What's new

Why Invasions is inferior to The Krypt

xenogorgeous

.... they mostly come at night. Mostly.
At first I really thought Invasions would have better value to me than MK11 Krypt, but it quickly became a disapointment, and I should have noticed it considering the silence treatment Invasions mode had throughout marketing period, compared to the MK11 Krypt which was far more talked about. Somehow I feel like the developers were aware of its shortcomings.

Artistically speaking, MK11 Krypt is a lot more engaging to me because it offers a completely different mechanic and the maps have different structures altogether. It was fun because there was a sense of realism in approaching the island, specially considering it was such an iconic location that makes me curious about how it would be represented in a realist manner. Meanwhile Invasions mode kinda looks like a generic board that always features the same dimensions, but only THEMED around iconic locations. Add to that the restricted movement and the exploration part of it gets really stale, it's a shame because I really enjoy the assets they developed for it, and I'm sure a lot of effort was put into them, but they're being wasted in a mode that was not well put together mechanically.

Back when Ed Boon was saying we would see the results of a 4-year development cycle very clearly, I expected the new single player mode would be a huge part of that, but unfortunately it's not the case. In many ways Invasions mode seems cheaper, looks sloppier, and some things are actually ugly and take away from the main game experience. For example, when you look at a basic fight in MK1, it will often look excelent visually save for some VFX exceptions here and there, but in Invasions mode all the unique animations and modifiers look very cheap, which takes alway from the artistic value the game wants to convey.

I wasn't a huge fan of any unlocking mechanics in the past games, but in MK11 it was far easier to unlock the stuff you wanted to, you just had to play the character. Now there are many "fear of missing out" elements at play that we didn't have previously, like the Shrine for example, which works very similarly to gacha pull mechanics, you have a short window to put coins into it, and you're never gonna have enough coins to be sure you'll pull your favorite new skin by simply playing through Invasions mode, so there's a lot of grind involved. And when you fail to get the palette you wanted for that story mode costume you wanted, NRS will obviously include the skins available for purchase very conveniently in the premium shop.

I won't be such a bitch about how NRS is handling cosmetics in MK1 because I know other fighting games can get MUCH worse, at the end of the day we still get 3 free uniquely designed costumes for every character + a few lucky story mode costume pulls from the Shrine. I will say though... it used to be better, in MK11 every character had at least 4 unique designs that were not exclusive to FOMO mechanics.

Other than that, my only other complaints with Invasions mode would be how UX is terrible, everything is slow, there is very little visibility about exploration statistics beyond map percentage, little visibility about the rewards of nodes or towers, and little integration of the weaknesses system they put in place. It's so inconvenient to open the elemental chart and then choose a character that is better for a certain node that it's barely worth the time considering the amount of switching that needs to happen, even changing characters can be so slow lol
Damn, dude, you summarized perfectly here the overall feeling regarding the Invasion mode experience for majority of players ;)

This mode needs an urgent and critical emergency overhaul and revamp update, in order to improve it , otherwise, this will be the worst mode ever since MK9 come up, I mean, even MKX Krypt is less boring than this shithole grind party time called Invasion , so, this is truly sad, lol ! :p

Will be so fucking hilarious and funny ironic if, in 2024, MK1 , that probably will receive a huge update and a story mode expansion sometime along the year, if it loses again the GOTY, this time, for Tekken 8, due not listening the fanbase and not trying to fix stuff that is not fun anymore inside the game, hehe :laughing:

chrisisnice

I'm a lover, not a fighter
You get a Konsumable that gives you permanent resistance boosts, which can be handy. Especially for Survival encounters.
You don't even need them. For survives, just stack a character who you don't play who has the elemental resistance you need with health and get them to stand there.

I did this with Reiko and Scorpion and they took 0 damage.

Solo

Shadow Priest
Single player content for fighting games will always be stale(besides Smash). I think most people just wanna heavily customize a character. I do like invasions, but that's because I play JRPG's. If you're not into that genre, then you probably hate the grinding aspect of it. So, I understand why some people don't like it.

