What's new

NEW Interview w/ Ed Boon

dreemernj

Ambassador
So much talk about fatalities. No talk about whether or not they want gameplay that makes fans of actually playing fighting games happy. I just want them to say whether or not they care about fans of deep fighters or if this is just going to be more of the same crap.

Yeah, that's truth actually. He got pretty preachy about us thinking about no fatalities..

Well shit. that's what we figure with a lame T rating =[

I'll agree as well, it's messed up that he believes that Fatalities are all we ever think about.
I know MK was known for that, but in today's world, gameplay matters more than fatalities, plus as the game went along (after MKII) fatalities began to suck, and then in the end we got KAF. So I wonder, why preach to us about fatalities if you weren't even trying to give us good ones in MKA, or ones that could have been just as good as the ones in MKII in MK3? He picked a good time to preach because fatalities don't even matter anymore, and like Dreemer said, there is not a single word about how the gameplay will benefit fans of the fighting genre something good to play, to say the least, casually.
As far as I guess, everyone might have a MKDA Quan Chi fatality. It's as squeeky clean as it gets.

Like I said...............I'm feeling a little bit better........................

dubson

Noob
Yeah, just keep in mind "making the gameplay better" is relative. This is the same guy that was VERY excited to announce MKA, and that that was superior gameplay.

I'll stick to my original thought that Ed Boon accidentally made MK1-UMK3 good games on his way to making what he really wanted to make.
QFT

Tim Static

Adminerator
Yeah, just keep in mind "making the gameplay better" is relative. This is the same guy that was VERY excited to announce MKA, and that that was superior gameplay.

I'll stick to my original thought that Ed Boon accidentally made MK1-UMK3 good games on his way to making what he really wanted to make.

I think someone should limit him to what he can do, because with todays technology it gives him the option of thinking about the gameplan too much and being able to store everything that he wants to be in the game.

Back in the day he was limited to a certain amount of storage for graphics, which made him focus more on coding the game. Even though sprites in MK are a huge part of how to weigh juggles and combos(shang sprite v jax sprite), they shouldn't be dwelled upon as much as he is.

I am with a lot of you on the fact that I really think this will be a fun 'game' to play but I just don't want it to be an official Mortal Kombat fighter. It makes no sense.
x2

I think someone should limit him to what he can do, because with todays technology it gives him the option of thinking about the gameplan too much and being able to store everything that he wants to be in the game.

Back in the day he was limited to a certain amount of storage for graphics, which made him focus more on coding the game. Even though sprites in MK are a huge part of how to weigh juggles and combos(shang sprite v jax sprite), they shouldn't be dwelled upon as much as he is.

I am with a lot of you on the fact that I really think this will be a fun 'game' to play but I just don't want it to be an official Mortal Kombat fighter. It makes no sense.
3x....AGGRESSOR.

John Tobias hit the road at a good time...Im not saying this game is goona suck because it doesn't look like some gay japanimation cartoon for kiddies game crap...We should be greatful that cartoony CAPCOM didnt get their hands on it....Should have been Digitized!! i.e. MK or Pit Fighter. Seems like technology and game mechanics and programing have hit a brick wall.

Tim Static

Adminerator
John Tobias hit the road at a good time...Im not saying this game is goona suck because it doesn't look like some gay japanimation cartoon for kiddies game crap...We should be greatful that cartoony CAPCOM didnt get their hands on it....Should have been Digitized!! i.e. MK or Pit Fighter. Seems like technology and game mechanics and programing have hit a brick wall.
Are you serious? DC vs Capcom would be a hundred times better than anything Ed could have done, 2-D or 3-D or whatever.

But cartoony? I mean, we talking about COMIC BOOK characters. They should have a more "cartoony" look.

Houzi

Noob
ok, that exclamation mark made me think that this interview was going to have Ed Boon realize that his fans wanna have more 2-D MK's. But I was wrong and read that whole damn thing for nothing. :(