What's new

Any Guitarists on TYM?

AeroGrunt

Stay Puft
You like richie kotzen too? hes a killer player, if you havent already you should check out his new band the winery dogs, its with him, mike portnoy, and billy sheenan. They have some really killer stuff, but only 1 album so far, this is one of my favorites.
Dude I've been listening to them non-stop since I saw your comment here. Really good stuff, thanks for introducing me to their music. :)

TotteryManx

cr. HP Master
I've been playing guitar for 15 years now. I've done work on cruise ships, gave lessons, recordings etc. etc. Kinda burned out on that aspect. I play for fun now, meaning I don't approach music as work anymore. To anyone that wants to truly get better at the instrument and doesn't have a lot of time to put in, you can still become a great player with the right time management. For example, lets say you only have a hour to practice everyday. That is more than enough time.

5 minute warm up
Scales-15 mins
Speed exercise- 15 mins
Sight reading- 15 mins
Work on a song you're learning- 10 mins

You can switch things out everyday. One day do sight reading, the next do basic theory work like building dyads and triads along the fretboard. It's important to understand what your goals are as well. If you want to write music and truly understand what works and why, you should learn some basic theory. Like the Major and Natural Minor scale, how to build dyads and triads, etc. Just simple things. If you just want to learn songs then take the short cut and learn how to read tablature. The last few years my focus has shifted to bass though. If anyone needs help or is taking ensemble in college and can't figure something out, don't be afraid to ask.

EDIT; and for the love of god..purchase a metronome lol. Timing is very important.

Last edited:

TotteryManx

cr. HP Master
If you all had to pick 5 of the best guitarists of all time, who would they be?

IMO:
Jimi Hendrix
Paul Gilbert
Eric Clapton
Eddie Van Halen(My personal favorite)
Dimebag

Im probably going to get castrated for this list

Shameless thread bump #2
That's a pretty good list imo. It's super hard to name the best guitarists, but I can list the ones that influenced me and driven me to do better.

1. Warren Haynes
2. Derek Trucks
3. Randy Rhodes
4. John Petrucci
5. Adam Jones

Yes, Adam Jones from Tool lol. He isn't fancy and doesn't know too much, but I enjoy his mathematical approach to strumming ;p lol

True Grave

Giving The Gift Of Graves
That's a pretty good list imo. It's super hard to name the best guitarists, but I can list the ones that influenced me and driven me to do better.

1. Warren Haynes
2. Derek Trucks
3. Randy Rhodes
4. John Petrucci
5. Adam Jones

Yes, Adam Jones from Tool lol. He isn't fancy and doesn't know too much, but I enjoy his mathematical approach to strumming ;p lol

IMO:
Jimi Hendrix
Paul Gilbert
Eric Clapton
Dimebag

Shameless thread bump #2
No Zakk Wylde? Tsk Tsk...-_-

RM Jonnitti

Hot Dog
im a drummer but i fuck around on guitar. i wrote a few songs for my band back in high school. most of the riffs was shit i could barely play but the guitarist could actually play it so it didnt matter lol. we have a new guitarist and the stuff that he writes i would never be able to play.

RM Jonnitti

Hot Dog

IMO:
Jimi Hendrix
Paul Gilbert
Eric Clapton
Dimebag

Shameless thread bump #2
My favorites are
Steve Vai
Joe Satriani
Paul Gilbert
Kiko Loureiro
Christian Muezner

OZZYGUITAR

Back-dash Adam

1. Warren Haynes
2. Derek Trucks
3. Randy Rhodes
4. John Petrucci
5. Adam Jones

No satriani? aww lol, anyway your like the only other person i know besides myself that puts rhodes top 5, IMO Whylde doesnt even come close when it comes to guys who played with ozzy

Zoidberg747

My blades will find your heart
How about posting favorite guitar solos?

1:35 to 2:35

I could put tons more but these are off the top of my head.

TotteryManx

cr. HP Master
No satriani? aww lol, anyway your like the only other person i know besides myself that puts rhodes top 5, IMO Whylde doesnt even come close when it comes to guys who played with ozzy
I don't usually listen to virtuosos lol. It just sounds like a lack of soul and more of a show boating kind of thing? LOL Wylde can't hold a candle to Rhoads imo. He is good, but Randy was amazing.

OriginalRazer

Kombat Konnoisseur
Any guitars out there that you would love to own?
Id love to own a 85/6-ish Gibson Futura (The Corvus version) and a Fender Katana. :D

All the best,
OBS