MK needs to add the rewards and secrets back to their single player content. I loved Challenge Tower from MK9. Grinding to get that Mileena outfit and trigger secret boss fights. I also liked the combo challenges from MKDC and getting a trophy for each character I completed.

Art Lean

Noob
Also 'member Krypt Events? If you didn't have the time or weren't informed you'd have missed a whole bunch of shit like Classic Jax Arms, That Kitana skin, Liu Kang's Traditional red and black pants+headband, Kabal stuff etc... Then you gotta wait until next time NRS announces it cuz you can't buy it yourself with Koins or money.

And the rabbit hole of how terrible the MK11 Krypt can go deeper but I don't want to get too into it.

Suffice to say you're not going to convince me Invasions is bad when literal years were spent grinding for skins/gear by having an AI slog its way through endless Towers of Time battles and hoping you got actual skins/gear instead of tower garbage.
I'm personally not disputing the horrible FOMO elements of MK11, especially the awful Krypt Events that were not even widely advertised. For the first 6 months to a year or so they were only mentioned on Ed's twitter (why would I think to ever look there?) then eventually they went onto the in-game internal Notifications page (which is where they should ALWAYS have been), then silently removed from there and BACK to Twitter. And worst of all they were tied to much-desired MK2 classic skins and gear, for just 24 hours per year, and let's be honest it's not "24 hours" for most people, the window for finding a Krypt Event was more like 6 hours from when you came home from work until you go to bed. I'm sure there's many people out there frustrated that these must-have items are still locked for them.

However as @lusca_bueno said above, it's about the gameplay from a purely mechanical concept for the MK11 Krypt that I enjoyed and miss, not the way that disgusting those FOMO events were attached to it. Exploring a classic location in third-person, seeing how it's all connected geographically, unlocking new areas, discovering secret areas, easter eggs from the 95 movie, puzzles, light platforming, finding the magical items of other characters that give you a new power to explore further, the hidden Reptile encounter etc. All those elements should have been developed and expanded upon without the cruelty of the Krypt events (or make them appear for much much longer with a bold in-game notification). In Invasions, the beautiful maps are just pointless set-dressing that offer absolutely no gameplay value whatsoever.

Apart from very bad design choices for invasions and the execution of it,the thing that also impacts how people recieved invasions is also the expectations and overhyping the mode by nrs.

They were very secretive about it and described it as the best singleplayer mode they ever did,along those lines,at the same time the community was yearning for a konquest type mode,action adventure modes.There was alot of speculation how the mk11 krypt represents a prototype of sorts that can be expanded for mk1 into a konquest type mode,people were also mentioning mksm type gameplay for the new singleplayer mode and so on,and nrs being super secretive and hyping it up like,when you see this mode your mind will be blown etc,stoked the fires of the fans.

This led to extreme dissapointment,even without the wild expectations with a mode like invasions there would be big dissapointment so yeah all in all a big mess in the end.

Hopefully something good comes out of that survey they did.

While I do miss a separate Krypt, I don't have the issue most of you do with Invasions. It really is a casual mode for the core audience, the people who mostly just want to spam buttons, do uppercuts, and use power ups (i.e. Talismans). If you're an ultra competitive player who only wants to grind match ups, do optimals, etc., the mode isn't going to be for you.

I spent 2 years on MK11 checking in every day to ensure I didn't miss anything!!! Granted I went through a very tough time in my life when that game released and it helped keep me grounded, so I may have a slightly extra sentimental attachment to that game for being there as an outlet during one of the worst times of my life
That's a fair argument, I spent a lot of time with the MK11 Krypt myself but I hold no sentimental value for it personally.
To each their own and all that.

Far as NRS Krypts go: MKX Krypt > Invasions > MK9 Krypt > MK11 Krypt

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
Krypt is half the puzzle for the bonus modes.

MK11 krypt + MK9 challenge tower would be ideal.

