What's new

Strategy My new alt is a god!

Runiix

the only verdict is vengeance; a vendetta
Today ive decided to make the Thunder God my alt character.
I main Sub - and besides from making up some of the stuff the Sub is missing, Raiden is alot of fun to play.
Basically this thread i just wanna ask if anyone got some key advise or any tips when playing Raiden?
What MUST i do/dont?

Im just practising combos atm.
Im sticking to: JiP, b312, Electrocute, 334, torpedo. 38%
Pretty solid combo, and when i have been in practice abit more it seems like a combo thats 100% sure everytime as long as u get in the JiP.
I have just looked over the Kombo thread and been in practice for an hour or 2 - i like that there are so many to choose from. But all the: Electrocute, 1 into vic blast isnt for my. i rather wanna stay with this ^

Some questions i have for you guys, and please do speak more opinions if u got some gold for me:

Vic blast is mostly for AA and corner combo?

Raiden doesnt seem like a "keep-away fighter" course of the horrible projectile, unless he can bait a projectile out of the opponent and get in a teleport into a combo?

What type (rushdown, zoner etc) is Raiden? Just out of curiosity. i know it doesnt matter much.

Who is the best Raiden in the world? (i love to watch tournaments on youtube)

Why do u play thunder god main?

What is the general stragedy for Raiden? (sorry if i missed a thread)

And for combos:

The Kombo guide, is really big. and normally i use like 2/3 combos for each character i play - i cant remember 100 different combos like vonvitti.

Do you guys have 3 most important bnb combos for every situation, similar to the one im using now. Not with the "1, vic blast" on midscreen. (im guessing vic blast is needed in corner)

2/3 midscreen/corner/AA/X-ray corner & mid combos. just the normal 8-12 hits 30-45%

Im really sorry if u find some of this content abit stupid, but i have only been a MK player for a couple months, and i know very little about Raiden.
Hope u guys can help me out!
:D

Axel_Redd

Vampire Jesus....he wants YOUR blood now!!
if your gonna use Raiden, then u really need to get familiar with f24. Especially in the reptile mu, because thats pretty much the only string you should be using on him. Anything else can be interrupted by a dash, same for kung lao. And don't get me started on CZS's parry especially so since raiden has no low hitting combos aside from 22b4.

Wildabeast

The Bat in the Hat
Raiden is not a rush down character nor is he a zonner, Raiden is all about footsies and whiff punishing. His strings are far too slow for him to rush down so you have to force your opponent to do something stupid and then punish them for it. Once you've got the lead its all about playing lame.

The best Raiden player in the world right now is B W1zZ

Vicinity Blast has a few different uses. When at a distance some people like to just whiff one in order to build meter. You should also occasionally cancel you're block strings into it in order to keep it safe, with the up side that if it hits it gives hella hit advantage. Don't do it too often though as it hits high meaning its duckable and you'll get blow up for doing it. Its not fast enough to be used as a real anti air.

I use Raiden as an alt because he's good against a few low hit box characters that give Kung Lao some trouble (Kitana for example) and I like his thinking mans style.

Mid screen combos:
B312, Shocker, 334, B3 ~ Superman (37%)

F24, Superman (22% I think)

Jump in combos:
JiP, 334~teleport, F2~Shocker, 334, Superman (40%)

JiP, B2F1~ Ex Shocker, F2~VB, dash, 334, Superman (39%)

DJK, Superman (I forget how much this does)

Anti-air combos:
1~Vb, dash, 3~Shocker, B31~Superman (27%)

Ex Shocker, F2~VB, Dash, 334, Super Man (30% I think)

Corner Combos:
B312, 4, 334, 33-Shocker, F23~ Superman (41%)

JiP, 334 ~ VB, 4, 334, 33 ~ Shocker, F23 ~ Superman (46%)

F24, D1 ~ Shocker, 334, 33 ~ Superman (41% I believe)

Axel_Redd

what about PL? doesnt he still play Raiden?

also, f23~VB is really good in the corner and a good way to build meter if u need it. just don't use it on reptile. as far as i know he's the only character that this string cancelled into VB will wiff on in standing block. It'll hit everyone else tho.

Another good thing to do is if u get them in the corner is to plant them with a 334 at the end of your combo and then do EX lighting. I guess its a sort of reset although i don't think it actually qualifies as one. i think it'd be more correct to call it an Oki but anyways its quite useful if u have the meter to spare.

