What's new

A few gameplay tweaks .. yes or no?

Voodoo

Smack it up, flip it and rub it down.
I agree on most of what you are saying. People here will say that you are describing Street Fighter while as a matter of fact 99% of Good technical 2D games are like that. Street Fighter, King of Fighters, anime games for the most part , etc,etc.

It is just that it seems that there is a Street Fighter phobia in here. Illogical gameplay design is part of the Mortal Kombat identity at this point and if the audience and the series fans are loving it then more power to them.

It just feels like a terrible design where anti-airs are meh, the scenario of the opponent jumping in with an amazing jump attack that will jail you on block into a 50/50 has honestly gotten stale really fast. This seem further enhanced by some amazing jumping attacks like Kung Jin has for examples.

I dunno, overall i agree with you. I am not having as much fun with it as i did with MK9 or even Injustice. The game at this point does favor constant 50/50 BS which isn't for me.
Word

I really dislike the block button. I know it's a Mortal Kombat staple, and would be annoying not to have against Teleport characters, but something about watching two players standing right next to each other both holding block while waiting for someone to make a move is silly to me.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
Look a salt thread lol.

"I don't want you to think i don't like the mechanics of this game but, i don't like this mechanics of this game, lets change it to be similar to other fighting games i'm used to play"

Not hating or anything, just spend more time in the lab and learn the basics of the game.

Projectiles trading? LOL this is Mortal Kombat

AA in this game, jump attacks can be anti aired if aimed for your chest and can be ducked and whiff punish on land if aimed for your head, you can do this against all the cast except for Kung Jin.

Chip damage is one of the major mechanics that makes MK a very unique game, there is nothing wrong with chips.

You block way too much, trying to react to things on sight, in many cases you have to be on your opponents head and anticipate his moves two or 3 steps earlier before conversion, this is where the magic happens. Nothing wrong with thick throws and fast lows and overheads.

MK9 had invincible wakeup moves with armor, totally killed the knockdown advantage because it was a wakeup fest, now NO ONE gets to wakeup for free, meaning you have to learn how to get out of the ground, similar to tekken, getting out doesn't always meaning coming out with reversals, sometimes you want do max delay the wakeup time to throw off the opponent's read and back dash to a safer position, and sometimes you want to wakeup throw.

The throw system is fine, if someone is constantly throwing you is because he knows you're mind is pinned to just blocking, you might as well take the hard read and neutral duck it to punish. At first i though this would be complicated, but now even on weeklies i get to see a lot of top players knowing when someone is going for the throws.

The footsies and spacing exist in this game, we're like what 3 weeks old?

Game is fine, honestly i don't see why we need to change anything, its a risk reward game, make sure you learn your options to minimize 50-50s and regain your momentum once you set the game back to neutral.

Last edited:

pzea

Noob
The throw countering system is pretty dumb, true. If I ever counter a throw, it's by accident...

The 50/50 game is fine imo because you can use a bar of meter to get out of it, potentially getting a combo yourself. What sucks is that some characters don't have good armored wakeup options. Imo, they should allow you to meterburn a back dash. This would give your back dash infinite armor and make it go much further keeping you safe. This way, no mater what character you are playing, you have a safe armored wakeup option to get out of the 50/50 pressure. Just makes sense imo, if 50/50s are everywhere in this game there should be a universal option to get out of it for 1 bar of meter.

MisguidedAngel

Greetings, Mortal
The only thing I'd change about MKX, other than getting rid of all the option select nonsense, is allow you to throw break while holding block. The throw system is exactly the same as Soul Calibur in MK, except in SC you can do it while holding block (and duck them while holding block...). It's too punishing the way it is now.

Maybe scale damage more on combos from overheads or something but whatever. It's the way it is.

STRYKIE

Are ya' ready for MK11 kids?!
Also since these suggestions have come from a Tekken player, I have a suggestion of my own for the console revision of T7; EWGF should hit mid. I mean, according to Kitana players, if something hits high, you can just duck it and it's curtains right there. Clearly electrics aren't that good and the Koreans are just a bunch of frauds. :tonyt

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
To comment on the throw sytem:

Throws are very good. Not super damaging, but it adds up, and, in its current form, gives you a reason to let go of the block button. For some characters, this is a big deal since they don't have very resourceful high/low options, and even for those with them, maybe the player doesn't want to go balls-deep on a guessing game like that. They are designed to be useful without actually being overbearing.

You have to remember, though, throws are 10 frames, with a 10-frame break window, and can be neutral crouched. That gives you 20 frames to see the throw and press a button. Some of you are asking to remove the two things that actually makes them strong in the first place (being unable to break without letting go of block, and the 50/50 guess). Consider the following:

-Throws aren't just avoided by neutral crouch. Crossover jumps are a really effective answer to throws, considering they also cover characters attempting to poke.

-You have to be pretty close to get them. Not as hard as it was in MK9, but definitely something to note.

-They are 10 frames. For MKX, that isn't very fast, so you have a shot at being poked out by d1s, d3s, d4s, uppercuts, most jabs, etc.

-Armor beats them. This is unlike other fighting games, where throws beat armor.