What's new

Balance in tournament play

Prinz

watch?v=a8PEVV6tt14
It just struck me. Interacting won't be a problem for tournament play because for you to interact with it you need to press a dedicated button, which means in tournament this button may just be disabled or banned. But the cinematics seem to have a long duration. Maybe the game will have some sort of a disabling function for them.

loogie

Noob
stage gimmicks and over the top special moves like the orbital punch from Superman could be equivalent of xray or meter use(like Boon hinted at)... its way too soon to judge whether moves are banned or not in tournament play.

shig

kool guy
Now not only do you have to think about Batman vs Superman matchups, but Batman vs Superman at X stage. Balancing this sounds really hard.

It just struck me. Interacting won't be a problem for tournament play because for you to interact with it you need to press a dedicated button, which means in tournament this button may just be disabled or banned. But the cinematics seem to have a long duration. Maybe the game will have some sort of a disabling function for them.
The cinematics aren't long they are most likely under 30 seconds. In MK9 it might not seem Ike it, but there is no fatality over 20 seconds. It's just the fact that you seen the a billion times & your slightly annoyed by them that make them so long. Also, it seems like you have to use meter to use stage transitions. If you look at when Grundy gets put through that building batman has like a white effect on his knee that can't be a normal move.

Prinz

watch?v=a8PEVV6tt14
The cinematics aren't long they are most likely under 30 seconds. In MK9 it might not seem Ike it, but there is no fatality over 20 seconds. It's just the fact that you seen the a billion times & your slightly annoyed by them that make them so long. Also, it seems like you have to use meter to use stage transitions. If you look at when Grundy gets put through that building batman has like a white effect on his knee that can't be a normal move.
Yeah, Superman has the same effect when punching him into open space, only the effect is red.

Prinz

watch?v=a8PEVV6tt14
superman's space uppercut is a super i believe.

if interacting with the stage requires meter, this might be very awesome
Boon said that the x-rays are going to be replaced with super moves like Superman's launch into space and Flash running around the world charging a punch. Who knows what's up... Waiting...

Yeah, Superman has the same effect when punching him into open space, only the effect is red.
I think everybody is overreacting about gimmicks, and you can't spell overreacting without ovary lol. NRS had tournament players in mind while making MK9 and they got great results. This time around they have tournament players in mind, and some of them testing it. I think this game is going to be great!

Spletty

Grandmaster
What if all the stage transitions and stage gimmick attacks take meter?

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk 2

Hanzer0

Wanna order chinese later?
What if all the stage transitions and stage gimmick attacks take meter?
It's been mentioned that there are 2 super meters. It would be really cool if one meter was used for stage interactions and the other for super attacks. This is a great way to balance the stages so that it doesn't turn into "who can reach x point on the stage first." I'd also be pleased if those stage transition launchers took meter rather than being proximity activated. I want to keep the walls from mk9 on the stages AND be able to choose when to send the other guy for a ride.