What's new

FIFA Womens World Cup

chrisisnice

I'm a lover, not a fighter
Australia is currently hosting the FIFA Womens World Cup at the moment. We are not a soccer nation (it's the 3rd most popular footy code), but even before the start of the tournament, Australian's have been going crazy for the Matilda's (the Australian Team). They have been breaking all time TV viewership records and stadiums have been at capacity - they have even opened a couple of non soccer stadiums to show the last two games on the bigscreen. They have been more popular than our men's team, to the point where if they win the tournament, the Prime Minister wants us to have a public holiday.

Australia has to be one of the most enthusiastic sports nations on the planet - we will watch anything, but it has been a long time since I have seen anything like this. I was wondering if the Women's World Cup is popular in other parts of the world or whether this is just another case of Australia being sports crazy?

Jynks

some heroes are born, some made, some wondrous
Watched the Aussie v France game at a packed pub recently and it was epic was like being in a stadium. People cheering and booing and dead silence during the shoot out. It was just beyond awesome.

Side note... I'm a AFL fan, and do not watch football much. The game is just too fucking tense for me. I mean you can dominate for most of the game and make one mistake and loose or draw. When you need a goal, all the build up and failure each run at the net. The game is just to intense. I mean, I watch most things.. like Tests, IPL, NRL, Rugby etc etc, but I never really watch football. Footy is my main jam. So I only watch the big world cup events really, and my takeaway is the football is just TOO FUCKING INTENSE FOR ME.

whether this is just another case of Australia being sports crazy?
I think we're just sports crazy, doesn't matter what it is we'll show up for it.

Even me, who's not a sports fan in the slightest, apart from semi-regularly watching tennis, i've watched a few of these games. Big events definitely bring out the casuals more than the regular games.

chrisisnice

I hear you about it being too tense. That shoot out... WOW - I nearly had to change the channel.

Side note... I'm a AFL fan, and do not watch football much.
AFL is my code too! Who do you go for?

I am an Essendon Bomber member and go to the footy every week haha

D

Deleted member 59910

Australia is currently hosting the FIFA Womens World Cup at the moment. We are not a soccer nation (it's the 3rd most popular footy code), but even before the start of the tournament, Australian's have been going crazy for the Matilda's (the Australian Team). They have been breaking all time TV viewership records and stadiums have been at capacity - they have even opened a couple of non soccer stadiums to show the last two games on the bigscreen. They have been more popular than our men's team, to the point where if they win the tournament, the Prime Minister wants us to have a public holiday.

Australia has to be one of the most enthusiastic sports nations on the planet - we will watch anything, but it has been a long time since I have seen anything like this. I was wondering if the Women's World Cup is popular in other parts of the world or whether this is just another case of Australia being sports crazy?

View attachment 20513
Soccer is religion here in Brazil, but believe me or not, women’s soccer is not that popular here, sadly. Male chauvinism didn’t allow the women’s soccer development. From 1941 to 1979 women were prohibited by law from playing soccer. Now, things are slowly changing. This year, the national women’s soccer team received a greater popular and financial support compared to previous editions, but sadly the result was not good on the field. We’ll be back, playing better, I hope. On the other hand, men’s soccer, as you could imagine, is VERY popular. Brazilian team gamedays are days off and all cities are painted in green and yellow. All marketing focus is around the World Cup and is common to see people literally crying after an elimination. Lol

molambo

(X ౪ X )
In Germany a lot of people act as if they care but don't show up when it comes to viewership. Completely different for the male teams.

ItsYaBoi

Noob
Hope the Lionesses win ofc, but my focus right now is on the Premier League restarting and hoping that Spurs don't shit the bed now that Sir King Harry Kane OBE has gone (though we played well against Brentford)

chrisisnice

For the record, the Matilda's vs Lionesses match is the most watched TV show in Australian history with a max viewership of over 11 million! Our population is 26 million.The next closest was Cathy Freeman winning Gold at the 2000 Olympics (one of the most iconic sporting moments here) with over 8 million.

We love our sport here lol

molambo

(X ౪ X )
For the record, the Matilda's vs Lionesses match is the most watched TV show in Australian history with a max viewership of over 11 million! Our population is 26 million.The next closest was Cathy Freeman winning Gold at the 2000 Olympics (one of the most iconic sporting moments here) with over 8 million.

We love our sport here lol
i didnt know australia had such a low population. germany has 83million and is tiny in comparison. seems you have a lot of legspace for everyone.