What's new

Question Wiffed Teleport

Lyuben

Sinestro's might!
Can one of you Smoke Experts tell me the properties of this move? I have seen many use it to gain air dominance. Jump in the air, and teleport. Then Land behind your opponent. How safe is that?

And how safe is knocking an opponent down and wiffing a teleport so you teleport right behind them? Are there ways to avoid it? I tend to do it and follow with either 3d12 or a throw.

I am really curious about the properties about this strategy.

Smoke players use it for a way to cross over the opponent and keep them off balance. Whiffed teleport punches in the air are not safe but usually catch opponents off guard enough to not be punished for it. I equate this to Kitanta's square wave move. You can punish it but it is not the easiest thing to do when you don't expect it. On some knock downs you can also whiff the teleport punch to cross the opponent up. This is completely safe as far as I know. I have never been punished by it. It also makes it tough to tech roll after knock down. Smoke has a below average dash and very slow normals, and no high low mixup strings so us Smoke players tend to have to resort to confusion to help us get some hits in. I think it is also one of the reasons that once Smoke gets rolling on you it is difficult to stop. I hope this answers your question.

Can one of you Smoke Experts tell me the properties of this move? I have seen many use it to gain air dominance. Jump in the air, and teleport. Then Land behind your opponent. How safe is that?

And how safe is knocking an opponent down and wiffing a teleport so you teleport right behind them? Are there ways to avoid it? I tend to do it and follow with either 3d12 or a throw.

whiffed air teleport can only be used as surprise or escape move. if u abuse that the opponent sees it coming it can be punished hard.

whiffed ground teleport is totally safe after an air throw, which is the only knockdown after which the opponent cant techroll. im not sure about wakeups though but i think you get a guaranteed attack (correct me if im wrong).

after any other knockdown the opponent can take the risk of a wakeup attack (input must be inverted), not sure about inverted techroll. he cannot jump out after a whiff. otherwise he can just block which is your opportunity for a combo/throw mixup which will give you the chance to whiff again on knockdown. whiff will only be fast enough for forward throw, after backwards throw teleport can be blocked. whiffing after normal knockdown can also be used to bait a wakeup attack and counter. you can always block after a whiffed teleport after knockdown.

We, Smoke players use it after a combo ended with JK > Airthrow to keep pressure.

Like: 3D12 NJP B23SmokeBomb 3D12 JK > Airthrow (Whiff teleport)

than you'll be right next to them.

D3D4 B23Smokebomb into Combo.

punish

Smoke stays a while in the air so its ofcourse not safe, expecially against kung laos spin for example. Seeing you have a subzero image, I think sub can punish it with a 2,2 maybe even 2,2 iceball but im not sure, but if 2,2 could punish it i think 2,2 ex iceball will definitely connect.

Kuai Liang

Tundra
Yeah, the air whiffed teleport is not really safe at all. I unfortunately got into the habit of using that too often and becoming predictable and got punished many times. But I think once in a while, when no one expects it is good. I'm wondering does the whiff teleport only work after jk airthrow. I'll have sometimes I do it and I land in front of the opponent. I'm curious if they are actually rolling back before I do it, so I'm landing in front of them? It works fine after the jk airthrow as far as I can remember but at other times I teleport right in front and get almost punished.

after any other knockdown the opponent can take the risk of a wakeup attack (input must be inverted), not sure about inverted techroll. he cannot jump out after a whiff. otherwise he can just block which is your opportunity for a combo/throw mixup which will give you the chance to whiff again on knockdown. whiff will only be fast enough for forward throw, after backwards throw teleport can be blocked. whiffing after normal knockdown can also be used to bait a wakeup attack and counter. you can always block after a whiffed teleport after knockdown.
what i wrote there is wrong. you can block every whiffed ground teleport by techroll and block, except after airthrow which doesnt allow a techroll. in that case you still end up with advantage but gotta watch out for wakeups.

G4S KT

Gaming4Satan Founder
what i wrote there is wrong. you can block every whiffed ground teleport by techroll and block, except after airthrow which doesnt allow a techroll. in that case you still end up with advantage but gotta watch out for wakeups.
There are others you can't block, like after f+4 and (although I haven't tested this, no one has ever caught me for it) double TP, meaning, after a connected TP.

So in the end, what advantages does a whiffed teleport at the end of a combo have over just dashing in or using smoke towards? Just reversing your opponent's wakeup inputs?

hardwire

Noob
So in the end, what advantages does a whiffed teleport at the end of a combo have over just dashing in or using smoke towards? Just reversing your opponent's wakeup inputs?
it reverses the wakeup inputs yes

and it goes full screen (our f+4 sends you full screen and smoke away/toward wont catch up.)

It gives you guaranteed position on your knocked down enemy. That way you are always going to be at X position in Y scenario, and you are able to use option A B C or D as oki pressure to try and more damage in. Smoking towards can work fine too, but it's not as versatile as whiffing a TP, so that's something that you'd want to use sparingly and if you know for sure what your spacing is gonna be when your opponent lands in relation to smoke.