What's new

Question New to fighting games, where to begin?

TyCarter35

Bonafide Jax scrub
I usually start out with one character only. I try to learn everything that can be learned about the character, strats, BnB's frame data. normals, special properties etc. learning the MU's is the next step and that works if u play against good players. Learning how other characters work and their typical strategies from watching high level play helps and then u can try and figure out what ur character can do to deal with it. usually each character will hv an answer to specific stuff. it's just a matter of what it is. (yes even Jax has answers against GM in the corner it's just not a great option) once u know that. u can only get better by playing more and more. that's when u can only keep improving from learning from ur own mistakes

Vogen

Noob
Thank you for the feedback everyone!

I decided to stick with mystic ermac and I am slowly but surely learning everything I can. It's tough when I get stuck in a corner and can't find a way out. I try teleporting but they anticipate with a block. I gotta figure out which ability has armor. A post on here for armor says his tkp has armor. Not sure what tkp is :-/

Lastly, online play is tough! And I get so edgy while playing online. My movements get erratic and I can't land my combos super well because I am so jittery and high strung and the pressure is so high! They can be so relentless and I get so upset during losses. I try to learn what I can from my losses but man it is intense.

Does this stress go away over time? Also is this a good way to learn other characters is just stick with ermac and keep playing?

Youphemism

Gunslinger since pre patch (sh/out to The Farmer)
Thank you for the feedback everyone!

I decided to stick with mystic ermac and I am slowly but surely learning everything I can. It's tough when I get stuck in a corner and can't find a way out. I try teleporting but they anticipate with a block. I gotta figure out which ability has armor. A post on here for armor says his tkp has armor. Not sure what tkp is :-/

Lastly, online play is tough! And I get so edgy while playing online. My movements get erratic and I can't land my combos super well because I am so jittery and high strung and the pressure is so high! They can be so relentless and I get so upset during losses. I try to learn what I can from my losses but man it is intense.

Does this stress go away over time? Also is this a good way to learn other characters is just stick with ermac and keep playing?
With Mystic your go-to armour move is ex push (ex BF2). It puts them full screen, gives you health back and drains their meter on hit and is safe on block.

Online can be tough, especially with the lag. The stress probably comes from unfamiliarity so just make sure you've practiced your combos in the lab and can do them consistently and that you know what moves to use when. Online doesn't mean too much so don't worry about losing online at first, it happens. Just keep working at it until you feel yourself getting more consistent :)