What's new

Match-up Discussion Aquaman Matchup Discussion

dabuz

Noob
Nightwing maybe
Second worst IMO. Thing is NW doesn't have many options in staff stance and doesn't do huge damage in that stance either. At close range AQ is more than a threat and Nightwing doesn't have a good getup game, meaning once Aquaman gets momentum it's hard to break.

Lulzlou

Noob
Second worst IMO. Thing is NW doesn't have many options in staff stance and doesn't do huge damage in that stance either. At close range AQ is more than a threat and Nightwing doesn't have a good getup game, meaning once Aquaman gets momentum it's hard to break.
I feel like Staff is why its tough for him

Aquaman has to respect ground blast and MB ground blast. The whole mix up is throwing out GB and checking him with Flying Greyson as he gets closer. Aquaman also cannot throw out random tridents because I can punish him for it from full screen. The closer he is, the more damage NW can do while punishing it.

He can make the right read and use the trident to stop my FG.

That water shield thing isn't really effective in this mu because NW can use his standing one at max range with no fear of the MB.

I can get 41% with one bar in staff stance.

As far as KF and NW go you can just keep them at midscreen and just B2 as they're coming in it always works for me, and a full distance slide can be punished by B3 for 45% since slide doesn't take priority. Cross ups are pretty much meaningless because of up 2. Staff stance is completely zonable, ground spark might present a slight problem if you can read it, but on read you can dash foward and punish with FTD meter burn for 22%.

Superman can't outzone aquaman, it just can't happen. The straight laser is punishable on read cause FTD is faster on startup and the other ones are punishable on block. He can't contend to well at melee range but he has plenty of tools to keep him out such as B2 and D2.

I can see these match ups MAYBE being 5-5 but more likely 6-4 in Aquaman's favor

dabuz

Noob
Yeah, I agree staff is what makes the MU hard, but I worded it badly. I meant that in staff stance, NW doesn't actually have a lot of usable moves. It's just that his usable moves are a pain at mid range, and at long range AM is indeed useless. Ignore the part about low damage though if you really can get 41% that easily xD

trustinme

xbl-OBS trustinme
It's weird,I've had no trouble with nw players at all using aquaman so far.i just feel I control the space nw needs to be in to get anything good going.

ShanxterX

@shanxterx follow me hoes
Superman full combo punishes all aquaman's options...so it is a tough matchup. You can't be throwing out scoops, overheads and the staving move like an idiot.

Nightwing is annoying as Fuck , especially in the staff stance . Push block is your friend in this matchup

Kf is not that bad, it is even aquaman favor

ColdBoreMK23

Noob Saibot
The only problems I have are with good Superman players that keep their distance and zone.

I don't have a problem with the ones that rush at me because I have the range advantage and my trait.

Every other character I think is either even or in Aquamans favor.

Too early to really say though but the way Brady plays Aquaman he makes all the MU even or in Aquas favor!

As far as KF and NW go you can just keep them at midscreen and just B2 as they're coming in it always works for me, and a full distance slide can be punished by B3 for 45% since slide doesn't take priority. Cross ups are pretty much meaningless because of up 2. Staff stance is completely zonable, ground spark might present a slight problem if you can read it, but on read you can dash foward and punish with FTD meter burn for 22%.

Superman can't outzone aquaman, it just can't happen. The straight laser is punishable on read cause FTD is faster on startup and the other ones are punishable on block. He can't contend to well at melee range but he has plenty of tools to keep him out such as B2 and D2.

I can see these match ups MAYBE being 5-5 but more likely 6-4 in Aquaman's favor
Interesting stuff on the B3 against Killer Frost's Slide, definitely worth noting in the future. Guessing this isn't used much by others because of the reaction time required?

The hitbox on Killer Frosts Jump 3 is pretty ridiculous. Heaven forbid you actually get hit by that thing but it can get around Aquaman's D2 if approached correctly , so i would be very careful using it.

