What's new

General/Other - Goro XL Goro General Discussion Thread

Alright RyRy

Florida Kombat
Pretty much what you said, Goro's ok but competitively he's just not worth playing. S tiers like Alien, Mileena, D'vorah, etc make him trivial and he just needs to work too hard to win.

And for the record I don't agree with Reo putting Tigrar in A tier. He's not on par with some of the other characters listed there. Really don't know what he was thinking. I've seen Reo's Goro.....it's mediocre at best.

I agree with both of you. I believe Goro is a B Tier character. The 1 and only true thing he is missing is a reliable whiff punish. There is so many times throughout MKX where someone has whiffed a move and I try to get a F3 in to punish and they end up blocking it. F3 is by far Goros best mid and it is on the slower end of all advancing mids in the game at 16 frames, it's not even a true mid (gets low profiled all of the time) And I would say the worst projectile in the game belongs to Goro aswell. Goro has alot of upside to him, but the downside is just too steep.

What I would say to someone who wanted to learn Goro, I would honestly tell them to play Jason instead. Same idea of a character, just has more tools.

I don't want Goro to get over buffed in the next patch, imo he only needs a few things.

Universal
  • F3 or F2 sped up to 13 frames
  • F4 to crush lows
  • B1 to be a true mid
  • Decide which side to get off on EX Telestomp (Luxury buff)
  • Damage on OTG Set up involving lowered if the set up is escape-able
  • Make the projectile usable in 2 of 3 variations (Faster start up, or a mid)
  • DBF+3 has more hit advantage or opponent doesn't get thrown as far.
Dragon Fangs
  • Fix bug where hitbox on B1 is not consistent in the corner as the other variations
Tigrar Fury
  • Faster start up on EX Close Low Fireball (Making F3, 21, B12 true blocking strings involving EX CLFB)
  • If Universal buffs happen with F3 or F2 (read above) make BF2 +8 on block to prevent any infinites
  • Give Goro DBF+4 (new command for Full screen low fireball)
Kuatan Warrior
  • EX Ground Pound come out on whiff (Just like Tremors)
  • EX Ground Pound have less damage scaling on OTG setups. (Up to 6-8% from current 3%)
This may seem like alot, but to me this is what Goro needs imo to compete with the other characters in this game.

@Espio
@BunLantern
@Miley Cyrus
@dennycascade

what are your thoughts.

Last edited:

dennycascade

UPR_ghastem
Agree with basically all of this. Faster f2 would be the biggest buff in my opinion, that string is amazing. The only other things I want are a better hitbox on command grab so he can actually play as a grappler against crouch blocking females and either make Kuatan warrior's ex bf2 a launcher or safe on block (or both lol). KW needs a reason to be played.

Alright RyRy

Florida Kombat
Agree with basically all of this. Faster f2 would be the biggest buff in my opinion, that string is amazing. The only other things I want are a better hitbox on command grab so he can actually play as a grappler against crouch blocking females and either make Kuatan warrior's ex bf2 a launcher or safe on block (or both lol). KW needs a reason to be played.
Yes, totally forgot about the CG whiffing issues. It seems like this is the hitbox for Goros command grab.

Even the dashed area is inconsistent

dennycascade

UPR_ghastem
Yes, totally forgot about the CG whiffing issues. It seems like this is the hitbox for Goros command grab.

Even the dashed area is inconsistent
Yeah lol it's so annoying. And really instead of bringing KW's OTG damage up to 8%ish they really should just remove the scaling altogether and let him have his barely above average damage from prepatch. Thanks a lot tremor, lol.

Alright RyRy

Florida Kombat
Yeah lol it's so annoying. And really instead of bringing KW's OTG damage up to 8%ish they really should just remove the scaling altogether and let him have his barely above average damage from prepatch. Thanks a lot tremor, lol.
I don't think it was really Tremors as it was Bo Rai Cho. He has alot of OTG set ups including X-Ray. But it very well could of been tremors.

BunLantern

Long live b13 minigun
I'd like to see MB fireball hit mid on it's last hit as well. Give Tigrar a reason to use that move.

Espio

Kokomo
@EVB Alright RyRy I commented on your list in your wish list thread so I'll be brief. I love your listings and I'm very glad to see they are all well thought out and reasonable, I have no objections because the changes just make sense.

I look forward to collaborating with you on Goro in the future. It is my full intention to return to traveling again, especially if a new patch is in the works and will be making more stops to play locally too. Any tournaments planned for you in the future?

Pretty much what you said, Goro's ok but competitively he's just not worth playing. S tiers like Alien, Mileena, D'vorah, etc make him trivial and he just needs to work too hard to win.

And for the record I don't agree with Reo putting Tigrar in A tier. He's not on par with some of the other characters listed there. Really don't know what he was thinking. I've seen Reo's Goro.....it's mediocre at best.
I have no problem with A, but B+ or B is also not something I would object to either. He's in the same boat as Kitana and Lao to me right now. They're all viable, but competitively, you're in for a hard road. You can win, but it's gonna require you to be extraordinary.

You should ask REO for his reasoning, maybe he has some insight to offer. My current thought process is that I'm still not playing Goro as optimally as I can, but that he could definitely use some proper quality of life adjustments to make him more in line with the rest of the cast. The potential is there, but in general, Goro's buffs have been very modest, conservative even in my eyes.

