What's new

Tekken 8 Post-Release Discussion Thread

rifraf

Noob
If someone believes that then literally every new top game in every franchise is terrible and trash according to people who "actually play the game and know the history". If anything, history tells us to ignore the nonsense and play what you like since half the time the game ends up a "classic" years later that some players/top players were crying about at the time.
After T5, no Tekken managed to become a classic. The majority of Tekken fans hated T6 and never came back to the franchise. After TTT2 flopped, T7 managed to create a new breed of Tekken fans, and these people don't seem very happy with T8 for reasons I don't really understand. The game in its core is still T6/7 so if someone liked any of those I'm not sure what's stopping them from liking T8.

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
I am curious. Which characters are those?

I am not sure how long you have been playing Tekken as a franchise, but that feat is fairly impressive.

By the way, are you suggesting that getting games in rank takes a little longer now?
Haha thanks. Funny enough I feel so trash still when I see/play ranks in Gold. I've gotten these characters up above Fujin in Blue:

Leo
Jun
Alisa

Actual Fujin:

Azucena
Bryan
Asuka

So that's actually 6 not 7 I realize, then in Battle Ruler I have:

Lee
Zafina

Flame Ruler:

Ling (just started with her now and realized this patch is going to make it death lol)

If I had more time to play or didn't split multiple FGs I think I'd be better. I used to play T5 religiously, like infinite hours a day. I used to go to Chinatown Fair in NYC almost every day back when they had the "Tekken cards" that you were able to save your character data on in the arcade. At my peak I had a near 80% win rate with Wang and 70% with Steve and would only take Ls against top end tourney players. I didn't play as much Tekken from T6-TTT2-T7 though, but some of the legacy skills like movement and recognizing certain times to block/attack stuck and feel natural even after all this time. It's why I do soooo much better against OG characters like Paul/Law/Kazuya/etc than characters that came after T5 like Shaheen/Claudio/Lars/New Chars/etc. And the main things that I completely forgot are when to SS what on old characters and when to SS at all on Post-T6 characters so I suffer hard in some MUs from knowledge checks. Feel like I need to just keep playing more and learning more MU exp to break into King ranks.

For matchmaking, I think the new update is making the game tell say "oh you have these characters in Blue you must be awesome, so now you'll be facing these guys much more awesome than you" which wasn't the case before the stealth update. Trying out Ling is almost a waste of time in ranked now because the matches I'm getting aren't like before where I'm facing another random Flame Ruler, they're guys in Gold Rank going balls deep on my alt Ling. I hope they revert to the old matchmaking asap, it wasn't perfect but it punishes too hard for ranking up multiple characters and the wait times are much longer because the pool it's picking from is so much smaller (I used to get matches in 10-15 seconds always now it's a few minutes and sometimes the same person after a few matches). I'm assuming this was to not have higher rank alts stomping Garyu players or something but this isn't the way lol.

After T5, no Tekken managed to become a classic. The majority of Tekken fans hated T6 and never came back to the franchise. After TTT2 flopped, T7 managed to create a new breed of Tekken fans, and these people don't seem very happy with T8 for reasons I don't really understand. The game in its core is still T6/7 so if someone liked any of those I'm not sure what's stopping them from liking T8.
Even DURING T5 people complained. For example, I beat badly a pro player named Blood Red who was a top Lei player at the time. He refused to shake my hand and immediately after he went on to massively complain about how T5 was watered down and "catered to scrubs" etc, blasting the game. Back when Tekken Zaibatsu was up he made multiple posts right after. Many players agreed, and complained about the "broken top tier" and the "secret top tiers like Wang" etc. None of this aged well, and now we consider T5 as potentially the best game in the entire series and "the prime of Tekken". This is just one of hundreds of examples of comments that didn't age well during the T5 run.

Now translate that to games like 3rd Strike, KOF13 (#NeverForget), MvC3, etc and you get where I'm coming from.

All this to say that if the game is good/fun can't really worry about players complaining as they lose. This goes for Tekken, MK, KOF, SF, anything. These are humans. Many are sore losers. Some don't adapt well. Some get older and fall off. Many reasons, but the most important thing is to not fall into "this game sucks because this guy that places at Evo says so".

rifraf

Noob
Even DURING T5 people complained.
Coming from T4 to T5, I understand why certain players would say that. But T4 was such a different game and although I didn't like it at the time, I won't bash Namco for being brave enough to try new things. The same goes for NRS.

I remember after TTT2, everyone was anticipating the so thought inevitable reboot that never happened. On one hand there's NRS that's more than happy to create a brand new MK game with every iteration, and on the other Namco that after T6 they're adamant on keeping the base the same. I think Street fighter does it best, honestly.

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
Coming from T4 to T5, I understand why certain players would say that. But T4 was such a different game and although I didn't like it at the time, I won't bash Namco for being brave enough to try new things. The same goes for NRS.

I remember after TTT2, everyone was anticipating the so thought inevitable reboot that never happened. On one hand there's NRS that's more than happy to create a brand new MK game with every iteration, and on the other Namco that after T6 they're adamant on keeping the base the same. I think Street fighter does it best, honestly.
If you think about it, that makes it even worse in context considering now T4 is remembered as the "worst" game in the series and T5 is the "pinnacle " haha.

To NRS credit I give them props for attempting new directions each game. It's a lot easier/safer to revamp the same core than it is trying to implement new ideas. And in MK's case what if they'd made MKX the legacy game? That would have been a disaster for someone like me who despised that game and I'd likely have dropped the entire series. New ideas is always something fresh and to try out. Ideally we'd have gotten MK new gameplay attempts each game and Injustice as a legacy game to try to get a "best of both worlds" thing going, but I'm not sure what's going to happen with Inj.

