What's new

5 NRS characters that are a work of art in all 3 games and 5 that are a complete disaster

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
For this, i want you guys to look at balance, gameplay design according to the game mechanics, try to breakdown a character as a whole rather than just focus into a single aspect which can be bothersome for many.

Be wary that whatever you post here, is just your own opinion, anyone can agree to disagree but in the end, what i really want to see, is how many characters will be listed in this thread by multiple persons.

I will start of course.

The top 5 best ones IMO

5. Aquaman (IGAU)
Aquaman at his ed boon introduction ppl were calling it Boring, and how a character which its powers come from the sea can be useful, i gotta admit that at this point i didn't knew much about DC characters at all, and Aquaman was the first one i tried in Injustice when it came out.
I gotta say, he felt incredibly firm, amazing control and very good normals, good walkspeed, he was also the introduction of priority normals with no absurd range.

Aquaman could fight footsies mostly like anyone before in past NRS games, and he got a way to try launch ppl out and stay safe if that was the case using his scoop with his trait to soft punishing attacks allowing to block after the first hit, of course in the end he became top 5 in the game if not top 3.

4. Scorpion (MKX)
After the disaster Scorpion was in MK9, NRS did justice to him in MKX, at least in two variations incredibly variety, great walkspeeds and good normals, hard punishing and kept his restands mixups, punishable if played risky but there wasn't really no need to use takedown mixups to open people up at the highest level, which was actually part of the play, a fair introduction to people who never played fighting games with Ninjutsu, and a character to comeback later on either on Ninjutsu or Hellfire more characters in future deserve Scorpion's treatment.

3. Jade (MK9)
Anyone, i'm saying, ANYONE who tried jade in MK9 would immediately main her, Jade was one of the coolest designs NRS ever did to a fighting game character even now, also they did Justice to her since UMK3 and MKT, which gave her some interesting moves and so on, but they also sinned because she was nerfed for no reason, the projectile flash would let her invulnerable to projectiles and the armor glow would basically turn jade into a walking tank, who could armor through any hit, sadly it also did double damage to her and she really sucked in general, pretty sad because she used to be good before the nerf.

2. Kabal (MK9)
While ppl called Kabal broken, Kabal is one of those rare gems that came from a though of technical concept, the simple fact that he could cancel his nomad dash gave him a huge variety, really heavy in execution, very good pressure even without overhead and low combo starters Kabal was a really strong character in MK9 that others characters were found pretty tough to keep up with, i still think ppl started to blame Kabal more, he was indeed broken, but only because he could dominate everyone else in all aspects of the game, he was one patch away of being balanced and he would become a pretty fun character to fight against as he was fun to use.

1. Skarlet (MK9)
Imagine a character with jason ultra armor that can cancel into a launcher and when it finishes she can move with 2 hits of armor for free at the end.
No doubt, the controversy character which even today ppl say she was not that good, and some say she was very good and some say she was an ok character.

I think the fact that Skarlet had the most powerful armor move in the game and she was a meter reliant character and could also build this same meter that fast she was one of the strongest in the game, while her mixups were somewhat easier to block for some godlike ppl, blocking her pressure would actually build her meter much faster than the entire cast raising her defensive options at much faster rate than most, so one factor affected the other, either you block her correctly and fight a skarlet with a bunch of armor in defense to bait trades, pass zoning, bait armor you name it, or you don't let her start anything or build meter in first place, on top of all that, her walkspeed was pretty awesome as well as her normals and strings, but her gameplan wasn't that easy to come by, but once mastered it was golden.

5 disasters

5.Sonya (MKX)
Basically the 2 strings characters from MKX, before the final version it was an OH to low fest on every knockdown and made sonya super Boring IMO, strings that ocupy a lot of space for no reason, Demo was something else entirely but not only they took away the fun part of her, for a reason. Mk9 was way more fun than this one even if her main game was d4~military stance

4.Stryker (MK9)
One of the less though outs characters in MK9, a complete disaster and the only time i've seen stryker looking good was when Espio used him against a Baraka player once in MK9 life time, the slowest normals in the world, no actual mixups, no good walkspeed, everything about Stryker was bad in MK9.