Alright RyRy

Florida Kombat
Not sure most Goro players know about this, but I have found a EXxPW that doesn't recapture and pop up.

Not sure if this is intended or not but it is really odd.

Tweedy

Noob
3d3 and B3, why are these not considered 50/50 launchers? I'm not saying they definitely are, just curious. Obviously 3d3 doesn't lead to too much midscreen.

B3 xx EX command grab is godlike lol.

dennycascade

UPR_ghastem
3d3 and B3, why are these not considered 50/50 launchers? I'm not saying they definitely are, just curious. Obviously 3d3 doesn't lead to too much midscreen.

B3 xx EX command grab is godlike lol.
They technically are 50/50 launchers but the range is horrible on both options and they're death on whiff, so I usually only go for those off, say a jump-in. I think the scariest 50/50 for goro is his staggers/plus frames into command grab or 9 frame mid.

x-azeez

Bullet with your name on it
Make the projectile usable in 2 of 3 variations (Faster start up, or a mid)
* Fireballs has less recovery frames would help a lot .... 8-10F less recovery frames

* Also in Dragon Fangs, the last hit of DB2 ( regular spin ) doesn't send the opponent fullscreen, but keeps him near Goro ... because if the opponent knows the match-up well, he will block the 2 hits of spin and let the third hit Hit him and sends him fullscreen, which is bad for Goro.

* Tele-Stomp (( Luxury Buff )) has more hit advantage. and a bigger hitbox down his legs and reduce the size of his hurtbox while coming down.

Pterodactyl

Plus on block.
While i'm more than sure EXdb2 in DF will stay a launcher but lose armor, and Tigrar has the EXdb4 fireballs as launchers, what the hell does Kuatan have without having to burn two bars?

Unless they forgot a major change with either bf2 or ground pound, KW has become even worse somehow.

Pterodactyl

Plus on block.
Welp, I guess Kuatan's rotting corpse has been beaten yet again by the hammer of indirect-nerfs.

On the flipside, Dragon Fang's is scarier than ever. Though Tigrar is kind of ehhhh...

DF Rushdown is now even more disgusting, f3 is just silly now, f2 faster, and his projectile can actually be used for counter zoning and to keep a fullscreen presence without having to commit to tele-stomp.

Plus all of that delicious armor.

Jump attacks being more vulnerable is gonna make u1/u2 even better now as well.

Pterodactyl

Plus on block.
  • Goro - BP,FP,BK is now -2 on block (up from -5)
  • Goro - Towards+BP now has 17 startup frames (down from 22)
  • Goro - Increased the range of Towards+FK
  • Goro - removed 5 recovery frames from Away+BK
  • Goro - Shokan Bolt now has 16 startup (down from 23) and has 5 less recovery frames
  • Goro - Shokan Blast now has 21 startup (down from 27) and has 5 less recovery frames
  • Goro - Fist Flurry now does all 6 hits on block and is now -12 on block (down from -5)
  • Goro - Fist Flurry & Punch Walk now cause the same air reactions making combos more consistent
  • Goro - Shokan Slam & Krush now have 2 hits of armor
  • Goro - Fist Flurry no longer pops up the opponent but can still be enhanced
  • Goro (Kuatan Warrior) - Chest Charge now has 2 hits of armor
  • Goro (Dragon Fangs) - Piercing Fang is now +7 on block (down from +12)
  • Goro (Dragon Fangs) - Dragon Spin no longer has armor
  • Goro (Dragon Fangs) - Piercing Fang now has 2 hits of armor
  • Goro (Dragon Fangs) - Shokan Massacre now has 2 hits of armor
  • Goro (Tigrar Fury) - removed 5 recovery frames from Flame Ball
  • Goro (Tigrar Fury) - Dragon Torch now has 30 frames of armor (up from 20)
  • Goro (Tigrar Fury) - Dragon Breath is now +7 on block (down from +12)
  • Goro (Tigrar Fury) - Flame Chain has increased pushback on block, has 4 less recovery frames, and the last two projectiles now hit mid

Espio

Kokomo
Something that nobody is talking about that Paulo mentioned on the stream. When you MB punchwalk on block he stated that it was advantage. If I'm understanding that correctly then that means off of his new solid mid plus that he's a pressure character more akin to Doomsday. It would be a much more unique play style that's not too prominent and in my opinion a very great sacrifice with all buffs considered. Tigrar having two mid fireballs off of ex is premium.

Pterodactyl

Plus on block.
Something that nobody is talking about that Paulo mentioned on the stream. When you MB punchwalk on block he stated that it was advantage. If I'm understanding that correctly then that means off of his new solid mid plus that he's a pressure character more akin to Doomsday. It would be a much more unique play style that's not too prominent and in my opinion a very great sacrifice with all buffs considered. Tigrar having two mid fireballs off of ex is premium.
Which means my assumption about being being able to throw a f3 out right after to keep the pressure on was right.

Even more so now that it as increased range

Pterodactyl

Plus on block.
omg Fangs is disgusting now with the new f21, f3, and 214. I love it.

f21 especially.

F3's increased range opens up a few new mid screen corner carry combos aswell.