What's new

Match-up Discussion Aquaman Matchup Discussion

Whackojack

Noob Saibot is BACK!
As long as the BA you're facing doesn't crouch block on reaction when you do your B12, then you're open to attack. Same scenario, but if they don't crouch block and block mid, or high and you attack them that way. You're going to get punish for it. It's just a matter of reaction and reading your opponent. Nothing has to be touched on BA's dive kick, but for people like you to react on it and say it needs to be nerfed for whatever reason. It doesn't. Why Bill aka Tom had our discussion about why MK9 became a horrible game because characters kept getting either buffed, or nerfed in ways it shouldn't. Just need to go into training mode with the character and learn the MU's better. Plain and simple.

Rage quitting is not going to help you and certainly not help your ego get any better. Some ways I can't apologize to you in my message I sent you on XBL cause I've come across many of them in this game within the two weeks that have done that. Not any different from MK, either. Online is online and offline is offline. Period.
Lol I like how you come online to troll and don't even read my post. Where did I say it had to be nerfed? Please quote me on it, PLEASE

EDIT: And furthermore I came here to get advice on how to deal with it, again NOT asking for a nerd, and you come and personally attack me about me quitting (which I did AND apologized for) but you for some reason had to seek me out and piss me off more. I was considering dropping the game because I can't seem to deal with a lot of stuff online that I can offline and the fact that nobody around me plays limits my options. So have fun trolling, you're what makes this community great.

Also, please explain the difference between blocking "mid" and "high" Mr. Pro

b3 MB guys. Why do you never use it. It's a universal tech and key to the Black Adam matchup.

You can charge b3 (meterless) every time BA jumps, then react to the dive kick by only tapping the meter burn button. If you don't see Black Adam dive kick then dash cancel backwards or forwards depending on the situation. Of course this is only really good when Black Adam is far away or fullscreen. From closer it's impossible to react, you'd have to guess/anticipate it. Or just block and check them with a string.

Also Black Adam players will almost always either backdash or jump away after you block a non-MB dive kick so you just need to find ways to chase the backdash/jump. I'm not sure if Aquaman is good for this.

Whackojack

Noob Saibot is BACK!
b3 MB guys. Why do you never use it. It's a universal tech and key to the Black Adam matchup.

You can charge b3 (meterless) every time BA jumps, then react to the dive kick by only tapping the meter burn button. If you don't see Black Adam dive kick then dash cancel backwards or forwards depending on the situation. Of course this is only really good when Black Adam is far away or fullscreen. From closer it's impossible to react, you'd have to guess/anticipate from closer. Or just block and check them with a string.

Also Black Adam players will almost always either backdash or jump away after you block a dive kick so you just need to find ways to chase backdash.
Yeah, so he doesn't dive kick while you're charging B3, you dash forward/backward out of B3, he uses lightning, you lose the trade. Great plan

OR

He sees you charging the B3, uses close dive kick to land safely far away from you and has far more options than you at that point

Yeah, so he doesn't dive kick while you're charging B3, you dash forward/backward out of D3, he uses lightning, you lose the trade. Great plan
Are you fucking kidding me. I give you legit tips and you're being sarcastic.

Try it before dismissing it. Black Adam can't lightning in the air so I don't even know wtf you're talking about. His jump is floaty you will likely recover from your dash before I'm even able to hit you with lightning. And if I cancel my jump with a close dive kick I will have too much recovery to even punish your dash in time.

Eshi

Noob

You can charge b3 (meterless) every time BA jumps, then react to the dive kick by only tapping the meter burn button. If you don't see Black Adam dive kick then dash cancel backwards or forwards depending on the situation. Of course this is only really good when Black Adam is far away or fullscreen. From closer it's impossible to react, you'd have to guess/anticipate it. Or just block and check them with a string.

Also Black Adam players will almost always either backdash or jump away after you block a dive kick so you just need to find ways to chase the backdash/jump. I'm not sure if Aquaman is good for this.
Yeah I was gonna come in just to post this. I play Harley but everyone can MB B3 him in the face for spamming divekick. It feels oh-so-good.

Whackojack

Noob Saibot is BACK!
Are you fucking kidding me. I give you legit tips and you're being sarcastic.

