What's new

How do you time shocker reliably?

My hugest execution problem with raiden is timing when to follow up shocker, I'm to early or to late a lot. I've tried counting, watching the animation, listening to the sound.

WaweR

Noob
I guess you have to 'feel it' ; (

The more you play the easier it will become.
Still damn hard for me ;p

B W1zZ

Noob
My hugest execution problem with raiden is timing when to follow up shocker, I'm to early or to late a lot. I've tried counting, watching the animation, listening to the sound.
It would help if you listed a specific combo that you're having trouble with.

If you're trying to :l+:fk:fp:bp, :r:r shocker, try doing the shocker before the dash animation completes.

the problem isnt b312 ff shocker, but once I am holding him timing the 334 when he drops. I have started using b312 dash shocker b312 dive instead of 334 because b312 is more forgiving if your a little late after you drop him. The sound effect has like 2 different ones, but it sorta works to listen "wagh wagh wagh" then dial... hmm. I used to just skip it and b312 dash 334 dive but I need to maximize my damage if I wanna start winning more.

Also, timing 334 teleport shocker is nuts after the teleport nerf.

B W1zZ

Noob
the problem isnt b312 ff shocker, but once I am holding him timing the 334 when he drops. I have started using b312 dash shocker b312 dive instead of 334 because b312 is more forgiving if your a little late after you drop him. The sound effect has like 2 different ones, but it sorta works to listen "wagh wagh wagh" then dial... hmm. I used to just skip it and b312 dash 334 dive but I need to maximize my damage if I wanna start winning more.

Also, timing 334 teleport shocker is nuts after the teleport nerf.
The timing may be different depending on what kind of TV you are playing on. If you are on a HDTV you might have to time it right before the shocker animation completes. If you're on a CRT or lagless monitor you time it right as the shocker animation completes. Experiment, try timing the first 3 of 334 just before or right towards the end of the shocker animation. Also instead of attempting 334 try doing :r+:bp:d:l+:bp into either a :superman: or :l+:fk:superman:

:l+:fk:fp:bp, :r:r, :d:r+:bp, :r+:bp:d:l+:bp, :l+:fk :superman:
:l+:fk:fp:bp :r:r, :d:r+:bp, :fk:fk:bk, :superman:

You can't link shocker after :fk:fk:bk:d:u anymore by itself. You should do either :r+:bp:d:r+:bp or alternatively :d+:fk:d:r+:bp if you are playing online. You could also do :fp:d:r+:bp, but the timing is strict on the :fp

K thanks, gunna play with all that in training mode now. Couple hours till tourney time and I have a couple more ideas that I'm going to try out.

Is EX shocker a reliable way to catch people crossing over or should I stick to catching it with jumpback kick superman. (how do you make the superman icon thats awesome)

When punishing people that get popped up (my bro mains Mileena) is it maybe better to b312 shocker 33~superman to get em in the corner instead of smashing them into the ground with 334, I'll test out the damage difference. maybe toss in a b2 VB after shocker to see if that adds some damage.

When crossing over people with low hitboxes am I fast enough to see they are ducking and kick instead of go for punch, I'll have to test that online I guess.

Time to hit training mode then head to tournament, if anyone has some super rad raiden tech that is lesser known feel free to lemme know :) I heard we might be streaming the matches, I'll link if we do.

Also, I have 121 shock f2 VB dash 334 dive committed to memory pretty well now, is it fast enough to interrupt a rushdown between strings?

B W1zZ

Noob
Also, I have 121 shock f2 VB dash 334 dive committed to memory pretty well now, is it fast enough to interrupt a rushdown between strings?
I think it's character specific, like I wouldn't attempt to interrupt cages rushdown with it :)en shocker is more successful) but 121 is best used as a fast punisher...also say you do a 33 or B31 vicinity blast and the blast whiffs or is blocked...you can throw out a 121 if you think they will try to punish and most of the time it beats combo attempts if your fast enough. The startup on 121 is 9 frames and has a fast recovery, making it his fastest string. The only thing faster is his D1 and D3, which have 6 and 7 frame startups respectively. Overall your best option for interrupting in between strings is D1 or :en shocker.

Wildabeast

The Bat in the Hat
If you're having trouble linking Shocker after B3,2,1 you can do a 2, shocker instead. Linking after shocker can be tough offline let alone online, sometimes I don't just don't even bother.

B W1zZ

Noob
If you're having trouble linking Shocker after B3,2,1 you can do a 2, shocker instead. Linking after shocker can be tough offline let alone online, sometimes I don't just don't even bother.
IMO theres no reason any Raiden player should do anything but dash shocker after B312. I personally have never had any difficulty timing it.