredder move beat me today. I dont know if I should zone baraka all day like sub or mix it up by zoning and rush him down a little. BTW can we punish the forward blade move? maybe if I can bait it, I can make stryker a little more respectable instead of a free meat up close and mid screen.
Just zone, he doesn't need to respect wake up options as much as Stryker needs to respect his wake up options. EX-Blade Rush, EX-Spin, EX-Blades , EX-Safe on block blades, thats 4 different wake up options. Good luck guessing. Zone him, punish fireballs with EX-Rolltoss from cross screen and respect the blade rush. His Kung Lao spin doesn't hit low and doesn't invincible him low so you can poke him out of it with down 4 into dash standing 4.

Punish jump ins he does on you with standing 4, EX-Guns & EX-Rolltoss.

Learn the distance of the ex-wakeup-blade-rush thing.

You can beat out his X-Ray with yours.

His X-Ray can be beat by gunshot and ex-gunshot if you are a jedi I believe (need to go outside but will make sure of this tonight).

EVB SomeCubanGuy

*Hissssssssssss*
Just zone, he doesn't need to respect wake up options as much as Stryker needs to respect his wake up options. EX-Blade Rush, EX-Spin, EX-Blades , EX-Safe on block blades, thats 4 different wake up options. Good luck guessing. Zone him, punish fireballs with EX-Rolltoss from cross screen and respect the blade rush. His Kung Lao spin doesn't hit low and doesn't invincible him low so you can poke him out of it with down 4 into dash standing 4.

His X-Ray can be beat by gunshot and ex-gunshot if you are a jedi I believe (need to go outside but will make sure of this tonight).
If I can just add a couple things...

Baraka still has to respect Stryker's wakeup options since they can blow through anything he does.

Baraka's only invincible wakeups are (EX) Blade Rush, (Ex) Blade Spin, and EX Chop Chop. If done at max range, Blade Rush can only be punished by fast specials, but up close, full combo punish. Blade Spin and Chop Chop are both punishable by full combo on block.

Baraka's Xray is too fast to punish on reaction, unless you're a Jedi, but even then I doubt it would be a good idea to just throw out Xray on a guess, especially since it's uber punishable, and if Stryker gets caught in Baraka's reset game, its very difficult to get out without losing 50% to 60% of your life.

The key to this matchup imo is Gunshot. It beats just about everything I can do, even EX Blade Rush. Some weird glitch happens where if I try to do EX Blade Rush after crouch blocking, It'd stop my move, I'd go back into blockstun, but still lose my meter. Grenades are good at long range, but if I'm within blade rush distance, I can punish on block. And Stryker's uppercut is VERY good as well. Use it as a get off me move.

Also, respect Baraka's D+4! It's hella good and can't be interrupted by anything besides an xray.

Hope this helped Stryker players! :)

Yeah Baraka seems easy on paper. And you would think that is an 8-2 matchup for Stryker. But what happens is people underrestimate Baraka's mid-range tools.

Like you said, never jump on Baraka. Period. He has one of the best anti-airs in the game. And his Blade Charge covers crazy range at ridiculous speed. Considering that, I would say Baraka is a little similar to Ermac except he doesn't have a teleport or a drop and can't really zone from far away.

He's easy to keep out as long as your not in mid-range. When he gets closer you need to respect his range and block his blade charge. I'm not sure if Stryker can punish that on block, I'll have to test it... If he really can't punish it in any way then that could explain why Tom thinks it's a 5-5 matchup.

PoliceBrutality

Let's go green!!!!
If I can just add a couple things...

Baraka still has to respect Stryker's wakeup options since they can blow through anything he does.

Baraka's only invincible wakeups are (EX) Blade Rush, (Ex) Blade Spin, and EX Chop Chop. If done at max range, Blade Rush can only be punished by fast specials, but up close, full combo punish. Blade Spin and Chop Chop are both punishable by full combo on block.

Baraka's Xray is too fast to punish on reaction, unless you're a Jedi, but even then I doubt it would be a good idea to just throw out Xray on a guess, especially since it's uber punishable, and if Stryker gets caught in Baraka's reset game, its very difficult to get out without losing 50% to 60% of your life.

