What's new

Video/Tutorial Advanced Raiden Tips and Strategies Video

B W1zZ

Noob
How do you combo off of F3?

You can't cancel into anything and I can't get D1, or even D3, to land before they hit the ground
You can only do it when they are high enough in the air and you hit them with it while they are in the corner, and the only thing you can do midscreen is superman them afterward for 19% (if they are high enough). It's something you will rarely get an opportunity to do in an actual match, anyways set the practice mode dummy to neutral jump and practice hitting them at the highest point you can with it, and you can follow up with these combos:

F3, Superman (19%, only midscreen combo)
F3 stand 1 shocker, 334, 33 or F23 superman (36%)
F3 stand 1 shocker, 334 xray (43%)
F3 stand 1 shocker, 334, 33 xray (44%)
F3 D1 shocker, 334, 33 or F23 superman (35%)
F3 F2 shocker, 334, 33 or F23 superman (35%)
F3 D3 shocker, 334, 33 or F23 superman (34%)

note you need to make a slight pause after the shocker to prevent crossing under the opponent during the 334

4x4lo8o

Noob
Oh, in the air... now I feel dumb for the amount of time I spent trying it off of a dummy just standing in the corner.

I use F3 accidentally a lot, either messing up a superman or just because my thumbs are clumsy. I always get blown up for it because it's so slow, I just presumed the move was terrible. It would have never occurred to me to use it on purpose

G4S Claude VonStroke

@MK_ClaudeVS on twitter
You can only do it when they are high enough in the air and you hit them with it while they are in the corner, and the only thing you can do midscreen is superman them afterward for 19% (if they are high enough). It's something you will rarely get an opportunity to do in an actual match, anyways set the practice mode dummy to neutral jump and practice hitting them at the highest point you can with it, and you can follow up with these combos:

F3, Superman (19%, only midscreen combo)
F3 stand 1 shocker, 334, 33 or F23 superman (36%)
F3 stand 1 shocker, 334 xray (43%)
F3 stand 1 shocker, 334, 33 xray (44%)
F3 D1 shocker, 334, 33 or F23 superman (35%)
F3 F2 shocker, 334, 33 or F23 superman (35%)
F3 D3 shocker, 334, 33 or F23 superman (34%)

note you need to make a slight pause after the shocker to prevent crossing under the opponent during the 334
That information is ridiculous. Never knew that lol. Awesome stuff.

4x4lo8o

Noob
That F3, superman from midscreen is ridiculous. They have to be at just the right height in the air and you have to be standing at just the right distance away. There's no way that ever happens intentionally. Have you ever used that in a match?

The corners combos are good though. Not that hard to pull of as long as you hit them high enough. Probably going to be used so rarely that if I do ever land an AA F3 in the corner that I won't react fast enough to combo anyway, but it's good to know just in case

Albo

Noob
A viable strategy would be using mixing these strings up with tele/vb and using your opponents lack of frame data knowledge to your advantage. LBRH, a lot of non raiden tournament players are unaware even at this point in the games life that 1212, 22, f23, b2f1 are practically safe when cancelled into tele. A lot of characters optimal punishes for tele are unsafe so when your mindfucking them with all these mixups, they going to attempt to punish at points with unsafe options. You can mix these strings up with vicinity blast for pressure and more mixups, throws, pokes as well as being able to hitconfirm them into shocker/ ex shocker for 30%+ damage (121, f23 and 22 also leave raiden a 0 on block). Mixing them up well will make you mush more unpredictable and harder to read.

Most tournament players just assume raiden's only solid strings are 334 and b312 or don't know his cancel advantage off his other strings (Even though Chaosphere has done all the work for them in his handy charts) because very little raiden players they play against utilise all his strings properly. 1212 i've always considered to be one of his best strings for many reasons that have been mentioned and each other string has their advantages too.

TakeAChance

TYM White Knight
Great video claude! This will help out my main for the week lol.

So, anyone notice how god like raidens 2 is for an anti air? It hits over his head and has an extremely vertical hitbox. I was using one until last night when I started hitting people jumping over me with 2. His d1 has a really good vertical hitbox on it as well. Now to just get optimal followups.

Chaosphere

The Free Meter Police

So, anyone notice how god like raidens 2 is for an anti air? It hits over his head and has an extremely vertical hitbox. I was using one until last night when I started hitting people jumping over me with 2. His d1 has a really good vertical hitbox on it as well. Now to just get optimal followups.
I dunno... I tried using 2 for awhile for anti-air and it was too slow for me. I like 1 because it's 9 frames and I beat jump kicks with it all the time. You can basically hold block and wait for them to jump at you and still get the anti-air off. It's nice.

G4S Claude VonStroke

@MK_ClaudeVS on twitter

Thanks man. I've never tried it with 2. I'll give it a shot.

B W1zZ

Noob
Stand 1 anti air is the better go to one in my opinion, works best when opponents are jumping at you because it reaches out further, however if timed right stand 2 can be good on crossups because of it's collision region but it's 3 frames slower....also D1 VB or D1 into dash 1 shocker can be good as well. En shocker is great on jump in punches/kicks, and crossups as well.