What's new

Why is STANCE SWITCH A FEATURE!?

It allows for a greater range of motions if you aren't required to get the character back to facing the camera. So stance switch is there to allow you to do it manually.

Are there any problems that are stance specific in mkx anyway?

Doctor Rektangle

Think outside the Box
It allows for a greater range of motions if you aren't required to get the character back to facing the camera. So stance switch is there to allow you to do it manually.

Are there any problems that are stance specific in mkx anyway?
Couple things with Quan. Couple with Johnny Cage, and if I remember correctly Liu Kang has some as well.

I think it's to do with the characters string animations, I think it makes it easier for a character to end up facing the other way when there string ends, rather than having to turn the whole way back changing the animation.

Or maybe because it's to show off character design, I think it's cool

HuttonMD

ADM Riddles
When someone takes the time to write several paragraphs and someone else comes and decides to be a smart ass with /thread just because they're fishing for upvotes. Yes it was funny the first 50 times, but have some politeness
Politeness on the internet......a man can dream I guess

Check out this old thread and look at how many TYM people voted they'd rather have a stance switch than a run button

http://testyourmight.com/threads/run-macro-vs-stance-switch.51873/

The main argument against was "omg, but I worked so hard learning these super hard run cancel inputs so they have to stay now!"

Fast forward now, far into the games lifespan. Run cancels are easier than breathing for everyone. Not hard. We just have a useless stance switch buttons and need to beat our controllers like they owe us money to play Johnny Cage or D'Vorah.

Oh, but we needed to keep it as stance switch so jobbers could feel super l33t for pressing an extra two buttons to do a menial tasks.
This.

Run cancels are a key mechanic, almost every character has them, and many characters depend on them for basic combos. The only reason it's such a complex input is to create artificial difficulty. There's no need to make an action as simple as 'run forward' so difficult to perform.

Why stop there? Let's make it so that you have to doubletap up and hold block in order to jump in this game as well! That'll really seperate the scrubs from the pros!

Nobody's asking for an instant combo button. But required skill in games shouldn't come from needlessly difficult controls.

Diego de Souza Costa

***The Soul Consuming Darkness***
yup.... it's kinda stupid, cuz, they have to make the "block" button also work as the "run" button, just because of this stance changing BS..... lel

GQJ

Noob
It's kind of a familiarity thing lol, for some reason I just really dislike it when the character has their back to the screen :p
I really like it when I get to see Cassie's butt on the screen, so I am the opposite of you. But I want to keep stance switch b/c I enjoy looking at the 3d models, and no matter how minute the option is, I enjoy having the option.

I think it's to do with the characters string animations, I think it makes it easier for a character to end up facing the other way when there string ends, rather than having to turn the whole way back changing the animation.

Or maybe because it's to show off character design, I think it's cool
Sometimes I use the the end of a recovery animation to tell when I can continue with another string, but as you said, some moves automatically switch the characters stance, so it is harder to tell when the recovery animation ends, so I have stance switch for that.

Kitana's corner combo f112~df1 only hits in closed stance (when the opponents are facing the same way, right?) if it's open/one is facing foreground and the other is facing background the fan whiffs. Don't know why this game needed stance specific combos if the stages are 2d....:DOGE

E

Eldriken

Kitana's corner combo f112~df1 only hits in closed stance (when the opponents are facing the same way, right?) if it's open/one is facing foreground and the other is facing background the fan whiffs. Don't know why this game needed stance specific combos if the stages are 2d....:DOGE
I think it's an unintentional side effect of there being stances. Despite that, this kind of stupid shit needs to get fixed. >_<

Deyrax

Skarlet who ?
Well, stance specific whiffs have been present since the 3d MK era. Seems like a tradition for NRS to include it in every title.

Redux

Ex Phase
wow I had no idea about this. this is dumb as hell lol.

buyacushun

Normalize grab immunity.
I doubt it's ever going to change. NRS and the community can't be bothered to have good netcode in 2015 (nor good ports). I doubt anyone up at NRS will be bothered enough to program the game like it's 2015 (not using regular 2d hitboxes in a 2d game . . . 3 games straight).

Just accept it. Like the fact that you guessed low when your opponent went overhead and now you're eating 30%

What are you asking? >_>
My bad , I didnt know about things like this ..
..i thought it would just whiff in all stances..I only use this as a ''corner'' combo when im close to the corner not completely in the corner lol

scarsunseen

Miley Cyrax®
With FA Jacqui in the corner, 33-low rocket is stance specific. It'll hit if both characters are facing towards or away from the screen, but if they're in opposite directions, the low rocket misses. Kind of annoying. 33 is a slow mid starter and you generally don't want to use it, but I just want some consistency.