What's new

Why NOT play online?

Mikemetroid

Who hired this guy, WTF?
UMK3 has trash online. I cant think of a single way to play online without it feel like utter garbage. Its not fun to play in sludge.

RyuKazuya

Jesus is my Lord and Savior!
i recently started playing umk3 offline with a friend of mine. but since my connetction has some serious issues i kinda dont have the courrage to piss off a good player with a laggy noob :/

MRIGOTBASS

UMK3 has trash online. I cant think of a single way to play online without it feel like utter garbage. Its not fun to play in sludge.
You have to actually know how to play the game OFFLINE prior to judging it ONLINE and Im not talking about knowing all the dial combos either cuhz.

UMK3 plays fine online, and word on the street is that in several weeks OG REO bka @YOMI REO will start streaming UMK3 again.

I think it would be really nice if you participated so you understand UMK3 plays fine online, and maybe you can up the game rather than telling people it plays like Sludge and discouraging them prior to even trying the game.

If you are experiencing sludgy games maybe you want to get with The WO aka @nwo after all the man actually wrote large parts of the Mame emulator we all use, I am sure he will help you get set up properly.

Mkak is pretty much garbage on psn, and I hear it's not much better on xbl. 06 xbl and Mame are excellent though in good connections.
2-3 frames of delay is most certainly not sludge. I'm sure there's more input delay on mkx and sf5

For that matter, with only 3 or so years of playing MK, and MOSTLY online with the exception of a few high level sessions with @McLOV1NS and @Drakonian PRIOR to the tournament, I played very well offline.

There have been absolute sensational players that played mostly online...who was the guy that perfected daigo?
Honestly I can't believe that this stigma STILL exists about online play being THAT much different.

I think it would be really nice if you participated so you understand UMK3 plays fine online, and maybe you can up the game rather than telling people it plays like Sludge and discouraging them prior to even trying the game.
Absolutely agree. This is an ONLINE message board, and the majority of the OG players that @Drakonian tagged in http://testyourmight.com/threads/umk3-ogs-match-videos-history.60292/ started from playing ONLINE.
While on line obviously is not a perfect representation of off-line play, it's certainly acceptable, and I think it's very unreasonable to have an ONLINE message board that fosters the idea that ONLINE play is unacceptable

Konqrr

MK11 Kabal = MK9 Kitana
I don't play for three reasons.

1. I am a reactionary player. Online directly prevents me from playing how I want and I end up just throwing out random moves in anticipation or blocking way too much. This takes all of the fun out of it.

2. I have very little free time. What little gaming I do is spent trying to prepare for tournaments in MKX and SFV. This is maybe 2 hours a week.

3. Most of the time, playing classic MK online against someone who requests to play me specifically simply ends up with them trying to make me look bad or some other childish pissing contest.

Here is the last time I played online:

Bass asked to play and if he could record. Then posts this up with nonsense in the description. Fuck you.

I'm all for playing to have fun, but this is what I always get and have for years. So until player attitudes change and this mission to put down OGs ends, I'll opt out.

BTW, I'm not the hacker.

@Konqrr I'd love to play you. No recording nonsense from me. I just love and want to play the game.

I'm all for playing to have fun, but this is what I always get and have for years. So until player attitudes change and this mission to put down OGs ends, I'll opt out.
I hope you understand this, but that has NEVER been MY mission. It's an honor to get to play with some of the true OG's

MRIGOTBASS

1. I am a reactionary player. Online directly prevents me from playing how I want and I end up just throwing out random moves in anticipation or blocking way too much. This takes all of the fun out of it.

2. I have very little free time. What little gaming I do is spent trying to prepare for tournaments in MKX and SFV. This is maybe 2 hours a week.

3. Most of the time, playing classic MK online against someone who requests to play me specifically simply ends up with them trying to make me look bad or some other childish pissing contest.

Bass asked to play and if he could record. Then posts this up with nonsense in the description. Fuck you.

BTW, I'm not the hacker.
Come on Konqrr you love my style dont front :)

In all fairness my man, you talked shit for years about how I stand in 1 place and spam HP's, How you dont understand how people lose to me ect. It was more of a Fuck You in that sense. Nothing personal, and if it bothers you I will take it down.

I completely agree with you that the TryHard shit and the Videos and fighting is 100% not needed.

Again, if it bothers you I will remove it, no issues at all.

BTW that Sheeva was looking pretty solid, you know you like my Sheeva ?? No ?

BlackJackSnack

Bags of mostly water
Yeah I would play umk3 but I don't understand the game like mk9 or mkx.
I feel your pain though I still play mk9 all the time, I prefer it over mkx

musgrave000

Cyrax on rax on rax
UMK3 is my favorite classic. I'd always be down to play online, but there's one problem. It's not on PS4. If they made MKAK playable on current gen, you bet your ass I'd be on that thing every Saturday night.