Challenge tower had a beginning and an end, it was finite, and it was difficult, not everyone was able to do it, so the you know whoever had the coomer Mileena skin suffered for it. Because it's not on a timer until the content disappears, you might actually play a few stages every once in a while at your own pace, so it was always fun. Challenge tower would be fun in this game, needing to use kameos and juggles to essentially solve puzzles. Mileena ball roll under stuff, Nitara floor is laval level, anything.

Invasions ideally would have exploration AND engaging gameplay but it has neither, it is SLOP. This game was sharted out at least a full year early, so who knows what invasions could have been like.

Art Lean

Noob
That's a fair argument, I spent a lot of time with the MK11 Krypt myself but I hold no sentimental value for it personally.
To each their own and all that.

Far as NRS Krypts go: MKX Krypt > Invasions > MK9 Krypt > MK11 Krypt
Sorry for any confusion, whilst I did like the concept of MK11's Krypt, I specifically meant MK11 itself got me through those times, rather than just its Krypt (but obviously found enjoyment in that mode as part of it).

Played season 1, started S2 and gave up. Really nothing to keep me to want to play.

At least the krypt in MK11 felt like a different game, puzzle adventure thing.

so can you please tell us all what is actually lovable in this mode?

regular fights with same characters over and over (only with made up names) just like in the regular towers?
moving from Point A to point C through point B over and over again?
Survive modes?
this RPG-like shit where nothing really matters and auto-assignment of the points solves everything?
"Boss fights" that are actually still the same fights but opponent has armor?
Grinding the koins that are to be spent on 1) talismans (99% useless) 2) upgrade to talismans (never did it = never needed it) 3) konsumables that are forgettable?
Rewards = Skins that are themed recolors of the generic ones (and not fitting certian characters like at all)?
Titan fights?
Grinding character mastery that is repetitive, boring and slow af?
Ambushes and Secret fights that are actually same fights against the same AI opponnents over and over?

I really, REALLY would like to know :)
Hey I'll offer up what I like from Invasions

-I like that I can be done with it. I can finish the Mesas and there's no need to keep checking in daily to see if a new tower opened that will drip feed me a piece of gear or a skin. I want to finish Invasions the first 2-3 days, Get paid in silver koins, Buy everything in the seasonal store and be free to do whatever I want for the rest of the month that season is up. Maybe I want to play Kombat League, Maybe I'll play Kasuals or maybe I'll play a different game entirely but I am free to not care about the Season. You may see that as a bad thing but for me It's a great thing, I don't have to waste time the way I had to in 11.

-I like Survive, It's a fun little bullet hell mode that you can take seriously if you want OR max out someone's health and blow past it. Not AMAZING not terrible it's harmless silliness really.

-The RPG and assignment of points that solves things is bad? What if I want to play the character but not actually learn the character? Well then I'll just put everything in strength and health and play without consequence. Basically taking characters I would never play for a test drive. A nice long test drive.

-The maps are nice, they remind me of Deadly Alliance Konquest.

-Themed Recolors: Years ago I was annoyed that MK11 just restarted KL seasons with no new skins, Only 4 characters were lucky to get picked for the KL theme of the month and when they repeated I suggested one new character get a new skin to fit the theme. Obviously that didn't happen but now? Every character can get or should get a chance at that theme. Until this season where they got picky and choosy over who gets to be a full on glowing blue eyes pale skin and white hair Lin Kuei. Vampire Season was the best for this.

A lot of the other complaints are how it's all regular fights but imo that's a fighting game. You will fight the AI or you will fight the human player, Not everything is going to have sidemodes like racing, volleyball, bowling, tetris, chess, fetch quest, tekken force minigames designed to keep you interested in the Not-Fighting Game portion of the fighting game that you bought.

But of course that's me. I played Tekken 7 for years but did you know that it had Tekken Bowl as paid DLC? I didn't pay for it because I knew I would never touch it.

Sidemodes were great back in the days of the PS1/PS2 when online wasn't as widespread and available as it is now. Now for MK? I don't give a care.