As long as Aquaman has Meter to Armor his moves or pushblock, her pressure is managable, but once she gets in and gets a lead, Aquaman is going to have a very very tough time.

I have yet to fight a Superman, Deathstroke, Raven, Wonder Woman, Lex, NW, Bane so I don't really know those matchups well. I feel however that one of the few bad matchups that Aquaman will suffer down the line will be Green latern and Black Adam. They will be his Kabal and Kenshi *In this case, he's Kung Lao*

I have yet to fight a Superman, Deathstroke, Raven, Wonder Woman, Lex, NW, Bane so I don't really know those matchups well. I feel however that one of the few bad matchups that Aquaman will suffer down the line will be Green latern and Black Adam. They will be his Kabal and Kenshi *In this case, he's Kung Lao*
Black Adam I don't have enough experience against (surprisingly) to comment on, but I have played a lot of Lanterns. I just don't see how Green Lantern is a real threat to Aquaman. Bad Mobility, Bad Projectile Trades, Armor Interuptable Strings (not 100% on this need to test). His air 3 is really good, but there are not many applicable places for him to use it against Aquaman due to D2.

But if you have insight as to why this matchup is dangerous I would love to hear it. I play a ton of Lanterns so anything would of course be helpful.

Cyborgs D2 intercedes with any crossup attempts from aquaman *atleast that was when I played a very good Cyborg yesterday*. Cyborg's projectile recovery is slightly faster than aquaman's and his air one pretty much cancels out any From the Depth tridents, which is a HUGE part in the metagame of any aquaman player. Cyborgs B3 is also a huge problem too huge priotity on it and his recovery is just indeed too fast for aquaman that once he does the move, he can backdash and vaccum Aquaman out of his face.

Black Adam I don't have enough experience against (surprisingly) to comment on, but I have played a lot of Lanterns. I just don't see how Green Lantern is a real threat to Aquaman. Bad Mobility, Bad Projectile Trades, Armor Interuptable Strings (not 100% on this need to test). His air 3 is really good, but there are not many applicable places for him to use it against Aquaman due to D2.

But if you have insight as to why this matchup is dangerous I would love to hear it. I play a ton of Lanterns so anything would of course be helpful.
I don't know if it's just me but I sometimes have trouble getting in with Aqua due to the fact of G. Lantern's excessive tools and his projectiles. Like once you get in with G. Lantern, you're basically playing his game and that is respecting his decent normals and watching out for his projectiles --I mean the Trident Toss From the Depths could perhaps be a potential move to get out of any of G. Lantern's pressure. Bad Mobility? Again it may just be me but I feel GL does have good or atleast decent mobility that is on the same level as aquaman. DB1, 22 DB2 MB, B123 is pretty good to use on Lantern but I feel sometimes its not decent enough to get out of pressure.

I'm not speaking on the zoning because I feel Aqua has a little trouble with it but deals with it much better than Sinestor or Wonder Woman.

Hawkgirl is a possibility, but not saying for sure so don't freak lol.
Could you kindly explain as to how she would be a bad matchup? Her wake-up attacks are kinda slow on impact and all you need to do with Aqua is just (B3 MB, FTD MB, backdash) and you should be set. I see that as a 6-4 matchup for Aqua in the future. Again, the game is still premature so only time will tell if all of our assumptions become reality.

Espio

Kokomo
Could you kindly explain as to how she would be a bad matchup? Her wake-up attacks are kinda slow on impact and all you need to do with Aqua is just (B3 MB, FTD MB, backdash) and you should be set. I see that as a 6-4 matchup for Aqua in the future. Again, the game is still premature so only time will tell if all of our assumptions become reality.

I'm basing this off of her ability to lame him out really well, baiting wake ups is something that isn't really match up specific as everyone can bait and punish. Anyone can MB to punish wake up mace charge or other things like that or punish it on whiff so that's not really an indicator of the match up number.

Aquaman has to get close to have a means to punish her flight, she doesn't have to deal with ground trident or any of his ranged attacks otherwise, if anything it would be even, but I don't quite see how it would become in his favor, flight alone messes with his ranged tools and his ability to ground her requires him to chase her and get up close, essentially causing her to set the tempo of the match up.