3.Baraka (MK9)

At some point i started to think, NRS had no ideia what to do with Baraka, he sucked in so many levels, and should definitely hang out with Stryker and Jade, trash tier for life lol. Baraka i still think that he was just there for legacy reasons his moves were only designed to look good, and that's it, he also didn't had any launcher which really didn't help him at all along with his mediocre strings and normals.

2.Cyborg (IGAU)
LOL, dafuq is this NRS, what kind of trait is this, seriously, i don't even know where to begin, definitely one of the worse characters ever

1. Kung Lao (MKX) / Kenshi (MKX)
pretty meh, a piece of advice NRS, if one character is good in the previous game, there is no reason to make them absolute shit on future installments, this will only piss off people that mained them, for everyone who mained this characters across the board i feel sorry, u guys got the T4 to T5 Jin treatment and none of you deserved it.

I can't say much for Kenshi, but i can say for Lao, first thing that really didn't like, the Walkspeed, even PL who is the jump champion he said when KL appeared for the first time on a trailer back in 2015 that he didn't really liked KL walkspeed, his normals were mostly minus full of gaps, and lots of inconsistencies either a string will connect or not with spin on right ranges and heights, this is the most inconsistent character in MKX, and i hopefully we don't see a disaster like this again.
KL was super fun to use in MK9, can't say i feel the same way about him in MKX in any variation and i tried all of them.

well these are my choices, pretty sure you guys have your own, share your opinion and even your 5 characters you think are work of art and 5 that are just a disaster.

GLoRToR

Positive Poster!
Jade basically needed 12~ to combo, u3 to remain a mid, double damage removed from glow and flash fixed to work against ALL ZONING (Sorry Kenshi)

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
My initial reaction to this is that you had a dartboard with all the characters and just threw darts to make these picks. Most of them are super contradictory and have nothing to do with the actual designs of the characters.
i said pretty well that you can agree to disagree, i'm not saying these are the ones, but these are my picks, if i threw darts at them or not, that's none of your business.

but i would really like to see what your picks are, which is the whole point of this thread, put all characters into a dartboard and throw darts at them, then share it.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
Hahaha!!!!! These youngins who complain about "omg so broken" have no idea what facing broken at a tournament level is really like.

#JinDeservedIt
He did, afterall just frame laser scrapple was a guaranteed hit which made 98% of the ppl maining jin back then.
KL and Kenshi didn't IMO, but they got the same treatment

Kooron Nation

More Ass and Tits for MK11
Hahaha!!!!! These youngins who complain about "omg so broken" have no idea what facing broken at a tournament level is really like.

#JinDeservedIt
@Eddy Wang
My favourite ever Tekken Character is Yoshimitsu, and from what I've heard/seen he has been low tier every Tekken game :( #feelsbadman

Kooron Nation

More Ass and Tits for MK11
But for my pick I'm going a bit more on the character's lore/story + a bit of their visual design/fighting style.

Best 5:
1. Quan Chi - bad ass sorcerer of the Netherealm who can conjure up green skeletons and put people in a trance, controlling them.

2. Raiden - Who doesn't love his Superman move lol?

3. Mileena/Kitana - Sexy assassins (keep the mask on pls) #baes

4. Kano - Bad ass mercenary + he's Aussie so I have to love him, repping my country.

5. Ares - Didn't play a lot of Injustice but this character is so fkin badass, how can you not like a God of War?

Worst 5:
1. Superman - never liked him in any comics or movies, and his play style in injustice looks like you just do one string into trait for huge damage, zone until trait recharges, repeat.

2. Liu Kang - Hate him and everything he's about. Typical martial arts Asian character that just makes unnecessary noises and is all about morals.

3. Ermac - He's an awesome design, and on paper he sounds awesome: "The master of 1000 souls", but in every MK game he's just a minion of whoever is in charge even tho he has all this power?