Try it before dismissing it.
Dude, I have tried this. This isn't a "I lost 1 fight and I'm complaining" kind of thing. I've tried many different ways to deal with this and using B3 as a counter when you see him jump is a very inconsistent and dangerous thing

EDIT: This isn't a thread asking how to deal with spam, this is asking how to deal with BA players who use the dive kick intelligently. Sure, spam is something easy to deal with in any case because you know exactly what's coming. I'm saying more for people who will bait you

Eshi

Noob
Dude, I have tried this. This isn't a "I lost 1 fight and I'm complaining" kind of thing. I've tried many different ways to deal with this and using B3 as a counter when you see him jump is a very inconsistent and dangerous thing
how about you use it on reaction since the super armor starts on frame 8...? That's what I do.

REO

Undead
Aquaman has the easiest time punishing dive kick with his 7 frame d+1 into trident scoop. If Black Adam does not space it on Aquaman's knees or lower, he is being launched. You can spam Trident Scoop all day with no consequence on Black Adam since he can't reliably punish you. Even if Black Adam does a "safe" dive kick, he is still forced to block pressure from Aquaman.

Sent from my mobile

Whackojack

Noob Saibot is BACK!
Aquaman has the easiest time punishing dive kick with his 7 frame d+1 into trident scoop. If Black Adam does not space it on Aquaman's knees or lower, he is being launched. You can spam Trident Scoop all day with no consequence on Black Adam since he can't reliably punish you. Even if Black Adam does a "safe" dive kick, he is still forced to block pressure from Aquaman.

Sent from my mobile
I can't reliably punish online. Offline I have zero issues when I record and go into practice, but any time I try to react online it seems like they get a free jump backwards and there's not a thing I can do about it

Whackojack

Noob Saibot is BACK!
Also, I apologize to anyone if I come off as a bit salty or rude here. Hatake Osawa just fought me online and I got frustrated and quit before round 1 had even ended, to which he messaged me about, and I then apologized after a few messages back and forth. He then came on to this thread and decided to accuse me of things I never said and talk about my ego and it put me in a pretty bad way. Again, I apologize if I was rude to you, just very frustrated at the moment.

Dizzy

False Information Police Officer
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
I also have been having many problems that Whackojack and Name v.5.0 were.

I think one of the main problems is if its a safe divekick, its almost impossible to tell and he can punish you with combo by jump back EX divekick for trying to punish the safe one. That is an issue I was having.

That coupled with the lightning checks is pretty overwhelming as it's hard to get anything started due to his backdash. Anything that blows up his backdash on read gets blown up by divekick, and he doesnt have anything that is fast enough to punish the backdash on reaction.

Also Black Adam players will almost always either backdash or jump away after you block a dive kick so you just need to find ways to chase backdash.
The #1 problem with this strat is that you must start charging the B3 on reaction to them jumping if you want to have any hope of getting it off in time, looking to hit the MB button when you see the divekick start.

The Black Adam player (my exp so far in this match is GGA HAN) will then continuously jump back followed by lightning. As far as I can tell this can't be avoided, it can sometimes be blocked if they are late.

IMO, if the Black Adam knows that you will try this, it is ineffective. I could easily be missing something to this, i'm definitely going to have to look into other workarounds.

Hatake Osawa

NetherRealm Protector
Lol I like how you come online to troll and don't even read my post. Where did I say it had to be nerfed? Please quote me on it, PLEASE

EDIT: And furthermore I came here to get advice on how to deal with it, again NOT asking for a nerd, and you come and personally attack me about me quitting (which I did AND apologized for) but you for some reason had to seek me out and piss me off more. I was considering dropping the game because I can't seem to deal with a lot of stuff online that I can offline and the fact that nobody around me plays limits my options. So have fun trolling, you're what makes this community great.

Also, please explain the difference between blocking "mid" and "high" Mr. Pro
The post you made on here? I did and regardless if you didn't say nerfed. "Dive kick spam shouldn't be safe on block". But guess what?! It's still punishable. Complaining about dropping the game fully because of 1. Online 2. Black Adam must be a bitch to you in every way possible. Because you're all like "This MU alone has seriously made me consider just dropping IGAU and going back to MK". Wow! Seriously?! MK9 is more broken then this game can ever be. Not saying IGAUS isn't broken. I believe it's a pretty solid game so far. Not the best, but pretty solid for the most part that NRS has overlooked their previous game to make things better. Under a different genre, too.

