What's new

Tech Some (minor?) Kung Lao Stuff that Isn't Often Discussed...

coolwhip

Noob
All right guys, I know Injustice is right around the corner and everyone (myself included) is pretty hype about the game, but I still mean to play a lot of MK. My impatience for Injustice has actually increased my MK playing time, simply to do something while waiting for the game to be released.

Anyway, I was thinking about some aspects of Kung Lao's game (and some minor tech) that is occasionally overlooked, ignored, or at least, not used frequently. Keep in mind, none of this is "new" tech, but just some potentially useful stuff that could lead to some healthy discussion:

I) Corner:

Kung Lao has a really good corner game -- that much is known, though I feel it sometimes gets underrated. Much of his corner game has been explored (ex teleport shenanigans and whatnot), but there are a couple of things I've found pretty useful that don't often get mentioned:

A) F2:

It is extremely useful on a read when you think your opponent is going to jump out. Take a small dash back and use it. If he doesn't jump and blocks high, you're at negative frames , but nothing too severe (you're at +1 on hit). If your opponent tries to jump out however, you catch him mid-air, where you can convert into a full combo (dive kick into spin).

B) 2 4:

The 24 string is fantastic in the corner. For starters, unlike everywhere else on screen, it isn't stance specific in the corner. Meaning that you can hit confirm it into a full combo (though it'd be even better if you're aware of your stance at all times and you can hit confirm it mid-screen as well. The reward is worth it).

If you're not quite close enough to your opponent to where you're worried the spin might whiff (if you're in opposite stances), then 24 low hat is great in the corner as well. The low hat leaves you at +2, making your standing 2 a whopping 5 frames and you're free to continue your pressure with pretty much whatever you want (your opponent can't dash back since he's stuck in the corner) . You can even follow it up with 2121 into ex teleport since the string builds a crap ton of meter.

24 grab IMO needs to be used more, especially in the corner. If it's blocked, the grab won't come out and you're only at -1. However, if you nail it, you can get an untechable knockdown without the just frame (setting up ex teleport if you want, where your opponent can't just lay on the ground because tele 2 will OTG into a full combo).

However, if you get the just frame (either because you used 24 grab alone or, more likely, as a combo ender), you can actually dash over your opponent, momentarily putting yourself in the corner. This sets up some mind games on wake-up. It is often confusing for the other guy, and if they don't have it scouted or don't expect it you can generally cross them over because everything happens so quickly. After 24 grab into just frame, just dash forward immediately and you'll end up on the other side. The only people I've seen do this with Kung Lao are Perfect Legend and CURBOLICOUS (I'm sure others do it, I just haven't seen it).

II) Defending cross-ups:

Obviously, because of Lao's spin, cross-ups aren't a huge issue. However, there are times when your opponent is unpredictable enough to do it in specific moments, and you won't be able to reverse your inputs in time. In this case, don't bother trying to D1. It doesn't have good reach and frankly the risk/reward isn't worth it.

A) Standing 2:

What you can do then is simply use Lao's standing 2. By now everyone knows it's one of the fastest jabs in the game, has really good reach, and works similarly to Sektor's standing 1 when defending cross-ups.

B) D3:

However, if you don't even want to risk that or simply don't have enough time, then you can always D3 to lower your hitbox. It isn't often mentioned because Lao has an easier time than almost anyone else at dealing with air-born characters, but Lao's D3 is really good when it comes to lowering his hitbox and defending cross-ups.

I find it especially handy against Johnny Cage. I've noticed more and more Cage players doing cross ups after the EX Forceball trap in order to get another one (because the JIP will jail you and you are forced to stand block). Obviously, EX Forceball does not guarantee a jump in but because opponents are conditioned to just keep blocking since Cage is guaranteed to continue his pressure (unless you armor out), the Cage player will just cross you up again. Because you're expecting another F3 or 21 pressure, you may not be able to anti air the cross up in time, and that's when your D3 will come in handy.

C) JK DK on a read:

This one is obvious, leads to the most damage, and is actually relatively risk free (even if your opponent doesn't jump, assuming that he's point blank, the JK will get blocked but the DK whiffs and you end up on the other side).

III) Anti Air:

Obviously, that's not an aspect that Lao struggles with as his spin is the best and most consistent anti air in the game, but it often comes at the expense of his standing 2.

A) Standing 2 Anti Air:

This one needs to be used more given its reach. I actually used to think it wasn't a good idea since there's no point in not spinning, but with characters like Kitana, Kabal, and Liu Kang who can cancel their jump into a fireball, it's safer to anti air with standing 2.

Most importantly, if you decide to use a bar, you can get 42%. I first saw FOREVER KING do this in a list of combo videos he posted a while ago. The combo is: 2 into ex hat, JK/DK, F3 spin 24 grab. 42% damage with the just frame. Quite easy actually.

UsedForGlue A F0xy Grampa PerfectMindGame Perfect Legend FOREVER KING @any other Lao player still interested in MK.

good stuff.

about 24 spin, its stance specific but get used to it, the range changes your footsies game completely and it is a lot easier to hitconfirm than 21 spin.

standing 2 anti air is different from spin in the way that it has a much better horizontal range than spin it catches a lot of people offguard who like to do far jumps and suddenly get anti aired by a dash up standing 2. one of the players I have recently seen using this to the max is wafflez his dash up b2/standing2 anti air is excellent.

standing 2 is especially great in the cage and sonya matchup ,they dont have any special move to alter their jumps and if youre annoying them with hats and they jump every time without thinking even a second about it they can get anti aired by a dash up standing 2 and if you use meter they can lose more than 40% off of an anti air.

coolwhip

Noob
good stuff.

about 24 spin, its stance specific but get used to it, the range changes your footsies game completely and it is a lot easier to hitconfirm than 21 spin.

standing 2 anti air is different from spin in the way that it has a much better horizontal range than spin it catches a lot of people offguard who like to do far jumps and suddenly get anti aired by a dash up standing 2. one of the players I have recently seen using this to the max is wafflez his dash up b2/standing2 anti air is excellent.
Yeah, against players who like to "safe jump" from a certain range, you can actually catch then with 2,4 overhead (sometimes you need a small dash first). It has amazing range, and even if the 2 whiffs while they're airborn, the 4 can catch them on their way down.

UsedForGlue

"Strength isn't everything"
Kungs corner game is excellent.

You have a knockdown game after 24 overhead. Kung Lao will either f2, or low hat, both with give advantage.

And also, his :ex grind hat is an easy 50%, even by grabbing, releasing the hat, then combing from 1, 1, JK DK etc.

I just found this thread but i think you're right on a lot of these points. this is a lot of the stuff that i've been working into my game. I like the idea of the plumflower dashover in the corner, i'll try that out at this next tournament this month and see if i want to keep it for VXG.

On the topic of f2, i think it's really good because a lot of people will see lao reacting for the hat and think it's a low hat (the only difference in the first part of the animation is which hand he uses, but noone really pays attention to that), and a lot of people that dont know the frame data will give you free pressure assuming it's more + on hit. I'd say the first time you use it test the opponent by dashing, and if they attack (which they should because by the time you start dashing your advantage is gone), then every time you use f2 immediately 21/24/b1f1/whatever you want your advantage on depending on the character (because if they armor though then... maaaaan, lol).
I think being +1 with space is one of the strangest feelings in the game. Maybe i should just play it like the neutral game?