The key to this matchup imo is Gunshot. It beats just about everything I can do, even EX Blade Rush. Some weird glitch happens where if I try to do EX Blade Rush after crouch blocking, It'd stop my move, I'd go back into blockstun, but still lose my meter. Grenades are good at long range, but if I'm within blade rush distance, I can punish on block. And Stryker's uppercut is VERY good as well. Use it as a get off me move.

Also, respect Baraka's D+4! It's hella good and can't be interrupted by anything besides an xray.

Hope this helped Stryker players! :)
Hey guys this is the guy who shredded my ass earlier. How nice of you to stop by the HQ to drop some tips. Now that's a good player, helping me to understand the matchup ;-)

PoliceBrutality

Let's go green!!!!

1.I hope you are not serious with the jumpins punish since we already discuss that it is bad to use two bar of meters instead of regular 4 xx roll toss, or uppercut.
2. I would love to zone him trust me, but the rush blade closes the gap very quickly.
3. Like Vulcan mention, I got caught my his X-Ray and it was indeed fast.

One thing tho that I started doing effectively (well at some point), is reading the rush blade from mid range. Instead of pulling my gun I did a FJ and I was able to actually land behind the rush blade and in some cases land a punch before touching the ground. So if i can train my opponent to respect the gun and bait the rush blade, I think I might have a good chance to even out the match.

Carefoot

Does Stryker have any 'armor breakers?'

I think gunshot, ex-gunshot and baton twirl may have this property but I wanted to check.

JJocelot

Don't give up!
I have a quick question: How punishible is Roll Toss on block? Is it relatively safe? I tend to use it alot online, and I dunno if its that good or my opponents aren't properly reacting, but I've never once had somebody punish me if it misses (and Stryker is right in front of them).

Carefoot

I have a quick question: How punishible is Roll Toss on block? Is it relatively safe? I tend to use it alot online, and I dunno if its that good or my opponents aren't properly reacting, but I've never once had somebody punish me if it misses (and Stryker is right in front of them).
Its safe on block. Not enough advantage that you can downpoke right after it (I assume otherwise I'd just spam roll toss down 1) but you can safely block during it. They can kick you out of it if they hit you during any non-armor frames or twice to absorb the armor then again kicking you out of it.

Does Stryker have any 'armor breakers?'

I think gunshot, ex-gunshot and baton twirl may have this property but I wanted to check.
Baton Twirl, Gun Shot and EN Gun Shot aren't really armor breaking attacks. They just hit multiple times, which effectively can stop single armored attacks. But super armored specials can absorb up to 4 or even 5 hits so Stryker's EN Gun Shot wouldn't be able to stop them. A true armor breaking special (like X-rays) would be able to stop a super armor move with only 1 hit.

Roll Toss is -3 on block. Which means no move in the game is fast enough to punish it. But it also means you're at disadvantage on block. So if you try a D1 (6 start up) after your roll toss gets blocked, then any attack that has 9 start up frames or less can beat it. This is why I suggest using D3 instead of D1. Even if it's 1 frame slower than D1, at least it lowers your hittable box, making Stryker less vulnerable to high and special mid attacks. Low normals and specials can still hit you though. So usually when the opponent blocks your roll toss, it's better to just block/jump/backdash. It's also the perfect time to use an EN secial or X-ray because they often try to press a button after they block it.[MENTION][/MENTION]

D_Matt_Ma

I have a question for the Ask Stryker thread. Everyone admires this thread as the one with the most content. Yet, I don't see too many Strykers. I'm guessing everyone plays this dood but doesn't main him because he sucks? (I'm not serious if you haven't figured out yet). Just amazed in the traffic this forum gets, but how little people actually play this dood. Bang Bang!

JJocelot

Don't give up!
I have a question for the Ask Stryker thread. Everyone admires this thread as the one with the most content. Yet, I don't see too many Strykers. I'm guessing everyone plays this dood but doesn't main him because he sucks? (I'm not serious if you haven't figured out yet). Just amazed in the traffic this forum gets, but how little people actually play this dood. Bang Bang!
I've been maining the crap out of Stryker since day one. Than again, I'm kinda bad so I'm not even sure if my devotion counts.