Well never got the last message about you apologizing so just until you mentioned it and read it. So I don't know what you want from me out of that part? Online is not going to make you "better" as a player. Sorry that you don't have a scene around you to do that. Quite frankly, the online hasn't been horrible in my opinion. MK9 was twice as bad when it came to it's online because of the servers they were using. Anywho, the only good thing about online is preparing yourself against different MU's to understand how each character plays truly. Can't blame me, or anyone in here for the matter you got salty just because of one lousy online match? Take the beating and move on. Learn from your mistakes and make it your strength. Raging each time you can't seem to get around something simple is not going to make it any better.

No. I don't consider myself as a "Mr. Pro" as you state. I have come close to beating some top players like Tom Brady for example from Final Round, but I messed up on one move and cost me the match where he got me in the freeze ball for him to execute his combo string and got myself eliminated. Eliminated Claude Von Stroke from MLG Raleigh cause I knew the Johnny Cage MU and was using "Scorpion". Which that match-up is not even in Scorpions favor and still was able to advance on until my next match I got knocked out by a Kung Lao player. So beating two players that are really good. Better then me doesn't consider myself up there just because I either came close to beating him and defeated the other. So I'm "trying" to tell you like everyone else here is telling you, or giving you advice. Don't drop the game just because of a flaw you had and blame it on online. Takes time to understand every single match-up and the feel of how online is comparing to offline sessions. Once you do, you'll become a better player with possibly a better attitude in the future. Take it with a grain of salt, or not. Just being real with you.

The #1 problem with this strat is that you must start charging the B3 on reaction to them jumping if you want to have any hope of getting it off in time, looking to hit the MB button when you see the divekick start.

The Black Adam player (my exp so far in this match is GGA HAN) will then continuously jump back followed by lightning. As far as I can tell this can't be avoided, it can sometimes be blocked if they are late.

IMO, if the Black Adam knows that you will try this, it is ineffective. I could easily be missing something to this, i'm definitely going to have to look into other workarounds.
Well yeah it's the kind of trick that should only really work once or twice per match. But when/if it does work it sure can turn the tables.

You have to at least try it and make them respect/aware of this threat. At the very least it will stop them from dive kicking too much and then you'll be able to zone more freely. It's all about conditioning. If you know they know you will b3 MB and you know they will just empty jump, then take advantage of that to get in or zone.

I would never be afraid of 10% when my potential reward could be 40%.

Dizzy

False Information Police Officer
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
Every air normal in the game can beat divekick for full combo or at least trade with it. Just saiyan...
This is true, but unfortunately BA is amazing at air-to-air with J1. It's faster than all of Aquaman's air options and if he has you hopping around looking for a Divekick you will definitely pay for it big time.

I think this is really only viable if you are jumping back, attempting to turtle due to a very large lifelead and the Black Adam absolutely has to come to you. HAN seemed to be already getting really good at punishing jumps with Black Magic though if hes looking for it. (Props to him)

Whackojack

Noob Saibot is BACK!
The post you made on here? I did and regardless if you didn't say nerfed, or not. "Dive kick spam shouldn't be safe on block". But guess what?! It's still punishable. Complaining about dropping the game fully because of 1. Online 2. Black Adam must be a bitch to you in every way possible. Because you're all like "This MU alone has seriously made me consider just dropping IGAU and going back to MK". Wow! Seriously?! MK9 is more broken then this game can ever be. Not saying IGAUS isn't broken. I believe it's a pretty solid game so far. Not the best, but pretty solid for the most part that NRS has overlooked their previous game to make things better. Under a different genre, too.

Well never got the last message about you apologizing so just until you mentioned it and read it. So I don't know what you want from me out of that part? Online is not going to make you "better" as a player. Sorry that you don't have a scene around you to do that. Quite frankly, the online hasn't been horrible in my opinion. MK9 was twice as bad when it came to it's online because of the servers they were using. Anywho, the only good thing about online is preparing yourself against different MU's to understand how each character plays truly. Can't blame me, or anyone in here for the matter you got salty just because of one lousy online match? Take the beating and move on. Learn from your mistakes and make it your strength. Raging each time you can't seem to get around something simple is not going to make it any better.

