What's new

Why don't people sweep?

This may not be a "advanced technique", but I'm looking for an advanced gameplay answer.

Why doesn't the high level of play do a whole lot of sweeps? I main Jade and sweep the shit out of my opponent because she has a nice sweep animation. But there are alot of other characters which you never see them sweep (I know they have bad animations and I can understand why). But the other part of the cast, have a decent animation and can use it, but they don't.

Lyuben

Sinestro's might!
7% and gives opponent a wake up. Unless you are smoke, most characters sweeps are pretty slow and can be risky I guess.

King

Sig Maker
This may not be a "advanced technique", but I'm looking for an advanced gameplay answer.

Why doesn't the high level of play do a whole lot of sweeps?
Because most characters have better low attacks that either lead to damage or setups. Sweeps do little damage and don't really set anything up (as far as I know anyway.) It's also because getting a knockdown in this game isn't a good thing since you now have to deal with wake up attacks. Most players like to keep you standing so they can build meter, get chip damage, get combo damage, or simply keep the pressure going.

STORMS

Co-founder
Founder
Premium Supporter
Because most characters have better low attacks that either lead to damage or setups. Sweeps do little damage and don't really set anything up (as far as I know anyway.) It's also because getting a knockdown in this game isn't a good thing since you now have to deal with wake up attacks. Most players like to keep you standing so they can build meter, get chip damage, get combo damage, or simply keep the pressure going.
Yeah, this isn't MKD... lol

Very nice answer, King.

I use Smoke and have pretty much stopped doing sweeps with even him. It is mainly because if you happen to sweep when your opponent does a cross over jip you always get hit and eat a combo. On top of the wake up attacks and the low damage sweeps just are not worth it, IMHO.

Theme

Noob
I use Smoke and have pretty much stopped doing sweeps with even him. It is mainly because if you happen to sweep when your opponent does a cross over jip you always get hit and eat a combo. On top of the wake up attacks and the low damage sweeps just are not worth it, IMHO.
Yeah Im starting to stop doing sweeps now in general due to crossups. I dont main Smoke, but even for most of the cast, its very dangerous risking 7% for a full 30%+ combo. Not much gain for a lot of risk.

JkOC

Noob
Doing a simple low poke is prob a better option, it can slow pressure, allow you to escape, and possibly lead to landing a combo if opponent reacts badly. A sweep knocks him down and can set up your opponent better and give them more options. I only do it with smoke just to mix things up at times.

I think it depends on the character and how your using sweeps. I don't use sweeps much, but at times it can be useful especially if you need an option to get away from a heavy rushdown character. Some characters do have great sweeps such as Kung Lao and it's been a very great option after a teleport kick since MK2 days.

You can wakeup attack from a sweep but why would anyone just stand that close and do nothing? If your sweeping the best advice is to predict the wakeup or be ready to shut down their wakeup with an ex move or anything that is that good.

salvificblood

Worst Sub-Zero Ever
Sub-Zero has a decent sweep because you can put down a clone afterwards to catch your opponent's wakeup attack. d4 is his best low, though.

PoliceBrutality

Let's go green!!!!
Someone mentioned this earlier but it really depends on the matchup and how you use it. Right now I dont really have an answer for kitana up close. I recently discover that I can stay slightly out of the jumping distance and sweep her pokes to oblivion lol. that worked for me but I still think it's risk

Pokes are usually better but that doesn't mean sweeps aren't effective and annoying as hell. I find that even though the opponent is knocked down, you can read/bait out the wakeup and punish, especially if they have a crappy wakeup like Quan Chi. Or if you know they're not going to do a wakeup, apply more pressure. I think this is called Oki or something. Pokes are safe on hit I think so sweeps are a way to get a breather from the opponent's pressure (especially in the corner, where I find tech rolls less useful).

EDIT: I realized half this zerosoulreaver already mentioned lol.

spongebob

ಠ__ಠ
d4 with most characters is a much better low. After d4 on hit many characters have enough advantage to get a free blocked string which you could cancel into a safe special if you have one which gives chip dmg and builds meter as well.

doomfarmer

unorthodox
Hell, I use sweep. Sweep and F4 is godlike.
SubZero player? Yeah I do the same thing. Online anyway, sweep(s) into F4 ice ball is nearly a guaranteed combo. Offline not so much. After reading all the other replies in this thread though maybe i'll change to D4 into F4. Plus, MagicMan did say it was kinda booty chunx.

N0rdicNinja

Digital Pro Sports
I'll combo in a sweep after a f3 on occasion for a mix up with my NW but not often, and I use it when I'm at a distance and expect people to dash, NWs sweep is stupid long range. But even with those advantages I don't use it often cause I can't do anything with it once it connects and if it's blocked my little sister could punish it.

And high level players don't use an attack because it has a nice animation...