What's new

Strategy - Sonya Blade Improvement

Hey guys, I've decided to main Sonya now as she's super strong and fun to use in this game (plus she has a badass pink costume...).
I've already got her good enough to beat some strong players like Zyphox but I feel like I subconsciously do things that probably hinder my gameplay. Does any great Sonya mains or just anyone with a good eye, have tips on how I could be more effective with her?
Above is a set yesterday with TheGabStandard. It's 15 mins long so just watch however much you want aha.
Thanks guys.

exflyingbooty

This dream has a sad ending
i'd just say tk dive kick more since that's godly and crushes lows so fast
Also maybe try doing an ender for better okizemi options? and if you parry a wake up attack it becomes really scary for your opponent

yep, that's it

HugeMcBigLarge

Retirement my ass
You're playing really well, so major kudos. A few things.. you have a few 'online tier' habits... throwing out armor randomly on like 50% of wake ups or in the neutral, performing a string off of blocked pokes (which will lose off-line), dive kicking immediately off jumps (which definitely works online, but offline will get blown up for 30%+!) and you can get another 2-3% off the knock ups by adding another 21 or 12 after the MS 4 knock ups and running to finish your string.

Outside of those major things you only parried twice (both of which i think were input errors ~10:30 and ~11:40) against Mileena who only has HIGH starters. You can easily stuff everything she did in the neutral into 12% or if you feel like spending a bar 35-42% midscreen. Something to utilize more.

Again, totally understand playing online is a different game than offline, just want to point out the bad tendencies that may be developing w/o an offline scene.

Major things that you might need to look at improving for your gameplay: Your offense is SOLID; close to max dmg output on every catch, staying on top of them, preventing them from launching significant offense by applying a lot of pressure; all of it looks solid. DON'T double poke, do things off of blocked pokes, try to abuse their lack of your frame data, etc. I know it's hard to do online because you can abuse those kinds of things, but those are the habits that will lose you matches vs. good players in tournie/offline matches.

Dedlock

Noob
lol, whenever I fight a mileena ( which is quite often) I always pick her classic alternate colour (you want pink, I'll give you pink)

but great Sonya, I even learnt a couple of things I love how you used the ex leg grab as an anti air, I've never done that before. I wonder if it'll take care of thise pesky NJPers.

You play great, I noticed the following

after landing a successful dive kick, you did a D3, which resulted in the opponent blocking the following B3,3,2,, thats a free combo gone so avoid that.

your placement and movement is tops, so there is nothing to add there.

sometimes parrying mixes things up and scares your opponent.

never ring toss against a Mileena!

always punish blocked tele kicks, even if you dont combo atleast throw them for some 12% damage.

but overall great Sonya!

I'd say use f2, b1 a bit more when at mid range, especially if the walking-back-and-forth-footsies-mode is engaged. The knockdown is golden for regaining pressure.

edit: running in also works of course, or b1 if close enough, kinda MU dependent. I always use it though. Also, when you were in the corner and got her off a b1, you should've ran under and went 2,1, u4 to gain corner pressure instead of carrying into midscreen. This comes naturally once you've incorporated the run into her bnb though. You got a good foundation!

Justice

Noob
The only thing I can add is work on run cancels. I saw a number of MS3 opportunities wasted. Other than that, really solid play :)

213 tick throws are great if they are blocking the string. You can insert the military stance 1 between any it. Also ending combos with 213 ms 1 will cause the to quick stand. It works great miscreantn, but really shines in the corner for throwing off wakeup. I main demo but your Co is looking good!