No. I don't consider myself as a "Mr. Pro" as you state. I have come close to beating some top players like Tom Brady for example from Final Round, but I messed up on one move and cost me the match where he got me in the freeze ball for him to execute his combo string and got myself eliminated. Eliminated Claude Von Stroke from MLG Raleigh cause I knew the Johnny Cage MU and was using "Scorpion". Which that match-up is not even in Scorpions favor and still was able to advance on until my next match I got knocked out by a Kung Lao player. So beating two players that are really good. Better then me doesn't consider myself up there just because I either came close to beating him and defeated the other. So I'm "trying" to tell you like everyone else here is telling you, or giving you advice. Don't drop the game just because of a flaw you had and blame it on online. Takes time to understand every single match-up and the feel of how online is comparing to offline sessions. Once you do, you'll become a better player with possibly a better attitude in the future. Take it with a grain of salt, or not. Just being real with you.
I didn't get salty because of "one lousy match", I got salty because you came on here accusing me of crying nerf and talking about my ego. You personally attacked me and that's when I got pissed off. I get that nobody on here cares about online.

I called you "Mr. Pro" Ironically because you seem to think there's a difference between blocking "mid" and blocking "high". Just attacking your poor sentence construction since you attacked my ego

Qwark28

Joker waiting room

Sent from my mobile
The last sentence is untrue if the divekick is done at 3/4 screen and is instant, a backdash will make him invincible to aquamans D1.

Name v.5.0

Iowa's Finest.
Also Black Adam players will almost always either backdash or jump away after you block a non-MB dive kick so you just need to find ways to chase the backdash/jump. I'm not sure if Aquaman is good for this.
This is what I said earlier. Aquaman has no way to get after Adam if he jumps away. Gotta run that fucker down.

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
Online is not going to make you "better" as a player. Anywho, the only good thing about online is preparing yourself against different MU's to understand how each character plays truly. .
These 2 sentences could not be more wrong.

It's difficult, but you can improve as a player and understand the game through online, many people in this community have done so. Online may not be ideal but let's not shit on it.

Smarrgasm

What's a Smarrgasm?
This is true, but unfortunately BA is amazing at air-to-air with J1. It's faster than all of Aquaman's air options and if he has you hopping around looking for a Divekick you will definitely pay for it big time.

I think this is really only viable if you are jumping back, attempting to turtle due to a very large lifelead and the Black Adam absolutely has to come to you. HAN seemed to be already getting really good at punishing jumps with Black Magic though if hes looking for it. (Props to him)
The main thing im scared of is people going into the air on reaction to me. They dont have to be jumping around already or else im gonna just wait and AA with black magic like you said or try to trade with air normals like j1. At full screen or closer though if they see me jump they can just counter by jumping as well and then hitting an air normal as basically like a shield if i dive in. If i am smart and then dont divekick then we both just jumped and nothing happens. Its a pretty messed up mind game but its the best way i think to deal with it without meter or other good tools.

Hatake Osawa

NetherRealm Protector
I didn't get salty because of "one lousy match", I got salty because you came on here accusing me of crying nerf and talking about my ego. You personally attacked me and that's when I got pissed off. I get that nobody on here cares about online
Hate to say it, but that's where it was leaning towards. Same issue people are having with Doomsday because of how "OP' he is. Supernova, Shoulder charge. Those with his pressure game and people are already wanting this character to be nerfed. Sad to say he is fine the way he is. Supernova can be punished! Even on MB! Depending on the character that can do it and frankly Black Adam can easily punish it with one simple Lighting Cage, or MB it. If timing and reaction is on point with the player. To where after that's executed can lead to damaging combos (only on MB). So my suggestion to you is try another character besides the one you were using and see where it leads you. Hopefully you'll have better luck and get by the frustration.

REO

Undead
The last sentence is untrue if the divekick is done at 3/4 screen and is instant, a backdash will make him invincible to aquamans D1.
That's actually true. Aquaman still gets 50/50 after blocking a dive kick regardless, though. If you backdash after dive kick he can punish with d,b+medium for full combo. Once you start respecting that, he can pressure you with b+light after every dive kick or just launch you if you try to move (bar backdash) with d+light~trident scoop. This is a match Black Adam does not win by spamming boot stomp. It's better if he stays away and zones Aquaman while using boot stomp sparingly.

Sent from my mobile