What's new

New DC Comics Forum!

STORMS

Co-founder
Founder
Premium Supporter
Inspired by discussions on the Dinozords Friday night podcast, this forum is for the comic book fans and readers and to educate those who may be unfamiliar with the DC Universe.

Enjoy.

If you ask me STORMS, you are better off just making a subforum dedicated to all comics. I say this because by having a DC Comics sub forum, you are going to make it look like there is a slight bias for that company in this site over others. Just how I look at it though since I read lots of stuff from different imprints.

STORMS

Co-founder
Founder
Premium Supporter
If you ask me STORMS, you are better off just making a subforum dedicated to all comics. I say this because by having a DC Comics sub forum, you are going to make it look like there is a slight bias for that company in this site over others. Just how I look at it though since I read lots of stuff from different imprints.
Be that as it may... I think we should at least let this ride for a small bit of time. While the Injustice forum fills up with game-related discussion... what about the DC Comic book readers? Call it a "Welcome" strategy.

STORMS

Co-founder
Founder
Premium Supporter
JaeRoar define to me/us what exactly the new "52" is or means exactly? I've been hearing a lot about it lately..

JaeRoar

Noob
JaeRoar define to me/us what exactly the new "52" is or means exactly? I've been hearing a lot about it lately..
The New 52 is a 2011 revamp and relaunch by DC Comics
Justice League was the first book of the relaunch, with the first issue released on August 31, 2011. Geoff Johns and Dan DiDio revealed that the first story arc takes place five years prior to the present, during the dawn of superheroes, and details the first meeting of the Justice League members and the formation of the team.

Reedoms

Noob
DC wanted to revamp their titles so they reset the numbering and restarted everyone back to day one. You don't need any backstory for people other than knowing who they are. If you haven't read any comics before, now would be a great jumping point since you can just read straight from number 1 to current.
The 52 thing is just how many books they started out with from this and now it represents how many they want out at all times. 4 books get canceled? 4 will replace them.

Anyone wanting to get into DC comics should start with flashpoint, as it's the spark that starts the New 52. It's also a great read.

New 52 is basically one big retcon. Some superheroes are going back to day one (supergirl, superboy, teen titans), some are changed a little bit (amanda waller is now skinny, barry allen and superman aren't married anymore) and others haven't changed at all except they're younger (everything batman related).