Blade4693

VIVIVI
I would if I could, but I know not of this "MAME" you speak of. All I have is MK AK on PS3. I also have UMK3 on Sega Genesis but that obviously can't play online XD

MRIGOTBASS

BTW, I'm not the hacker.
Konqrr I changed the description to:

"Day 1 Gameplay, (P1) MRIGOTBASS: vs (P2) Konqrr. The UMK3 TE (Tournament Edition) Konqrr is one of the founding members of the community and was a real treat to play him. Hopefully he will play again in the future. "

I apoligize, I took it a little too far. Your a quality player and I do not want to take anything away from your skills.

My bad.

YourMKArcadeSource

Your Source For All Things MK Arcade Related
@youramkarcadesourc, hey, I don't play online , not very good and not a lot of time, I enjoy hard CPU and have started to understand the game, but have miles to go, would u like to spar online, I use psn, if u do as well and are interested leave your I'd name for psn and we can play together
Thanks for the offer but I don't have any PS hardware and I play online exclusively via Mame.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
Personally, I just been busy with work and family issues. And been playing Dark Souls 3 almost exclusively. I'm comin back to play though. I'm not a fan of online but I'm not against playing online. I don't care if I lose, people know I'm decent, I play online for practice and fun, so should everyone. That said I usually get bodied online, I'm not really a great player anymore in general though.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
Honestly I can't believe that this stigma STILL exists about online play being THAT much different.
This is similar to another problem of online. If both players realize online is a watered down version of the real game, and play to practice and have fun, there's no issues. But when one player denies the fact that lag/delay really affects high level play or dismissed the fact that lag even exists, that creates problems.

A very popular thing that used to happen and still does honestly, was you'd have lesser known/not as respected players always wanting to play the top players. Their mission? To try as hard as possible to win then brag about beating a top player online, even if it was one game. This forced top players to use smurf accounts (hidey accnts) so they could just play the game and have fun. Then there were the other players who refused to play well known good players, which made it hard to play people, again forcing smurf accounts.

Unfortunately this STILL happens. I don't want to go full on try hard mode every time I play UMK3 outside of tournament. The game is exhausting at the highest levels, sometimes I just wanna chill and fuck around. That becomes impossible when players constantly try to prove themselves through playing you online. And this wouldn't be that big of an issue if lag/delay weren't as prevalent as they are in UMK3 online.

To be fair, even P2P on MAME isn't perfect. It's as close to offline as you can get but even in a "flawless" connection, it isn't just like offline as some claim.

All that said, I don't care anymore, lol. I just play when I can play.

Personally, I just been busy with work and family issues. And been playing Dark Souls 3 almost exclusively. I'm comin back to play though. I'm not a fan of online but I'm not against playing online. I don't care if I lose, people know I'm decent, I play online for practice and fun, so should everyone. That said I usually get bodied online, I'm not really a great player anymore in general though.
Second place at get it in Ohio, and full out ghetto mode vs drak. I wouldn't say you aren't a great player.

dubson

Noob
This is similar to another problem of online. If both players realize online is a watered down version of the real game, and play to practice and have fun, there's no issues. But when one player denies the fact that lag/delay really affects high level play or dismissed the fact that lag even exists, that creates problems.

A very popular thing that used to happen and still does honestly, was you'd have lesser known/not as respected players always wanting to play the top players. Their mission? To try as hard as possible to win then brag about beating a top player online, even if it was one game. This forced top players to use smurf accounts (hidey accnts) so they could just play the game and have fun. Then there were the other players who refused to play well known good players, which made it hard to play people, again forcing smurf accounts.

Unfortunately this STILL happens. I don't want to go full on try hard mode every time I play UMK3 outside of tournament. The game is exhausting at the highest levels, sometimes I just wanna chill and fuck around. That becomes impossible when players constantly try to prove themselves through playing you online. And this wouldn't be that big of an issue if lag/delay weren't as prevalent as they are in UMK3 online.

To be fair, even P2P on MAME isn't perfect. It's as close to offline as you can get but even in a "flawless" connection, it isn't just like offline as some claim.

All that said, I don't care anymore, lol. I just play when I can play.
Everything @Juggs said, in addition, too much ping/internet connection flexing.

Players blaming lag on other players like there is no way it could be themselves causing the lag, and feeling that they should have won when they didn't because they have a better speedtest result or lower ping. Back in the day no one ever did this, ever. They just played the game. The average connection 10 years ago wasn't even close to what it is today either. It's more common with the MAME players, but obviously the "lag blaming" happens everywhere.

Conversely, lag is a real reason obviously. I play Street Fighter V, MKX, and other fighting games offline. I have @DemoniChris and @ddy_08 close to me for offline matches so, I really don't like playing online either. Similar to what @Konqrr said it just completely changes how you have to play the game. But I will play if people ask. But if it's laggy to all hell I just don't even want to play, like anyone else.

Last edited:

Platinum Shinobi

Top Quality Ninja
I still play online. But the game is becoming more and more dead. All the good players avoid me on psn. Why_7779311 checks players met and leaves if it's me. I__AM__DRUUUUNK talks mad shit then leaves. Apparently I ruined umk3 for people (on psn that is) HughHefner also hates me.

Element_

The First Element
I've tried many times online but the lag on PSN was unbearable. Plus the majority of people i've played didn't even know there was a run button. I'd love to have fights with some of you guys however...if there is no region lock, that is.