What's new

Question - Liu Kang Anyone know if any top guys still play liu kang?

Mpizz10

Liu Kang and The Flash mains
I've been watching tournaments and haven't seen him in a long time. If you have could you post a video. I like watching to see what I can improve on

KIllaByte

PSN: playakid700. Local name: BFGC MonkeyBizness
Xblades (MK9 EVO top 8 placer in 2012, with Liu Kang) believes in dualist!

Yeah I've pretty much dropped the character. So Liu players are good but the way I see it their fundamentals are just much better than my own and they are gimping themselves by playing him :/

GAV

Resolution through knowledge and resolve.
I have one on my XBL FL. He cancels low fireballs to keep combos going that should end.

I'de say he's broken if it wasn't so hard to pull off consistently.

GAV

Resolution through knowledge and resolve.
Am I missing something? Low fireballs can't be cancelled to the best of my knowledge unless something is going over my head which is completely possible.
I'll ask him to explain again. It looked kind of glitchy, but he was getting over 40% off his low starter.

KingHippo

Alternative-Fact Checker
I'm not a top player by any means, but unless I drastically like one of the new DLC characters, I will likely continue playing Liu Kang since I now have the time to really work with him. I was down on him for quite a while, but the more I looked into it the more I realized that he's probably a solid character that doesn't really have a huge amount of weaknesses, moreso just relatively lacking strengths. But strengths are strengths, and I feel he does a few things very well (This is all in DF; I feel Flame Fist and Dualist have severe weaknesses that prevent LK from being as good as he can be):

+Control of mid range-Liu has a lot of good footsie tools such as low fireball, b2, f2, b1, and Double Dragon Kick that let him force a guess on a person trying to come in. Stopping an onslaught of offensive maneuvers is key to success in MKX, and Liu Kang has a lot of good ways to handle that.

+Meterless damage output-Due to being able to cancel his fireball, Liu Kang gets some really good damage (33+, I believe) meterless off of his most common combo starters. This makes him less reliable on meter to do a lot of damage, which lets him use it for other things that are really useful

+Blockstring offense-Liu Kang, much like his Shaolin cousin, can really run the gamut as far as blockstrings go. F213 fb cancel F213 is uninterruptable if performed without delay, and even a normal dash cancel leaves him + enough to go for b1, which will either break armor or beat a poke, and then go into Double Dragon Kick, which can be meter burned to steal frames again while being uncrouchable. This shaves off 7 or so % and builds meter like no one's business. Add to the many different ways he can go for throw, overhead or low in the sequence, and it's a fairly decent game to play

-Bad armored moves: This one hurts. Backfist, Bike Kick and Double Dragon Kick all have armor, but all have huge issues with hitting characters who are hitting low pokes or doing relatively fast moves. He can at least launch from them with the use of excess meter, which he builds easily, but still not quite as effective. A big blow

-Weak reward on 50/50: Liu Kang has decent ways to setup a strict guess, but his reward off of it is pretty weak compared to most of the other characters. Big damage off the low f4, but b2 and throw (which will essentially function as a second overhead since he forces crouch block most of the time) lead to about 7-12%, which means that he's going to have to land a lot of those to steal a match.

-Highly meter dependent: This one isn't quite as bad, given how much reps of f213 xx fbc will build, but for Liu Kang to safely buy him some time to rebuild his stamina bar as well as get in off a d4 xx cancel or convert off a landed flying kick, Liu needs meter. Between using EN Double Dragon Kick to stay + and in their face from mid range as well as converting off a bicycle kick from f4, Liu will use his meter quite a bit and that can be a problem when it comes time to breaker. Since he builds it really good it's not a crippling weakness, but a weakness nonetheless.

Overall, I think that's where he stands. If I had to boil it down to a tl;dr, it would be that his damage off of the most likely scenarios is not that high and below what the best chars and even the next best set of chars can get. Even then, with his fast footspeed, different options to AA, and relatively simple but effective mid range game, I think Liu can place given a player who's a student of the game and can make the most of his advantageous situations.

I GOT HANDS

Official Infrared Scorp wid gapless Wi-Fi pressure
We'll see about Dualist. If he doesn't do it for me, DF it is, however in theory Dualists tools could be really dope right

big j gleez

Mains: Not Sure Right Now ...
Lui gets awesome pressure but he lacks a true 50/50 game. Without that, I feel you put yourself behind the 8 ball when it comes to the mechanics of this game. I think he is usable and a viable option, but just not the best option.

Don't let that deter you from using him though. Use who you want but just understand the strengths and weaknesses and adapt accordingly.

Mpizz10

That video was pretty sweet. That guy has his pressure down pretty well I'm not quite there yet. I thought it was interesting how sometimes on the f213 xx fbc it was smooth but this would cause shinok to try to counter and let go of block but since liu was still plus due to the craziness of that move he got a lot of combos that way. I have been seeing some great new stuff for dualist now from thsee forums that's really making me considering trying that out as a main instead of df. Es

Mpizz10

That video was pretty sweet. That guy has his pressure down pretty well I'm not quite there yet. I thought it was interesting how sometimes on the f213 xx fbc it was smooth but this would cause shinok to try to counter and let go of block but since liu was still plus due to the craziness of that move he got a lot of combos that way. I have been seeing some great new stuff for dualist now from thsee forums that's really making me considering trying that out as a main instead of df. Es
My bad wasn't smooth** like it was cancelled a little late

whitebl4ck really strong liu Kang tournament player
No disprespect to him but ive been following him and his liu seems kinda meh. His fundamentals are decent in general but his actual liu isnt doing anything special. In fact, he chooses not to fb cancel sometimes when it would be extremely beneficial.

