What's new

Who is the best character for a beginner?

Vilén

too smart to play MKX
I'll leave you with this; there's a reason they call him Easymac.
Because people love to delegitimize strong characters whenever they can?

Just because Ermac has relatively easy combos doesn't mean he's an easy character. If you don't have good knowledge of 2D fighter fundamentals AND your opponents options, you aren't going to have any success with Ermac vs. the not-braindead.

The easiest character to learn and the easiest character to play effectively are sometimes two different things.

PimpUigi

Sex Kick
Wouldn't she have to dash cancel with reptile as well?
No such thing. lol
Though, a good mind game setup is (after you land an elbow dash, or an AA acid spit) three elbow dashes in a row, as fast as possible...it's an ambiguous cross up.
Then, either block their wakeup attack, start a FP, BP, BP combo, do a tick throw with D+FKxxThrow, or D+BKxxAcid Hand into more elbow dash mind games.

I mean, look at Chris G...he just does all the basic good stuff. There's no reason to do his hardish elbow dash into NJP combos. Just do this Chris G combo for your counter combo or jump in combo.
(Jump in Punch if you like) FP, BP, BP, Fast Force Ball, FK, BP, Slow Force Ball, FK, BP, FPxxSlow Force Ball mind game setup.

But since Elbow Dash comes out so fast it can punish many things that other characters cant, it's a great tool for beginners, and since Reptile has many awesome mind games thanks to his slow force balls, and his D+BK/FKxxZangief Ball (Acid Hand) he's perfect for the intermediate/advanced player as well.

Nothing hard to pull off, just takes a good mind to utilize.

Corner combo is the easiest...
FK, BP, FP, Acid Hand, FK, BP, FP, Force Ball, FK, BP, FP, Slide

Spam random force balls (always alternate in succession though, otherwise they won't come out)
Get a random hit with an AA force ball, and free combo plus mind game followup.

Reptile is perfect for her.
Classic costume only though TBH...Reptile (or Yoshi as we call him, he's from the Mushroom Realm) is ugly otherwise.

How does that make any sense to you? You have me intrigued.
I think he means sub zero syndrome. A lot of folks can pick up subzero easy because he has few specials and his bnb is easy, but playing him at the top level is very difficult despite having easily executable tools.

Classic costume only though TBH...Reptile (or Yoshi as we call him, he's from the Mushroom Realm) is ugly otherwise.
Lol, I totally agree.

aj1701

Noob
I always perceived Ermac as a trickier character. Some of his combo strings are pretty rough, and with his nerfed damage, it seems like a noobie would struggle with him.
Still should be easy though. Doing only two special moves with 1 bar = 20% damage? Anyone can do that.

for me it was pick the character that everyone passes over and use him/her in the fight. I did this with Kabal and I'm pretty good as him, though Ermac is good to use for stronger opponents. basically just go with the character with the coolest costume like what i did though i wouldn't rely on it.

Zoidberg747

My blades will find your heart
Johnny Cage

Teaches you good footsies, good antiairing, and none of his combos nor his pressure game are very hard to pick up.

Plus when you get frustrated you can just F3 F33 F333 all day and calm yourself.

Wildabeast

The Bat in the Hat
FYI, I do not recommend Sub Zero. His baiting tactics and slow pace are too unique, so it may cause new players to start habits that would be bad for other characters.
Although Ive often told friends that Sub Zero is the best character to start with simply because I see him as the Ryu of this game (pretty much no execution barrier and relys almost entirely on fundamentals to win) I have to agree with this. Learning the game exclusively with Sub makes it very difficult to transition over to other characters. Took me forever just to adjust to not having an Ice Clone to discourage people from moving in.

Although Ive often told friends that Sub Zero is the best character to start with simply because I see him as the Ryu of this game (pretty much no execution barrier and relys almost entirely on fundamentals to win) I have to agree with this. Learning the game exclusively with Sub makes it very difficult to transition over to other characters. Took me forever just to adjust to not having an Ice Clone to discourage people from moving in.
This is so true. I've started with Sub Zero and it really messed up my projectile game because I forgot that projectiles leave me open (since after you hit the ice ball its not like you'll get attacked).

It's better to start out with 3 different characters to get a feel on all of them. Like for me it's liu kang, jax and ermac. one's projectiles, one's heavy pressure and one's in between. Works for me. Once I get these down I feel i'll know how to use the rest.