Amplified$hotz

I like Tekken 8
Ninja Killa sighting, playing against Joe Crush one of of the best players in NA. Personally I think Ninja Killa, Tekken Master, and Perfect Legend are the best Tekken 8 players from the NRS community. Though they all played 3d games before playing MK, so I don’t know if they count. Joe said Ninja is one of the best Laws he’s played.

M2Dave

Zoning Master
Ling (just started with her now and realized this patch is going to make it death lol)
This issue (i.e., your secondary and tertiary characters being matched up with superior ranks) may be related to "Tekken Prowess". Mike Hollow addresses this issue in the video below. He is also one of the few content creators who criticizes Namco for the lack of death matches in rank mode, which is something that you have mentioned as well, I believe.

Edit: Also, Sajam...

Unfortunately, a plethora of content creators are too busy with sensationalism to blow up Namco about the real issues.

Joe said Ninja is one of the best Laws he’s played.
I believe it.

Sonic Fox also has a very strong Feng and Zafina, arguably one of the best in the country.

Amplified$hotz

I like Tekken 8
This issue (i.e., your secondary and tertiary characters being matched up with superior ranks) may be related to "Tekken Prowess". Mike Hollow addresses this issue in the video below. He is also one of the few content creators who criticizes Namco for the lack of death matches in rank mode, which is something that you have mentioned as well, I believe.

Edit: Also, Sajam...

Unfortunately, a plethora of content creators are too busy with sensationalism to blow up Namco about the real issues.

I believe it.

Sonic Fox also has a very strong Feng and Zafina, arguably one of the best in the country.
Honestly I’m not sold on Sonicfox in Tekken 8 yet. I think top 24 at EVO is his ceiling currently. He did beat Arslan online the other day, but I don’t think that says much.

I don’t know if I’d say his Feng is one of the best in the country.

Last edited:

M2Dave

Zoning Master
Honestly I’m not sold on Sonicfox in Tekken 8 yet. I think top 24 at EVO is his ceiling currently. He did beat Arslan online the other day, but I don’t think that says much.

I don’t know if I’d say his Feng is one of the best in the country.
Top 24 at EVO for anybody not named Arslan Ash, Atif Butt, Knee, Ulsan, CBM, etc. would be quite an achievement.

Also, beating Arslan Ash in an online set is very impressive.

Which other US Feng player could do the same?

I am no Sonic Fox defender, but these talking points are incredibly silly. LOL.

Amplified$hotz

I like Tekken 8
Top 24 at EVO for anybody not named Arslan Ash, Atif Butt, Knee, Ulsan, CBM, etc. would be quite an achievement.

Also, beating Arslan Ash in an online set is very impressive.

Which other US Feng player could do the same?

I am no Sonic Fox defender, but these talking points are incredibly silly. LOL.
I said top 24 is his ceiling not his baseline. There are probably 100-200 players on the planet that could place top 24 at EVO. Competition is stiff in tekken.

He wasn’t the only person to beat Arslan. Quite a few people did. Also arslan usually plays offline and was criticizing the connection in most of his matches. Plus it was just casuals. And feng is top 5 and he won 3-2. Arslan destroyed his zafina.

You are a defender lol. I don’t know how you can call someone the best with a character when he’s not even entering anything? Players that are way better than him are proving themselves in tournament every week, but you’ll crown him the best feng in the US just cause of who he is? He’s literally rank 100 on the Feng specific leaderboards. Not even top 10.

Again when he enters and places well consistently, I’ll give him his props. Until then I personally have no reason to think he’s that good Tekken 8.

M2Dave

Zoning Master
I said top 24 is his ceiling not his baseline. There are probably 100-200 players on the planet that could place top 24 at EVO. Competition is stiff in tekken.

He wasn’t the only person to beat Arslan. Quite a few people did. Also arslan usually plays offline and was criticizing the connection in most of his matches. Plus it was just casuals. And feng is top 5 and he won 3-2. Arslan destroyed his zafina.

You are a defender lol. I don’t know how you can call someone the best with a character when he’s not even entering anything? Players that are way better than him are proving themselves in tournament every week, but you’ll crown him the best feng in the US just cause of who he is? He’s literally rank 100 on the Feng specific leaderboards. Not even top 10.

Again when he enters and places well consistently, I’ll give him his props. Until then I personally have no reason to think he’s that good Tekken 8.
How do you consider a player whose skill ceiling is top 24 at EVO not that good at Tekken 8? LOL. Your argument is comedy.

By your own metric, Sonic Fox is superior to the vast majority of Tekken players, excluding the ones like Arslan Ash and Knee who play Tekken for a living.

I have always stated, whether in favor or in criticism of Sonic Fox, that if he takes another non-NRS fighting game seriously, he could consistently beat some of the best yet not necessarily the best of the best.

The fact that he is traveling to EVO Japan to compete in Tekken 8 (and Street Fighter 6) also ought to be admired.

Amplified$hotz

I like Tekken 8
How do you consider a player whose skill ceiling is top 24 at EVO not that good at Tekken 8? LOL. Your argument is comedy.

By your own metric, Sonic Fox is superior to the vast majority of Tekken players, excluding the ones like Arslan Ash and Knee who play Tekken for a living.

I have always stated, whether in favor or in criticism of Sonic Fox, that if he takes another non-NRS fighting game seriously, he could consistently beat some of the best yet not necessarily the best of the best.

The fact that he is traveling to EVO Japan to compete in Tekken 8 (and Street Fighter 6) also ought to be admired.
Agree to disagree

Immortal

Blind justice....
this is what i mean when i say kaz sux
While that sucks, many characters have whiff issues on walls, some are even universal like Rage arts to end a combo on weird angle wall hitting but not connecting. This should be fixed at some point. Thou to be honest, people make Kazuya work even on the highest ranks despite these issues.