What's new

General/Other - Aftershock Aftershock Variation Discussion Thread

1man3letters

Alpha Tarkatan - Moderator
so at 1st i thought it was kinda of crud the aftershock pulse goes away even when you block something, after seeing what some you guys found i can see now why it does lol good stuff

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
So, finally got to play a couple matches with Aftershock. Loving it. Gonna take some time to get used to, though.

Jump back air quake is, as I expected, pretty good vs opponents trying to throw out limbs. EX it, and you have yourself a free combo for that. Not safe up close, obviously, but from range, it's pretty lame.

I gotta incorporate those EX aftershock setups. Aftershock in general seems really good in the corner, with the splats from stone punch and rock shatter giving him enough time to do a meaty falling boulder setup as well as the aftershock setup. Timing on both boulder and aftershock setups seem really strict.

Only thing that bugs me so far is his reversal game. 23 frames for his EX shatter... :/

Name v.5.0

Iowa's Finest.
Has anyone broke 30% from a EX Air Quake yet that doesnt involve the Aftershock or Air Boulders?

Sidenote: Ji4~EX Air Quake is awesome. You almost get to jump in for free. Right now people get so concerned with blocking it that you can just do an empty jump in and you're free to go to town.

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
Imo I think it's his best variation, the ground tremor has great set ups and love how you can zone and set up with it.

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
After messing around with Aftershock a bit more, I'm starting to find some pretty solid points about it.

-Stone strike (db2u) is 22 frames. Stone slam (db2d) is 32 frames. EX versions appear to have the same frame data, which means the cancel point is 11 frames in. With how fast his backdash is, EX punch BDC is probably going to be a solid defensive option for Tremor.

-There are so many points at which you can get free EX shakes (dd4) in Aftershock in comparison to the other variations, largely due to shatter. Up shatter floats the opponent a lot, and straight shatter is a splat knockdown, both of which net easy EX shakes. They also do a lot of damage, so you're looking at at least 26% every time you land a shatter with a bar.

-Although Aftershock has some setups, the way shatter works and the existence of air quake makes Aftershock really solid in neutral, IMO. Max range straight shatter is safe from max-range reversal specials not Reptile's EX slide (not that scary of a punish). Haven't tested if it's safe from Cassie and D'vorah's advancing normals, but it's generally super safe at that range.

-Shatter also gives Tremor high wall-carry, that only lava mode in Metallic will give you. Which is sweet, given the boulder and EX quake setups.

I feel like Aftershock shines in neutral and is stronger vs zoning than the other two variations. It's also great at racking up unbreakable damage. Every time Tremor has a bar, you cannot get hit by straight shatter or you will eat 26%.

InFlames

dead
Has anyone broke 30% from a EX Air Quake yet that doesnt involve the Aftershock or Air Boulders?

Sidenote: Ji4~EX Air Quake is awesome. You almost get to jump in for free. Right now people get so concerned with blocking it that you can just do an empty jump in and you're free to go to town.
Is EX Air quake any safer than normal air quake? I haven't checked the frame data yet

Last edited:

Syzoth

The last Saurian from Zaterra - Syzoth - Reptile

I stole your tech man because it was just too sick for when I tried to optimize his damage from a distance. His corner combos feel Noob-esque. lol

For the record and shits and giggles... this ends in a brutality.

Name v.5.0

Iowa's Finest.
Is EX Air quake any safer than normal air quake? I haven't checked the frame data yet
Nah, it's just as unsafe. You can armor between the hits, too.
THTB is right.

As for the overall safety of the move:

From what I've tested, you never really wanna do this move up close. A Ji4~DD1EX can be a neat trick but it's something you use sparingly because of how punishable it is up close. Outside of sweep range EX Air Quake is fairly safe. Depending on the height at which you do it, only certain characters can punish it. At max range nothing touches you. You can jump it and immediately run to get in Tremor's face though. It needs a lot more testing.

InFlames

dead
yo we got guaranteed resets

Only works against Quan Chi, Predator, and Blood God Kotal though since their wake ups are ass, but still badass and useful to know for these match-ups.