I GOT HANDS

No disprespect to him but ive been following him and his liu seems kinda meh. His fundamentals are decent in general but his actual liu isnt doing anything special. In fact, he chooses not to fb cancel sometimes when it would be extremely beneficial.
I felt much the same, no disrespect because it's no doubt better than my Liu at this stage but as far as competitive MK goes he was nice but nothing amazing

AK L0rdoftheFLY

I hatelove this game
I'm not a top player by any means, but unless I drastically like one of the new DLC characters, I will likely continue playing Liu Kang since I now have the time to really work with him. I was down on him for quite a while, but the more I looked into it the more I realized that he's probably a solid character that doesn't really have a huge amount of weaknesses, moreso just relatively lacking strengths. But strengths are strengths, and I feel he does a few things very well (This is all in DF; I feel Flame Fist and Dualist have severe weaknesses that prevent LK from being as good as he can be):

+Control of mid range-Liu has a lot of good footsie tools such as low fireball, b2, f2, b1, and Double Dragon Kick that let him force a guess on a person trying to come in. Stopping an onslaught of offensive maneuvers is key to success in MKX, and Liu Kang has a lot of good ways to handle that.

+Meterless damage output-Due to being able to cancel his fireball, Liu Kang gets some really good damage (33+, I believe) meterless off of his most common combo starters. This makes him less reliable on meter to do a lot of damage, which lets him use it for other things that are really useful

+Blockstring offense-Liu Kang, much like his Shaolin cousin, can really run the gamut as far as blockstrings go. F213 fb cancel F213 is uninterruptable if performed without delay, and even a normal dash cancel leaves him + enough to go for b1, which will either break armor or beat a poke, and then go into Double Dragon Kick, which can be meter burned to steal frames again while being uncrouchable. This shaves off 7 or so % and builds meter like no one's business. Add to the many different ways he can go for throw, overhead or low in the sequence, and it's a fairly decent game to play

-Bad armored moves: This one hurts. Backfist, Bike Kick and Double Dragon Kick all have armor, but all have huge issues with hitting characters who are hitting low pokes or doing relatively fast moves. He can at least launch from them with the use of excess meter, which he builds easily, but still not quite as effective. A big blow

-Weak reward on 50/50: Liu Kang has decent ways to setup a strict guess, but his reward off of it is pretty weak compared to most of the other characters. Big damage off the low f4, but b2 and throw (which will essentially function as a second overhead since he forces crouch block most of the time) lead to about 7-12%, which means that he's going to have to land a lot of those to steal a match.

-Highly meter dependent: This one isn't quite as bad, given how much reps of f213 xx fbc will build, but for Liu Kang to safely buy him some time to rebuild his stamina bar as well as get in off a d4 xx cancel or convert off a landed flying kick, Liu needs meter. Between using EN Double Dragon Kick to stay + and in their face from mid range as well as converting off a bicycle kick from f4, Liu will use his meter quite a bit and that can be a problem when it comes time to breaker. Since he builds it really good it's not a crippling weakness, but a weakness nonetheless.

Overall, I think that's where he stands. If I had to boil it down to a tl;dr, it would be that his damage off of the most likely scenarios is not that high and below what the best chars and even the next best set of chars can get. Even then, with his fast footspeed, different options to AA, and relatively simple but effective mid range game, I think Liu can place given a player who's a student of the game and can make the most of his advantageous situations.
Finally you come around...good overall synopsis of dragon fire.

Mpizz10

I felt much the same, no disrespect because it's no doubt better than my Liu at this stage but as far as competitive MK goes he was nice but nothing amazing
I checked him out and he seems to play df liu differently than other people. Usually I see crazy pressure but he seems tends to zone and punish. Another weird little thing I noticed after watching like 45 min of his matched he only fire ball canceled after f44 I maybe once saw him use f213 which i thought was lius bread and butter. Just my thoughts what do you guys think

BloodyNights

"My kunai will find it's mark."
I'm actually surprised that people flock to Hellfire Scorpion, but seem to shy away from Dragon's Fire Liu, I almost feel like they are close to the same character. lol Hellfire probably get's more damage in his combos though, but Liu get's more opportunities to inflict his pressure strings. Due to BF2 Meter burn.

I GOT HANDS

I'm actually surprised that people flock to Hellfire Scorpion, but seem to shy away from Dragon's Fire Liu, I almost feel like they are close to the same character. lol Hellfire probably get's more damage in his combos though, but Liu get's more opportunities to inflict his pressure strings. Due to BF2 Meter burn.
How many reps of F213 can DF get out of a blockstring?

BloodyNights

"My kunai will find it's mark."
How many reps of F213 can DF get out of a blockstring?
Should be around 3. I don't play Liu Kang though. But I've got a really good Liu Kang player, that I fight on the regular. It always infuriates me that Dragon kick meter burned gives him advantage to start pressuring on block considering the hitbox that move has.

KingHippo

Alternative-Fact Checker
He can do f213 xx run cancel three times, then do f213 xx regular dash cancel into b12, which is such a tight gap that it beats most pokes and armor, as well as hitconfirmable into Double Dragon Kick MB, which they are jailed into blocking and thus forced to be at a disadv. This little sequence will also build back about a bar and change, and run out the clock on your stamina being gone. Good stuff.