What's new

Why Balanced, Interesting Zoning Characters Hardly Exist in NRS Games

I love Zoners. They're the most obnoxious characters on the rosters, and that's why I like em. When I think of Zoners in this game Quan, Jacqui and Kenshi come to mind. Quan chi is pretty nice inside or out. I think Kenshi and Jacqui are super suspect if you get inside on em. Kenshi is kinda while Jacqui is quick, but she has T-rex arms. I think the game is more rush and combo strings with not much thought given to zoning. If this continues to be the focus for NRS I hope they can improve online play in the future.

Metzos

You will BOW to me!
Why zoners suck in MKX? Two reason:

a: Massive frame disadvantage of their zoning tools on block.
b: Running feature.

Now, dont get me wrong, running feature should stay, but moves that allow zoners to zone should be safer on block. Prime examples are all almost all of Kenshi's specials and Ermac's TKP on Mystic variation.

The only viable zoners atm are Summoner QC, MoS Ermac and probably Vicious and Ruthless F/T.

Shang Tsung was balanced in MK9 and interesting but I see your point. However, I'd really wouldn't say that Chun li was a "Balanced and Interesting" character (atleast, not by design). You made some overall good points that I can't really say anything about. Why can't we have more threads like this?

d3v

SRK
Shang Tsung was balanced in MK9 and interesting but I see your point. However, I'd really wouldn't say that Chun li was a "Balanced and Interesting" character (atleast, not by design). You made some overall good points that I can't really say anything about. Why can't we have more threads like this?
Chun Li is interesting because her design can fill so many different playstyles depending on the game. Also, when she does zone, it isn't purely with fireballs, but rather she gets more mileage out of playing mid-range and using her normals and pokes.

MKX has it right- give everyone zoning or anti zoning (like a harpoon/reflect/teleport) and give everyone rushdown. The issues come when characters are OP in more than one aspect, Kabal rushdown wouldnt be so bad if he didnt have instant air balls, Zod zoning wouldnt be so bad if he didnt have a normal parry and amazing normals, Batgirl wouldve been fine if she earned her way in instead of having anti zoning plus amazing rushdown. Give every character either one strength or be medium at everything (generalist) not MMH where he outzones, out rushdowns, out anti zones, out grapples everyone

If I only wanted rushdown id play DOA, if I only wanted projectiles id play call of duty, I want everything balanced, no character so strong at long distance that all they do is run and spam unless they are completely useless up close to even it out