4. Aquaman - absolutely boring asf playstyle and design, would be more interesting if he looked like Aquaman from the new Justice League movie.

5. Baraka - What's even the point of this character? There's millions of tarkatans, why is he special?

For this, i want you guys to look at balance, gameplay design according to the game mechanics, try to breakdown a character as a whole rather than just focus into a single aspect which can be bothersome for many.

Be wary that whatever you post here, is just your own opinion, anyone can agree to disagree but in the end, what i really want to see, is how many characters will be listed in this thread by multiple persons.

I will start of course.

The top 5 best ones IMO

5. Aquaman (IGAU)
Aquaman at his ed boon introduction ppl were calling it Boring, and how a character which its powers come from the sea can be useful, i gotta admit that at this point i didn't knew much about DC characters at all, and Aquaman was the first one i tried in Injustice when it came out.
I gotta say, he felt incredibly firm, amazing control and very good normals, good walkspeed, he was also the introduction of priority normals with no absurd range.

Aquaman could fight footsies mostly like anyone before in past NRS games, and he got a way to try launch ppl out and stay safe if that was the case using his scoop with his trait to soft punishing attacks allowing to block after the first hit, of course in the end he became top 5 in the game if not top 3.

4. Scorpion (MKX)
After the disaster Scorpion was in MK9, NRS did justice to him in MKX, at least in two variations incredibly variety, great walkspeeds and good normals, hard punishing and kept his restands mixups, punishable if played risky but there wasn't really no need to use takedown mixups to open people up at the highest level, which was actually part of the play, a fair introduction to people who never played fighting games with Ninjutsu, and a character to comeback later on either on Ninjutsu or Hellfire more characters in future deserve Scorpion's treatment.

3. Jade (MK9)
Anyone, i'm saying, ANYONE who tried jade in MK9 would immediately main her, Jade was one of the coolest designs NRS ever did to a fighting game character even now, also they did Justice to her since UMK3 and MKT, which gave her some interesting moves and so on, but they also sinned because she was nerfed for no reason, the projectile flash would let her invulnerable to projectiles and the armor glow would basically turn jade into a walking tank, who could armor through any hit, sadly it also did double damage to her and she really sucked in general, pretty sad because she used to be good before the nerf.

2. Kabal (MK9)
While ppl called Kabal broken, Kabal is one of those rare gems that came from a though of technical concept, the simple fact that he could cancel his nomad dash gave him a huge variety, really heavy in execution, very good pressure even without overhead and low combo starters Kabal was a really strong character in MK9 that others characters were found pretty tough to keep up with, i still think ppl started to blame Kabal more, he was indeed broken, but only because he could dominate everyone else in all aspects of the game, he was one patch away of being balanced and he would become a pretty fun character to fight against as he was fun to use.

1. Skarlet (MK9)
Imagine a character with jason ultra armor that can cancel into a launcher and when it finishes she can move with 2 hits of armor for free at the end.
No doubt, the controversy character which even today ppl say she was not that good, and some say she was very good and some say she was an ok character.

I think the fact that Skarlet had the most powerful armor move in the game and she was a meter reliant character and could also build this same meter that fast she was one of the strongest in the game, while her mixups were somewhat easier to block for some godlike ppl, blocking her pressure would actually build her meter much faster than the entire cast raising her defensive options at much faster rate than most, so one factor affected the other, either you block her correctly and fight a skarlet with a bunch of armor in defense to bait trades, pass zoning, bait armor you name it, or you don't let her start anything or build meter in first place, on top of all that, her walkspeed was pretty awesome as well as her normals and strings, but her gameplan wasn't that easy to come by, but once mastered it was golden.

5 disasters

5.Sonya (MKX)
Basically the 2 strings characters from MKX, before the final version it was an OH to low fest on every knockdown and made sonya super Boring IMO, strings that ocupy a lot of space for no reason, Demo was something else entirely but not only they took away the fun part of her, for a reason. Mk9 was way more fun than this one even if her main game was d4~military stance

4.Stryker (MK9)
One of the less though outs characters in MK9, a complete disaster and the only time i've seen stryker looking good was when Espio used him against a Baraka player once in MK9 life time, the slowest normals in the world, no actual mixups, no good walkspeed, everything about Stryker was bad in MK9.

