What's new

4 gate vs 8 gate vs circular

timka4

Noob
Hey everyone, new to the forums (basically) and wanted to ask a question about fighsticks (sorry if it's been done I looked and couldn't find it).

Played MK9 and playing IJ now on pad, but recently I've really wanted to get a stick. I'm finding it very hard to know which stick is good for a beginner and is kinda cheap at the same time (suggestions could be cool)

I've read some stuff on 4 gate and 8 gate and I'm confused with the 8 gate situation. Something about 2 different type of 8 gates. One let's you 'feel the corners' while another type of 8-gate doesn't make you 'feel the corner's.
What does that mean? Does the 1st one work like a gear box in a car meaning you 'feel corner's' due to actually putting the stick into a corner slot position? Like changing gears in a car??
While the 2nd 8 gate works like a generic analogue stick on pad? But this sounded like a 'circular gate' description I read so I'm not sure

Is this right? any help would be appreciated so that it's kind of a long answer, not sure if I worded some stuff right either. Cheers

timka4

Noob
Thanks. So what are the different names for each 8 gate (if there are different names) and which one would be best for IJ and which one is best for UMVC3/sf4 etc

chemist4hire

I Got Guiled
Its all preference, but I prefer a Square gate over an octoaganal gate. Square get has less throw (distance between microswitch and actuator) and forces you to learn the correct motions. Octogates have a longer throw and encourages sloppy inputs. If you go to a tournament and play on an octogate, if your stick breaks down you will have a hard time finding another stick to borrow and will find a square gate to hard to adapt to quickly. So for SF/Marvel you are better off with a square gate.

For MK/Injustice you should stick to pad or get a hotbox. The way the input system works in that game makes playing on stick difficult with certain characters.

timka4

Noob
Ok, so square gate is the 4 directional patterns (up, down, left, right) so how would one diagonally jump with that if you can't move the stick in the diagonal direction, or can you actually move the stick diagonally in square gate?

square <- 2d games
octagonal <- 3d games

i got only for mk9 a square AND octagonal on the same gate.
which means i got db and df disabled.

chemist4hire

I Got Guiled
Ok, so square gate is the 4 directional patterns (up, down, left, right) so how would one diagonally jump with that if you can't move the stick in the diagonal direction, or can you actually move the stick diagonally in square gate?
In a square gate you can move the stick in any direction same as you would with an octoganal gate. The Square gate just restricts how far the stick moves compared to an octaganal gate. Because of this it makes for faster response and lets you feel the corners. On an octoganal gate the stick movement is not as restricted so response time is slower and you cannot feel any corners.

Read this it should help you.

Clark L.

F1 ftw.
If you want to buy one for a cheaper price thats not total crapola, I recommend the qanba q1, it also comes with a square and octogonal so you can see which one you like more

And itd only 60$ new

chemist4hire

I Got Guiled
fail :D
it is like he wrote but change square with octa
Actually we are both wrong cause neither of us described how we play with a stick as a point of reference. If you play charge characters you spend most of your time on the edge of the gate and you will prefer a square gate because you spend most of your time on the corners and cane feel them on a square gate,and my description makes sense to you. Whereas if you spend most of your time in neutral and like to lots of dp motions then my description my feel inverse to you such as Mapusa has stated.

timka4

Noob
Cheers for all the info guys, after going on that website chemist4hire, it seems like 8-way circular would be the most comfortable so as you are not hitting those jutted edges of some of the other designs. To me anyway (obviously haven't tried any type of stick).
Although I could also see the 4-gate sideways rhombus one working well too.
I've noticed some sticks have a left stick, dpad and right stick function. I've read dpad selection is popular with those. DPAD setting with 8-gate circular would be optimal for IJ wouldn't it? I know each to their own, but yeah

I can't make sense of your double quotes. Are you saying you can feel corners (diagnol inputs, db, df, etc) better on an octoganal gate compared to a square gate? If so I disagree.
here is your quote:
In a square gate you can move the stick in any direction same as you would with an octoganal gate. The Square gate just restricts how far the stick moves compared to an octaganal gate. Because of this it makes for faster response and lets you feel the corners. On an octoganal gate the stick movement is not as restricted so response time is slower and you cannot feel any corners.
clear now? again the description is ok but u put the gates wrong.
or u want to tell me that a octa gate is NOT restricted and u cant feel any corner?
:D

chemist4hire

I Got Guiled
here is yout quote:

clear now? again the description is ok but u put the gates wrong.
or u will tell me that a octa gate is NOT restricted?
:D
I am saying an octa gate is not AS restricted as a square gate. Hences the looser feel of an octagate. Its restricted just not to the extent of a square gate. I see now that you highlighted it. I thought you were reversing every occasion of square and octa in my original post. I am writing while chasing my kid around so it makes for a lost train of thought.

I am saying an octa gate is not AS restricted as a square gate. Hences the looser feel of an octagate. Its restricted just not to the extent of a square gate. I dont see how reversing my original statement makes that point.
the octagonal gate IS restricted, and u CAN feel corners.
the square gate ISNT restricted and u CANT feel corners.

chemist4hire

I Got Guiled
ok then you are complete wrong. sorry it makes no sense.
the octagonal gate IS restricted, and u CAN feel corners.
Not saying you cant feel corners, just saying you cant feel them as well as on a square gate.