I'm not saying it's bad, bad, but her losing to him I just find hard to believe as the game currently stands.

I'm basing this off of her ability to lame him out really well, baiting wake ups is something that isn't really match up specific as everyone can bait and punish. Anyone can MB to punish wake up mace charge or other things like that or punish it on whiff so that's not really an indicator o

Aquaman has to get close to have a means to punish her flight, she doesn't have to deal with ground trident or any of his ranged attacks otherwise, if anything it would be even, but I don't quite see how it would become in his favor, flight alone messes with his ranged tools and his ability to ground her requires him to chase her and get up close, essentially causing her to completely set the tempo of the match up.

I'm not saying it's bad, bad, but her losing to him I just find hard to believe as the game currently stands.
Until further testing, I'll have to assume that you are accurate with this statement. I have completely forgotten that Hawkgirl had an evade move. There goes my helping badge for the year, =/ lol.

I don't know if it's just me but I sometimes have trouble getting in with Aqua due to the fact of G. Lantern's excessive tools and his projectiles. Like once you get in with G. Lantern, you're basically playing his game and that is respecting his decent normals and watching out for his projectiles --I mean the Trident Toss From the Depths could perhaps be a potential move to get out of any of G. Lantern's pressure. Bad Mobility? Again it may just be me but I feel GL does have good or atleast decent mobility that is on the same level as aquaman. DB1, 22 DB2 MB, B123 is pretty good to use on Lantern but I feel sometimes its not decent enough to get out of pressure.

I'm not speaking on the zoning because I feel Aqua has a little trouble with it but deals with it much better than Sinestor or Wonder Woman.
Heh well I guess it wasn't fair for me to use Mobility against Green Lantern as Aquamans is just as bad.

At first when I was getting blown up by a bunch of Lanterns I thought it was the character, but it was me. If you can tech throws and react decently to his F3 and projectiles you can either duck them or trade (which the Trident Toss Trade is a really good trade for Aquaman). Once that has been neutralized, and it's not super difficult after some matchup practice, Green Lantern has a really tough time getting in on Aquaman. Not to mention his Parry for additional salt for your opponent try to chip you from a distance.

As for getting in, that is a little tricky. Your 1st time playing a Lantern you will have a tougher time since Aquaman's gameplan is a little linear. There shouldn't be much air to air happening for obvious reasons so it becomes a ground game with a Projectile battle, which Lantern loses both hard against Aquaman.

BUT if you do get behind against Lantern it becomes pretty tough to do large chunks of damage without question due to GL's tools.

Espio

Kokomo
Until further testing, I'll have to assume that you are accurate with this statement. I have completely forgotten that Hawkgirl had an evade move. There goes my helping badge for the year, =/ lol.

Definitely keep studying the match up, it could change and become better or worse for Aquaman, it's too soon to say, but so far I feel she has a lot of control in that match, Aquaman can certainly hold his own I think though.

I'm gonna keep playing it as much as I can, I might start doing character match write ups again like I did for MK :).

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
If Superman does his f23 into ice breath on block, and goes for another f23, you can b12 before his f23 comes out. If he back dashes after ice breath, you can ground spike to punish. After a blocked air laser, you can punish with ground spike.

Raven is a tough match-up if she has the life lead. You can't do anything full screen against her. She can punish ground spike on block. But at the same time, if you have the life lead there's not much she can do either, she has to come to you. So it's about even I think.

I've been having trouble against Doomsday more than anyone really. Shazam also seems to be a little tough for Aquaman.

batman? whaaaattt would lead you to believe that? this is the only mu as a batman player that i feel like im having a bit of an uphill battle
Batman applies really good pressure which Aquaman has a tough time with. But the Trait ultimately blows that up when successful in most cases. But yeah I don't feel this is a 6-4 for Batman or Aquaman, feels like a 5-5 to me.