3.Baraka (MK9)

At some point i started to think, NRS had no ideia what to do with Baraka, he sucked in so many levels, and should definitely hang out with Stryker and Jade, trash tier for life lol. Baraka i still think that he was just there for legacy reasons his moves were only designed to look good, and that's it, he also didn't had any launcher which really didn't help him at all along with his mediocre strings and normals.

2.Cyborg (IGAU)
LOL, dafuq is this NRS, what kind of trait is this, seriously, i don't even know where to begin, definitely one of the worse characters ever

1. Kung Lao (MKX) / Kenshi (MKX)
pretty meh, a piece of advice NRS, if one character is good in the previous game, there is no reason to make them absolute shit on future installments, this will only piss off people that mained them, for everyone who mained this characters across the board i feel sorry, u guys got the T4 to T5 Jin treatment and none of you deserved it.

I can't say much for Kenshi, but i can say for Lao, first thing that really didn't like, the Walkspeed, even PL who is the jump champion he said when KL appeared for the first time on a trailer back in 2015 that he didn't really liked KL walkspeed, his normals were mostly minus full of gaps, and lots of inconsistencies either a string will connect or not with spin on right ranges and heights, this is the most inconsistent character in MKX, and i hopefully we don't see a disaster like this again.
KL was super fun to use in MK9, can't say i feel the same way about him in MKX in any variation and i tried all of them.

well these are my choices, pretty sure you guys have your own, share your opinion and even your 5 characters you think are work of art and 5 that are just a disaster.
Baraka was fine in mk9, underrated spacer with blade charge and down, lots of safe specials.

both sonyas were a trainwreck.

ForeverKing

Patreon.com/MK_ForeverKing
Sonya in MKX was boring to me but Sonya in MK9 was super fun. I love how fast paced you could be with her, and her corner combos were fun. Dive kick 21 cartwheel, B21 kiss, dive kick 21 military stance 1, just get the hit advantage to make your opponent forced to block B21 military stance into mix. Sonya was great.

Even her midscreen combos were fun too, like 114 military stance B1, B21 cartwheel, 112 military stance D1

Or

B212, njp, tiny forward dash canceled into kiss, dive kick 21 cartwheel, 21 military stance F1 leg grab

Sonya was actually super fun in MK9 if you had all the optimals down. She was one of the only female NRS characters I played with alot, along with Wonder Woman

Error

DF2+R2
Sonya in MKX was boring to me but Sonya in MK9 was super fun. I love how fast paced you could be with her, and her corner combos were fun. Dive kick 21 cartwheel, B21 kiss, dive kick 21 military stance 1, just get the hit advantage to make your opponent forced to block B21 military stance into mix. Sonya was great.

Even her midscreen combos were fun too, like 114 military stance B1, B21 cartwheel, 112 military stance D1

Or

B212, njp, tiny forward dash canceled into kiss, dive kick 21 cartwheel, 21 military stance F1 leg grab

Sonya was actually super fun in MK9 if you had all the optimals down. She was one of the only female NRS characters I played with alot, along with Wonder Woman
Landing that instant divekick to whiff punish pokes was so fire.

All I feel is sadness when I think of the neutered military stance in MKX

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist

Or

Lets not forget F22 military stance dive kick link into 21 cartwheel, which was one of the sexiest links in whole MK9, basically every MK9 player wanted to land that combo at some part of their life.

couldnt disagree more about mk9 baraka. still secret mid tier, maybe even upper mid. his corner game was killer.

otherwise:

Great designs: smoke in mk9, raven in injustice, both very solid, balanced, fun to play and cool looking characters. patched mk9 raiden was also good as well as baraka. cant really name anyone from mkx.

failed designs: probably cyborg in injustice as a simple teleport broke his whole gameplan. manhunter as nothing broke his gameplan. vanilla quan in mkx. tbh there are so many times nrs fucked up.

xInfra Deadx

Gimmick stolen by Jordan Peele
As a disclaimer, i'm leaving MKX off the list due to the netcode being so bad for too long for my liking.