They can't jump out, backdash, delay wake, or use an armored wake up.

@D. R. look at this damage

Thanks @Lordrak for the unblockable combo idea. it's genius!

Last edited:

pogse

Ruthlesss Mayhem
Gonna post it here since it will just get lost in the general discussion
Cancelling Tremors (F121) / (B1/21 > D4 > U4) with DB1U w/ decent push back.
so with 21 > D4 > U4 > DB1U you get a 5 hit string sequence which can build meter and relatively safe. Magma and Aftershock only.

B1 > D4 > U4 > DB1U for footsie stuff you can just go throw out.

You can change just DB1 if you read a back dash. Haven't tested but it should have enough active frames to hit.

!IMPORTANT: So incase the opponent knows the matchup, they can dodge this by crouch blocking all the way if they are not using Jason, Kenshi, Cage, Kang, Ermac, Kotal or Raiden w/ (B1/21 > D4 > U4) string cancelled to DB1U but there is still Hope, because if they stand block the U4 of (B1/21 > D4 > U4) the DB1U will still hit whoever the character. even though the OH special is slow as sht, its enough reason to stand block after D4 of (B1/21 > D4 > U4). there is still the option of cancelling DB1 if the opponent catches on.

pros;
-cannot be ducked even though its a high
-builds meter
-gets 15 percent on hit
-can't poke out (atleast when I did tremor v tremor on practice w/ d1)

cons;
-can be armored through or backdash (similar to non EX hat for KL)

Crystalines has a big hole but the db1 is neutral, ex version is plus(hit confirmable) and can lead to 30%.
so you can get your opponent in the corner to do them corner stuff people posted.
in the corner if db1u hits. You can confirm and convert to 24% meterless i think w/ d1 then whichever followup you opt to e.g. Hkd dd4 ex setups or dd1 setups.

Last edited:

InFlames

dead
Mid Air Quake is safe if done at a low height, has anyone been able to pull of instant air Quakes? I don't think it's possible on pad

Syntonum

Kick when you have to kick.
... has anyone been able to pull of instant air Quakes? I don't think it's possible on pad
Playing on a stick, but it seems to be impossible. At start i thought you could cancel the Jumpkick at the end of B24 with an AirQuake. :/

GAV

Resolution through knowledge and resolve.

Jump in with an attack, continue with 1,2, D3 - neutral jump 1 - keep him up with B2 - then go into F1,2,D to B2 - and hold up or down to launch - then run up and D2.

It looks a lot harder than it actually is. If you leave the neutral jump 1 out, the timing on the end becomes easier, and it will still be in the 30's.

pogse

Ruthlesss Mayhem
Gonna post it here since it will just get lost in the general discussion

in the corner if db1u hits. You can confirm and convert to 24% meterless i think w/ d1 then whichever followup you opt to e.g. Hkd dd4 ex setups or dd1 setups.
update;

!IMPORTANT: So incase the opponent knows the matchup, they can dodge this by crouch blocking all the way if they are not using Jason, Kenshi, Cage, Kang, Ermac, Kotal or Raiden w/ (B1/21 > D4 > U4) string cancelled to DB1U but there is still Hope, because if they stand block the U4 of (B1/21 > D4 > U4) the DB1U will still hit whoever the character. even though the OH special is slow as sht, its enough reason to stand block after D4 of (B1/21 > D4 > U4). there is still the option of cancelling DB1 if the opponent catches on.

Last edited:
update;

Atleast f121 DB1U is a blockstring

CubaKahn

Noob
Anyone know the real frame data for his db1 in this variation? Starting to try Aftershock after messing with Crystalline and it looks like the DB1's have way more range, Im assuming at the expense of safety.

pogse

Ruthlesss Mayhem
Anyone know the real frame data for his db1 in this variation? Starting to try Aftershock after messing with Crystalline and it looks like the DB1's have way more range, Im assuming at the expense of safety.
Correct. Frame data on db1 for Aftershock is accurate.