What's new

UMK3 @ SB2012

I would really love to give this game the shine it deserves this year at SEASONS BEATINGS. However it is played on so many platforms with so many variables it makes the system of choice tough. Would you all oppose to it being on the XBL 06 version? Reason being it would be the most consistent system if it was needed on multiple stations and IMO MKAK is not cutting it on PS3 or XB.

I know in one time or another (or still do) that all you killas have played on this version and it is my goal that if it happens to pop off , You will all be here to battle against all of the online rivals once in for all....... LIVE!

Once we can agree on a platform I will post the stakes and rules. Goodlook again for all those that have supported SB over the years.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
I for one wouldn't mind it being on the XBL 06 version. I however doubt I'll be able to make it so my opinion doesn't really matter. The main problem with this version though is the lack of button configuration.

AREZ God of War

The Crazy BeastMaster
Yes, Mame is the only truly reliable version which supports proper button configure, accurate frame rates, BOYC (in every manner), and a variety of other advantages. Playing on XBL's version would likely put PC and PS players at a disadvantage also. Frames were removed in that version as well to make the port conversion. Mame is not just accurately arcade-perfect, .....it is actually slightly BETTER than playing on a cabinet. Run it on a powerful PC, set power-save mode and use Juggernaut hack (and ban Noob Saibot if preferred, for obvious reasons).

IMO, Keep the character if you win should be removed from the rules and ALL matches should be 3/5.

As long as we have multiple confirmed laptops with the same versions Im koo with mame.

Arez do you ever play on XBl 06?

Juggs you cant make it in the fall??

AREZ God of War

The Crazy BeastMaster
As long as we have multiple confirmed laptops with the same versions Im koo with mame.

Arez do you ever play on XBl 06?

Juggs you cant make it in the fall??
Nah,I mean I have before, but I dont have a 360, so I mainly play on Mame and PSN. i prefer Mame overall, but PSN has a LOT more competition and easier match-making. IMO, I wouldn't even run it on a laptop unless it's a beast....a good desktop w/ alot of power is the best way to do it, and hook it all into a projector-screen if u have the option like Shock and Phil used to do. I think SB is in Ohio, so i wouldn't worry too much about it cuz you'll already have Shock,Phil and Tim and a bunch of UMK3-Vets to ensure everything runs smooth.

My advice is just work on getting a good set-up and max-out efficiency so the time it takes to use Mame is cut-down. Mame is just a bit more time-consuming, that's it's only draw-back....and the only obstacle guys who run the tourneys get annoyed with. IMO, it's worth it though...I'll trade a little extra time for "perfect" gameplay any day.

And if the UMK3 brackets aren't housing more than 16 players, I doubt you will need more than 1 set-up, tbh. We've done 30+ entrants on 2 set-ups before....and how many matches can u actually stream at once also?

Also if you use Mame, you can do a 2vs2, 4-player tourney as well....all u need is adapters, converters and USB hubs for BYOC

AREZ God of War

The Crazy BeastMaster
At SB we give MK its own dedicated stream so they can run as much as possible. Ill look into some of the best mame set ups out there and go from there.
I like that idea. It should have all UMK3 matches streamed. Also, im not positive, but there is a slight difference in speed between 32K.064 and 119....might be worth looking into.

Ill look for you on psn how often are you on there?.
My gamertag is "AREZGOW"...i try to play daily if i can...mostly in evenings and sometimes all the way into the morning depending on the epicness of the fights lol. Add me up, i think i still got room left.

last time I played on mame offline I experienced serious input delay. This would be a serious problem in tourny. Also after getting into the mix recently it seems 06 and MKAK on XBL is where the majority of the network is for this game now. So should the 360 be the port of choice?

NinjaGrinder

A living, Breathing Piece of Defecating Meat
I have never experienced input delay on mame, maybe you need to check your monitor config or something, fugee.

But I agree, the 06 version puts a lot of players on disadvantage, since it doesn't have button configuration. Thank you for doing this (keeping the game alive and showing it some respect)

AREZ God of War

The Crazy BeastMaster
last time I played on mame offline I experienced serious input delay. This would be a serious problem in tourny. Also after getting into the mix recently it seems 06 and MKAK on XBL is where the majority of the network is for this game now. So should the 360 be the port of choice?
Are you using .064k, ++, or 119? I noticed certain controllers and sticks don't seem to like each other on some versions. Most of the time, from what I noticed - you just gotta plug everything in, set all the buttons, save it, then restart the PC and it should be good to go...there's something about Mame that run smoother if u set-up and restart, rather than just plug-and-play. Try it. It always fixes and weird bugs I encounter and whatnot.

UMK3 2006: cons
- built in delay (fact proven by game designer intended 4 better online play...backfired)
- no button config

pros
- supreme arcade-perfect graphics
- more experienced players (more diversity between old and new...and more players at least when it was popular)

MKAK: cons
- dropped inputs
- hitboxes seem off in certain situations
- choppy/dull graphics
- shitty sound/low stage music

pros
- smooth gameplay
- hiddens already unlocked
- button config option

MAME: cons
- sensitive to cpu(lots of lag spikes if ur shits not right)

pros
- button config
- hiddens already unlocked (juggernaut hack)
- Supreme arcade perfect graphics (Mame 119. Mainly used for offline
- different stages each round
good analysis.

I have never experienced input delay on mame.

The 06 version puts a lot of players on disadvantage, since it doesn't have button configuration.
I wonder how many of the solid players on 06 are using the 360/PS2 pad a pre-mapped stick or even a sf te. These players pull off some of the most complex moves/combos in the game.

there's something about Mame that runs smoother if u set-up and restart, rather than just plug-and-play. It always fixes weird bugs.
is this for online only or even done offline?

OFFLINE Mame UMK3: wins hands down no question. No dropped inputs, No input delay nothing. Its arcade perfect offline. The only bullshit it has is the time it takes to set up button config if everyones using different controllers. May take some time...but its worth it in the end so everyone plays with an equal fair and square chance.

The only thing beating Mame is a perfectly wired UMK3 arcade cab....idk if its versatile enough like mame umk3 still though unless someone can allow the cab to connect to virtually any controller and map any button. Until that happens, Mame still beats the cab allowing anyone to use anything...however way they choose.

This is actually in motion for Arcade and Supergun, stay tumed! The ps1 pads that were used at SBR in 2010 on Arcade had the feel of trilogy on the 1st day. After wear and tear for 3 days it got rough.