5 Worst:

5. Zatanna (IGAU) Okay, this is going to sound like me chastizing this character for playing similar to Ares, but come on, she failed as a DLC character. Bad footsies, pitiful midscreen damage and too stiff of a learning curve for anyone to pick up. Not to mention anyone going to a tourney THINKING of playing of this character is going to have to have a backup character on the ready due to Aquaman and Martian Manhunter being popular tournament characters...and she gets destroyed by both of them.

4. Sonya (MK9) I know I use the term braindead loosely when it comes to certain characters but goddamnit, people missed this too late for their own good. Good footsies with her D4 into Military Stance for chip damage, best uppercut in the game, heavy damage with her Dive Kick not to mention a standing reset that goes right into her Military Stance for more chip damage! The only reason she's this low is what I said earlier. Not too many people were successful with her...and that's inexcusable.

3. Cyborg (IGAU) Cyborg was...pretty busted for a while. He had an instant air mid projectile that gave a lot of people headaches except a few characters. Unfortunately when this was taken away, he felt more like a neutered dog, bad footsies, poor punish damage, bad trait, and ineffective setups late in the game's life, and got nothing significant in return. It also doesn't help that every other zoning character bodies him in that department. That alone speaks volumes. That apparently didn't stop certain people selling a huge bill of goods that went mostly unproven.

2. Zod (IGAU) Martian, Aquaman, and Batgirl have balance issues, yes. I get it. But Zod...holy shit this is a character no one wants to see again designed like this. Powerful zoning along with Instant Air Zod Balls shutting some characters down completely, 50-50's, high damage, and TRAIT. SHUTS. DOWN. EVERYTHING. AND. THEN. SOME. Like guaranteed interactables, chip damage, 50-50's...he's a monster.

1. Kenshi (MK9) Ah yes...the legend himself. Kenshi. I don't think braindead is enough to describe how strong he is. Say what you want about Kabal, but at least you couldn't afford to play half-assed with him. Kenshi does not have that same learning curve as some people say they do, they just...don't play him right. The problem with Kenshi is that he destroys so many characters and invalidates them completely like Sub Zero and Jade which is pretty much considered an impossible match (10-0). Along with having some of the best zoning moves like Spirit Charge and TK Slash, his EX Spirit Charge is by far and above the best armored move in MK9. Period.

I might do my 5 best sometime later...if i'm in a better mood...

STRYKIE

Are ya' ready for MK11 kids?!
Baraka was fine in mk9
couldnt disagree more about mk9 baraka. still secret mid tier, maybe even upper mid.

Baraka's MK9 frame data said:
Startup (singular | cumulative)
1 - 13
1,2 - 18 | 34
1,2,1 - 13 | 53
1,2,2 - 15 | 55
1,2,B+3 - 22 | 62
2 - 23
2,1 - 25 | 49
2,1,2 - 26 | 75
2,2 - 22 | 46
2,2,1+2 - 12, 9 second hit | 60, 78 second hit
3 - 13
3,B+3 - 27 | 42
4 - 12
D+1 - 7
D+2 - 11
D+3 - 6
D+4 - 12
B+1 - 16
B+1,1 - 8 | 29
B+1,F+2 - 17 | 38, 48 second hit
B+2 - 21
B+2,F+2 - 21 | 46
B+3 - 17
B+3,1 - 20 | 39
B+3,1,F+1 - 21 | 72
B+3,2 - 14 | 33
B+3,2,2 - 29 | 67
B+4 - 26
F+2 - 19
F+2,2 - 18 | 43
F+2,4 - 22 | 47
F+4 - 12
F+4,4 - 3 | 22
U+3 - 24
U+4 - 33
Throw - 10
Blade Charge - 10
Spark - 16
Spark (full screen) - 41
Chop Chop - 16
Blade Spin - 7, 18 second hit
Slices - 11, 23 second hit, 49 third hit
Blade Rush - 10
Blade Rush (full screen) - 18
Sparked - 16
Sparked (full screen) - 41
Chopchop Shop - 16
Spinner - 7, 26 second hit, 44 third hit
Slicer - 11, 23 second hit, 51 third hit, 59 fourth hit
Nail And Impale - 15