Do y0u agree that octal gates feel looser than square gates? If so, is it because the transition between directions feel smoother? If so would that not suggest that corners are easier to find on a square gate than on a octo gate?

Not saying you cant feel corners, just saying you cant feel them as well as on a square gate.
the reason of a octagonal gate is that you want to have the corners (8 ways). so it make s sense for 3D fighting games like Tekken.
and obviously you can feel the corners more on an octa as on a square.

chemist4hire

I Got Guiled
LOL are you kidding me or something?
the reason of a octagonal gate is that you want to have the corners. so it make s sense for 3D fighting games like Tekken.
and obviously you can feel the corners more on an octa as on a square.
LOL if that was the reason, you would use a square gate because you have a larger percentage of hitting the corner as opposed to an octoganol gate. Go read that link I posted and you will see that.

Quote from website:
But the square gate has some advantages. It is not difficult to hit the primary directions (up, down, left, and right) as they compose all the borders around the deadzone, and the diagonal directions are easy to hit because they have large throw sizes. While on circle and octagon restrictors, it is a compounding challenge to hit the diagonals when they have no edges on the deadzone, small engage zone sizes, and only an equally-sized region of throw. The square gate assists in finding the diagonals more easily and accurately, while single directions are easy enough because they surround the deadzone.

The reason people like an octagonal gate is for the smoother feel in doing circular motions. It feels more natural to do rounded motions on a rounded gate as opposed to a square gate.

LOL if that was the reason, you would use a square gate because you have a larger percentage of hitting the corner as opposed to an octoganol gate. Go read that link I posted and you will see that.

The reason people like an octagonal gate is for the smoother feel in doing circular motions. It feels more natural to do rounded motions on a rounded gate as opposed to a square gate.
with a octagonal gate it is much easier to hit 8 ways. because you can feel all directions clear.
With a Square gate are Circular Motions Smoother since you dont got all 8 ways clear.
btw this is a Octagonal gate, read the description.
http://www.arcadeshop.de/Sanwa-Joysticks-Restrictor-GT-Y-JLF_641.html

chemist4hire
The reason people like an octagonal gate is for the smoother feel in doing circular motions.
90% of 2D fighting games players (circular motions) uses Square gates. also they are default on a new stick.
So that should speak for itself.
Sorry but you are complete wrong.

chemist4hire

I Got Guiled
with a octagonal gate it is much easier to hit 8 ways. because you can feel all directions clear.
With a Square gate are Circular Motions Smoother since you dont got all 8 ways clear.
LOL i am out.
btw this is a Octagonal gate, read the description.
http://www.arcadeshop.de/Sanwa-Joysticks-Restrictor-GT-Y-JLF_641.html
I know what they are I build sticks and have been playing with them for decades. You are trading off accuracy for the smoother feel. Which was my point. You are not using the gate to hit the corners easier you using it because it makes transitioning between directions feel easier to you. Half of those inputs during that motion are not necessary, they are redundant, but some people prefer that because it feels smoother. That is the difference you just don't know how to explain it.

chemist4hire

I Got Guiled
chemist4hire

90% of 2D fighting games players (circular motions) uses Square gates. also they are default on a new stick.
So that should speak for itself.
Sorry but you are complete wrong.
They play on sqaure gates because they want the accuracy over the smoothness. Its a preference choice which I stated in my first post and one that has switched in the recent years due to the availabilty of japanese sticks which come with square gates out of the box. Older players who grew up on Happs arcarde parts which had no gates sometimes prefer the octagonal gates because it gives them a closer feel to what they are used to.

I got my first fight stick about three years ago and played using the square gate. I really didn't give it a chance because I was use to the old arcade stiff circle gate systems. I immediately bought an octagon gate and used it for a bit and thought it felt a little better. Then I bought another fight stick and used the default square gate and realized for me that square does feel a lot better especially for SF4 (I was using Guile so square made it a lot easier)

Anyways, I stuck with square gate for all games after that, MK9, MvC3, SFXT, SC5. However, with Injustice I ended using the PS2/PS3 pad because I feel it is a lot easier to consistently do Back, Forward moves within combos on a pad. If you end up buying a fightstick, buy it on Amazon or other stores and return it if you don't like it.

They play on sqaure gates because they want the accuracy over the smoothness. Its a preference choice which I stated in my first choice and one that has switched in the recent years due to the availabilty of japanese sticks which come with square gates out of the box. Older players who grew up on Happs arcarde parts which had no gates sometimes prefer the octagonal gates because it gives them a closer feel to what they are used to.
how a octagonal gate can be smoother? if you make a 360 move on a octagonal you feel 8 ways, on a square only 4.
obviously the square gate feels smoother.
but, again, in 3D games you dont have 360 or half circle motions, so it does not matter.

JacopeX

Playing: Injustice, Persona, Blazblue, and MK
4 Gate stick user, MK(Liu Kang) and Injustice (Batman) player here.

It's all preference. Personally, Four gate allows me to input commands much quicker without restriction for the sides/corners. Most people who are new to arcade sticks at first think they need the sides and are therefore planning on riding the edges. My suggestion is to first try four gate and see if it works out for you. I see better use for Eight gate for 3D fighters than 2D fighters. I find the extra directions a bit pointless.

I play all sorts of fighters, but let me stay on topic and talk MK

I can do IAFBs much easier than pad and I have doubts I can do them efficiently with 8 way gate (73lp 73lp 73lp 73lp).