Wildabeast

The Bat in the Hat
what about PL? doesnt he still play Raiden?

also, f23~VB is really good in the corner and a good way to build meter if u need it. just don't use it on reptile. as far as i know he's the only character that this string cancelled into VB will wiff on in standing block. It'll hit everyone else tho.

Another good thing to do is if u get them in the corner is to plant them with a 334 at the end of your combo and then do EX lighting. I guess its a sort of reset although i don't think it actually qualifies as one. i think it'd be more correct to call it an Oki but anyways its quite useful if u have the meter to spare.
PLs Raiden is a utility character, he only plays him to deal with Kitana and Mileena. B W1zZ's Raiden is far more complete.

As far as the Ex Lightning thing it will work sometimes but remember its a gimmick, your opponent can still do a wake up attack and blow you up for it.

Axel_Redd

they won't have enough time if u plant them tho right? u can just block if u think they'll wake up.

Also i don't see enuff players use the f23~VB blast, it hits everytime on all characters on standing block except for reptile. i don't see a reason not to use it.

Wildabeast

The Bat in the Hat
they won't have enough time if u plant them tho right? u can just block if u think they'll wake up.

Also i don't see enuff players use the f23~VB blast, it hits everytime on all characters on standing block except for reptile. i don't see a reason not to use it.
Maybe not if you plant them but that requires you to do much less damaging combos if I remember correctly. Even so with Raiden its better to do your damage and play lame than to try any offensive setups. Raidens offense is terrible and going for anything like that is just giving the opponent a chance to get the life lead back.

Axel_Redd

actually no its not that much less damaging. pretty much instead of finishing with a 33 superman, u finish the string and plant. u dont lose that much damage at all. 334 plants after u do it enough times.

and as for f23~VB, u can pressure in the corner with it. And mid screen u can use it in between footsies to build meter and possibly a teleport mixup instead of the VB if they think its comming.

Wildabeast

The Bat in the Hat
actually no its not that much less damaging. pretty much instead of finishing with a 33 superman, u finish the string and plant. u dont lose that much damage at all. 334 plants after u do it enough times.

and as for f23~VB, u can pressure in the corner with it. And mid screen u can use it in between footsies to build meter and possibly a teleport mixup instead of the VB if they think its comming.
Which combo are you talking about because I just tryed doing that off the standard 334 combo and the last hit of the 334 thats supposed to plant them whiffs. And by the way yes they can do a wake up attack even if you plant them, the second Lightning bolt travels pretty damn slow.

Axel_Redd

thats why you block, if they do wake up they'lll get hit by the slow ball and u can knock em down again if u choose, if they just block and it hits them, they are frame trapped and u can proceed with another string or even a throw.. and i don't remember which combo exactly, i havent played with raiden in a while.

i used to play him back when i tried to main the whole cast...so i had him as a main for a while...lol.

Wildabeast

The Bat in the Hat
thats why you block, if they do wake up they'lll get hit by the slow ball and u can knock em down again if u choose, if they just block and it hits them, they are frame trapped and u can proceed with another string or even a throw.. and i don't remember which combo exactly, i havent played with raiden in a while.

i used to play him back when i tried to main the whole cast...so i had him as a main for a while...lol.
Yes you can, but theres two things.

1. The only way to get this set up that I see is doing a combo of three 334s in a row, this does significantly less damage than the standard one (36% off a jump in, 10% percent less than the standard combo)

2. What if they just stay on the ground? Than you're burning a bar and doing 10% less damage and you don't even get the block advantage.

Axel_Redd

well if they're playing dead you should be able to spot it fairly quickly so then u can just d3 and go from there.

Wildabeast

The Bat in the Hat
well if they're playing dead you should be able to spot it fairly quickly so then u can just d3 and go from there.
No because they'll be stuck in the splatter animation for a while before you can tell they're playing dead. Just d3 and then go from there? Why not just take your guaranteed damage and turtle (what Raiden really excels at in the first place) instead of taking all these needless risks?

Axel_Redd

i just found a 43% in the corner with a splatter at the end. Jip 334~VB, 334~Shocker, 334 ex-lightning.

Wildabeast

The Bat in the Hat
i just found a 43% in the corner with a splatter at the end. Jip 334~VB, 334~Shocker, 334 ex-lightning.
Still doesn't address the other holes in the setup, Im not saying it won't work once in a while Im just saying its not something you should rely on because it's still a gimmick.