Advantage (block | hit)
1 - 0 | 0
1,2 - -6 | +8
1,2,1 - -4 | +5
1,2,2 - -5 | +3
1,2,B+3 - -2 | +22, +18
2 - -3 | +3
2,1 - 0 | +12
2,1,2 - 0 | +50, +58
2,2 - 0 | +10
2,2,1+2 - +8 | +58, +47
3 - -8 | +11
3,B+3 - -2 | +23, +19
4 - -20 | +4
D+1 - -15 | 0
D+1 (vs crouch) - -15 | -3
D+2 - -1 | +34, +26
D+3 - -8 | +2
D+3 (vs crouch) - -8 | +9
D+4 - 0 | +13
D+4 (vs crouch) - 0 | +6
B+1 - +5 | +12
B+1,1 - -14 | +4
B+1,F+2 - -5 | +49, +32
B+2 - -20 | +1
B+2,F+2 - -5 | +49, +32
B+3 - -7 | -3
B+3,1 - -11 | +73, +49
B+3,1,F+1 - -15 | +44, +36
B+3,2 - -18 | +6
B+3,2,2 - -14 | +42, +50
B+4 - +11 | +33, +30
F+2 - -10 | -2
F+2,2 - -22 | +17, +4
F+2,4 - -9 | +40, +48
F+4 - -7 | +9
F+4,4 - -2 | +48, +36
U+3 - +10 | +58, +41
U+4 - -29 | +17, -15
Forward Throw - N/A | +7
Backward Throw - N/A | +7
Blade Charge - -21 | +16, 0 (advantage increases by 1 for each frame it takes the move to hit)
Spark - -23 | -4
Chop Chop - -26 | +43, +51
Blade Spin - 0 | +43, +26
Slices - 0 | +34, +8
Blade Rush - -21 | +16, -1 (advantage increases by 1 for each frame it takes the move to hit)
Blade Rush (full screen) - -13 | +24, +7
Sparked - -23 | +12
Chopchop Shop - -26 | +29, +37
Spinner - 0 | +45, +28
Slicer - 0 | +42, +46
Nail And Impale - -16 (advantage increases by 1 for each frame it takes the move to hit) | -7

Cancel Advantage (block | hit)
1 - +17 | +23
1,2 - +16 | +29
1,2,1 - +21 | +31
1,2,2 - +25 | +34
2 - +27 | +33
2,1 - +27 | +33
2,2 - +25 | +30
2,2,1+2 - ≥+17 (≥+10 last hit)
3 - +19 | +39
4 - +17 | +41
D+1 - -1 | +14
D+1 (vs crouch) - -1 | +12
D+3 - +1 | +14
D+3 (vs crouch) - +1 | +12
D+4 - +25 | +31
D+4 (vs crouch) - +25 | +24
B+1 - +23 | +29
B+1,1 - +19 | +37
B+1,F+2 - +20
B+2 - +23 | +44
B+3 - +18 | +22
B+3,1 - +8 | N/A
B+3,2 - +15 | +39
F+2 - +22 | +29
F+4 - +13 | +29

Miscellaneous
Breaker (when grounded vs grounded opponent) - ~+5, ~+4
1,2 - 1 frame gap
1,2,B+3 - 6 frame gap
3,B+3 - 8 frame gap
B+3,1 - 2 frame gap
B+3,2,2 - 14 frame gap
Slicer - 1 frame gap between second and third hit

majority of these numbers would be charity case worthy in MKX never mind MK9...