What's new

Strategy Raiden General Discussion

4x4lo8o

Noob
I think we had one of these before the crash, but I don't see one now so here's a new one.

Does anyone ever use 33~shocker if you're anticipating them trying to take advantage of the hole in 334?
I saw this a while back while looking at the frame data, but didn't get a chance to mess with it much until last night when I was doing mirror matches with B W1zz. He would constantly teleport out of the gap so I just used shocker instead of 4 at the end of the string an got full combos off of him every time I thought he was going to teleport out.
The shocker is fast enough that there's no gap after the 33, so if they try to armor or do anything other than hold block they get caught in the shocker and you can combo for 30%. Obviously this is a read and you'll get full combo punished if it's a bad one and they block the shocker, but it seems like it would contribute to the mind game and keeping them from trying shit during your strings especially since this allows you to punish any attempt at moving during that gap - as opposed to 33~tele which in some cases doesn't get you anything more than a block string or wasting a bar of their meter. There's probably still times when cancelling into a teleport is better when you read an armor attempt, especially since it's safer, and I'm not sure if it would work if they're crouch blocking before they try to armor but if your opponent's thinking about interrupting your string it almost creates a mix-up where they have to guess whether you're going to finish the string, teleport, or shocker

Looking at frame data it looks like it should work with b31~shocker too, but not b3~shocker. I haven't tried it at all of the b312 string though

Thoughts?

I think we one of these before the crash, but I don't see one now so here's a new one.

Does anyone ever use 33~shocker if you're anticipating them trying to take advantage of the hole in 334?
I usually do 33~Vicinity Blast instead since its a much safer option. Mostly when I have them in the corner.

4x4lo8o

Noob
33~vicinity blast has a completely different use. It has a gap still, it won't help at all if they armor

Chaosphere

The Free Meter Police
Yeah this is the most rewarding, but most risky counter to people trying blow up that gap. If they hold block, you're full combo'd.

This is my counter to those cyber sub players out there who parry every single time. =)

That being said, I've been keen on 334~teleport when I think they are going to armor.

4x4lo8o

Noob
If you know Kabal is going to flash parry through your string 33~shocker is the way to go. If you just teleport he ends up unpunished on the other side of the screen, where he starts zoning and doesn't even notice the wasted meter. I feel like there's a point where you've seen them armor through a couple times before and they have most of a full bar of meter and before they even block the jip you just know they're going to try to armor through your string, and that's the best time to use it. Do it once and they're going to think twice before armoring through your string again. Blocking that last kick and trying to take back pressure while Raiden is negative seems pretty attractive when the alternative runs the risk of eating 30%

Does ex-shocker have different timing than shocker when combo'ing? I don't mean the startup, I mean at the end when you drop them and do 334 or whatever. Looking at the frame data it looks like it must, although someone told me it doesn't. I drop ex-shocker every time. It's annoying

STB Sgt Reed

Online Warrior
B W1zZ

What is Raiden's anti cross up defense? D1? D3 just to avoid the jip? late tele?

I'd really like to be able to combo someone for crossing me up.

Any help would be appreciated. :)

4x4lo8o

Noob
I'm not B Wizz, but I'll give it a shot since I know he's got less time for TYM right now.

Raiden's got it kinda rough for aa. His standing jabs aren't particularly fast and don't have great hitboxes, his pokes don't lower his hurtbox much, and his upper cut is pretty bad for anti air.
D1, dash 1~shocker, 334, superman or some variation is probably your best meterless option. You can end with 33~vb b3~superman or 334 slight dash b3~superman to squeeze out a little more meter building/damage and you can teleport/ex-lightnings of off b3 for a set up. You can also probably replace standing 1 with f2 if that's easier, but it scales more.

If you have meter to spend I think the most consistent option for Raiden to do is ex-shocker. The timing can be a little weird, you have to reverse input it as the cross you up and you may have to practice it a few times, but once you get it it's easier to time and less likely to whiff than your other options and will catch them if they try a jumpkick.

The option I might suggest trying is dash out then b312 or superman. Doesn't net quite as much damage, but you're less likely to miss time it and eat a full combo.

I don't recommend trying to teleport out of cross-ups, it's too easy to time it wrong and end up teleporting in front of them and getting blown up and even if you do end up behind them you don't necessarily get anything out of it.

4x4lo8o

Noob
f2~vb, 334, superman works
I'm not sure if there's a way to squeeze more out of it, but that should get you close to 30%