What's new

Why You Lose in Fighting Games

I haven't watched. But I know why I lose when I do.

The biggest reason I lose is because I am unfamiliar with what my opponent's option are in every given situation. I was more familiar with available options in MK9 than I was in most other games, and because of that I was better at MK9 than the other fighters during that time. Lack of familiarity with options as well as the corresponding frame data and what to counter with - number 1 reason.

Second reason is trying to play too many fighters and bringing tendencies from one developer to another one when those tendencies don't translate. MK9 fundamentals are not Street Fighter Fundamentals.

Execution would be third, but that's just muscle memory and really isn't a big part of the reason people lose, at least for me.

I can think of examples of this pretty easily. I didn't know that you couldnt anti air roll bojutsu kung jin's jump in. That made me lose in a tournament. I didn't know that a quick DP was a clean punish for Makoto's dash move (whatever it's called) and my opponent just spammed it on me without getting punished for it. Plenty of other examples

tl;dr: Lack of significant matchup knowledge and flaws in tendencies learned from other games. Does it take him 53 minutes to say that? :)

Last edited:
I always just assumed it was because my opponent was better than me. Either mentally or physically.

Probably worth a look though. Thanks.
That or one spends too much time whining about 'cheap' techniques and starts begging for nerfs/buffs and or changing the source code *ducks* instead of improving at the game.

Pygmy_Potato

BF4+FF+BLK
Who are Kitana's bad match ups in this game? Just curious. I haven't seen anything remotely like MK9 Kenshi for her.

roosTakk

Chode Juggler
Summary:
  • Learn your character
  • Learn the opponent's character
  • Learn your opponent
  • Practice execution
  • Play to lose and learn now, play to win later
Bonus:
  • Git Gud reactions
Personal additions:
  • Learn the game mechanics
Thanks for summing it up dont have 53 min for this.

EDIT: tried watching anyway cuz im free....holy shit this dude is extremely long winded, get to the point man

Last edited: