What's new

AA grab invincibility

Just skip to 0:55 as the whole kabal thing was a bit of a vain attempt.

Shoutouts to Sonya Blake and Lulzlou for helping me with the vid.

So I just wanted to play around with the invincibility on AA grab. I saw this happen when playing with Error and I wanted to see if this could be a viable mobility tool.

Things to note:

Opponent must be in the air for invincibility to work. Doesn't matter what attack, so sektor's up missile, reptile's ex sfb, whatever.

Invincibility clearly does not last the entire duration of the AA grab.

If the attack makes contact while invincible, the attack does not lose it's active frames. If the attack is still active when you lose your invincibility frames, you will be hit out of the air.

Might be useful on sindel, kang, mileena, maybe kit?

Btw I'm not calling this shit new.

Lulzlou

Noob
Someone might have to get a kabal to try it offline. I can't get my online iagbs as low as I can get it offline.
Regardless, the match up wont get any better for Cyrax. It can easily get blown up by a nomad dash with the right read.

Someone might have to get a kabal to try it offline. I can't get my online iagbs as low as I can get it offline.
Regardless, the match up wont get any better for Cyrax. It can easily get blown up by a nomad dash with the right read.
Wouldn't help much. Even if you use the invincibility to get past one iagb, the second one will hit him out of the air, allowing for full combo.

I just thought, this could be useful against sz when cornered.

Squeaker101

Show me what you can do
I hope this doesn't become consistent.

I love zoning Cyrax, half the people online doesn't know what to do.

Squeaker101

Show me what you can do
This is very true. Infinite meter pretty much lol. They always try to teleport even if I punish it every time.
Lol. everyone I've bumped into tries to throw a net. The funny part is they don't try to get in, they just go further hoping to get a net out.

"GAWDDAMMIT! Alright, I'll try again... FUCK!"

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
It seems AA grabs don't have upper body invincibility, but rather no hitbox there at all, which is true invincibility.

The invincibility in MK9 is different from normal invincibility, because it's still a hitbox to cause collision detection. Normally, in other fighters, full invincibility is really just no hitbox either on the entire model/sprite, or specific areas, depending on the type of invincibility.

The AA grab, judging from the footage, has true invincibility to all attacks, since the gas blasts go THROUGH Cyrax, instead of disappearing as though it connected. Seems to last until last active frame.

TONY-T

Mad scientist
This was discussed a while back i think. I been doing this accidently against my mates raiden fire ball since forever. The ragdoll kick has this property too, but its harder to time.

I like how u use it against aa fire balls. Might be some potential use for it.

This is actually a huge thing in the Cyrax/Noob match up. Think Krayzie talks about doing an EX grab on read against a shadow charge at around jump distance. He'll gain the invincibility and go through the shadow, apparently. Luckily up knee will beat it out even on wake up and everything, and you can AA him out towards the end of his flight.

1man3letters

Alpha Tarkatan - Moderator
This was discussed a while back i think. I been doing this accidently against my mates raiden fire ball since forever. The ragdoll kick has this property too, but its harder to time.

I like how u use it against aa fire balls. Might be some potential use for it.
i thought with the ragdoll cyrax was going "under" the projectile,shifting his hitbox low,hmm interesting

NariTuba

disMember
I always assumed this was because you go into a crouching state for a few frames while inputing the down command, making the projectile whiff. It has strict timing. I remember Maxter doing this to CD a while back. Somberness ?

Think Krayzie talks about doing an EX grab on read against a shadow charge at around jump distance. He'll gain the invincibility and go through the shadow, apparently.
ExAA has armor, hes not taking the damage?

I always assumed this was because you go into a crouching state for a few frames while inputing the down command, making the projectile whiff. It has strict timing. I remember Maxter doing this to CD a while back.

This is just what Krayzie said in his mu thread in regards to the Noob mu. Krayzie

Perhaps I misunderstood, but he can comment on this thread anyway.

TONY-T

Mad scientist
i thought with the ragdoll cyrax was going "under" the projectile,shifting his hitbox low,hmm interesting
I cant say ive ever tried the ragdoll version on instant air projectiles, but ive done both the ragdoll and anti air throw versions on standing projectiles. The anti air version i do all the time usually by accident. Im usually upclose when i do it, and it appears as though my mates projectile gets absorbed when i do it. Ive the ragdoll version too in this manner. It seems as though there is about 1 or 2 frames on start up where both moves have invincibility.

KRYS9984

Noob
It seems the AA grab dodges when executed through the "trail" of the projectile and works best at a closer range. If done head on, the projectile will win and you risk a combo from characters like Kabal and Mileena. The AA grab has true invincibility frame on wake-up; projectiles will hit Cyrax and deal no damage.

Imho, the best strategy to deal with air projectile spam is dash / crouch and when you get within a reasonable range you can start throwing out d1 jabs or perhaps a ragdoll since it's close to the ground and can catch an airborne opponent. Using the AA Grab as a means of mobility against characters with air projectiles seems a little too risky and inconsistent, there are better ways to get around this.

Somberness

Lights
I always assumed this was because you go into a crouching state for a few frames while inputing the down command, making the projectile whiff. It has strict timing. I remember Maxter doing this to CD a while back. Somberness ?

It has the same air invincibility as a couple other moves, frame 2 to 11. I think it is 11, hard to tell with the hitboxes.

derOeler

Death comes to all!
Has Cyrax exAA (Power Anti-Air) armor by any means?
I know it has invincibility properties for some frames,..but is there any armor?

GuamoKun

I Break Hearts, Not Combos
Has Cyrax exAA (Power Anti-Air) armor by any means?
I know it has invincibility properties for some frames,..but is there any armor?
Yes it has armor. I don't know if the armor lasts for the whole move's duration or what but it has armor.

btw this is a really dirty tool and 9/10 times makes his wakeups safe (unless you can read them correct and punish him in the small window where he is punishable)

There is no invincibility on start up on the regular anti-air grab, the move just takes you forward and up at the precise moment when the projectiles are behind you, making it look like you are going through them.

There is no invincibility on start up on the regular anti-air grab, the move just takes you forward and up at the precise moment when the projectiles are behind you, making it look like you are going through them.
This is wrong. You get invincibility frames while airborne. Somberness has already speculated it may be from frame 2 - 11.

This is wrong. You get invincibility frames while airborne. Somberness has already speculated it may be from frame 2 - 11.
Sorry I think that is not true. The video speaks for itself. It may look like you are going thru projectiles but in reality it is slightly behind you creating the illusion you have gone through it.