What's new

Which Takes More Skill, Zoning or Rushdown?

Which take more skill, zoning or rush down?

• Zoning

Votes: 51 28.0%
  • Rush Down

Votes: 53 29.1%
  • Both

Votes: 78 42.9%

• Total voters

NY-Shadow

TestYourMight SUCKS
Now before I blow up the zoners in this thread, I would consider myself to be a zoner/hybrid type of player and I find it much easier to be good at zoning than rush down. Although, zoning is to be respected, I find myself being much more impressed by people who can effectively rush down and avoid zoning.

Although I've been trying to improve in the rush down department as I would like to be at least adequate in all areas of fighting, I find it much more challenging than zoning. This could just be a personal problem, but my record would indicate that zoning is much easier than rush down.

I admire players such as SonicFox, DJT, MIT, and Forever King and basically everybody at Yomi except for Michaelangelo. I do respect his skill and I certainly could never zone as well as he does, it's just not as impressive to me, especially when there's Quan Chi in the game which I happen to think is one of, if not the scrubbiest character in any fighting game, although I haven't played all fighting games so please forgive me if there are dumber characters.

Some may say it's easier than ever to rush down in this game and although that may be true due to the abundance of 50/50's and the run button, I still find myself struggling to keep up.

What do you guys think? Do you guys see it the same way or am I just offensively challenged? Please discuss, agree, or disagree as much as you please. Much love TYM.
TYM members should stop trying to promote political correctness in not admitting that rushdown is way more difficult and requires a lot more skill than zoning. With so many of TYM's members being zoners the idea of appeasing everyone by some members stating that "both are equally difficult" is pure PC at its bullshit best. What a bunch of crybabies omg.

NY-Shadow

TestYourMight SUCKS
Honestly, both require skill. That's all that needs to be said. Of course some games favor a certain playstyle more. But it can be tough to establish offense and get in to do so. It can also be hard to keep your space and get some room without dying.
PC whore.

Zoning you dont have to make that many decisions. It's easy to make the right decision over how to best continue the zoning. Just dont let them jump in or run up and armor - not rocket science. Rush down you need to stagger strings, hit confirm, mix up your 5050s, decide whether to block an armored wakeup or go for a meaty attack, etc.

Not even a question which is harder. Pew pew pew pew...pew pew pew pew

NY-Shadow

TestYourMight SUCKS
Zoning you dont have to make that many decisions. It's easy to make the right decision over how to best continue the zoning. Just dont let them jump in or run up and armor - not rocket science. Rush down you need to stagger strings, hit confirm, mix up your 5050s, decide whether to block an armored wakeup or go for a meaty attack, etc.

Not even a question which is harder. Pew pew pew pew...pew pew pew pew
lol oh how they hate the truth.

DarksydeDash

You know me as RisingShieldBro online.
There is no skill in having to guess a 50/50 which could potentially end the game. Zoning easily takes more skill, especially since some moves can get neutral ducked.

The question shouldn't be "which takes more skill".
It should be "which carries more risk".

Zoning has been referred to as playing "lame" for a reason. Yes, people differ on what they like seeing in games, but chances are, a character with strong zoning/good range has less to worry about when they're wrong. Frames matter less. Initiative matters less. It's on the shorter ranged/rushdown character to take a risk to get going. In most games anyway.

MKX it's not as hard to get through zoning save for a few characters and variations. So it really depends on the game. (Actually, maybe that should've been a poll choice.)

sub_on_dubs

Online Scrub Lord
TYM members should stop trying to promote political correctness in not admitting that rushdown is way more difficult and requires a lot more skill than zoning. With so many of TYM's members being zoners the idea of appeasing everyone by some members stating that "both are equally difficult" is pure PC at its bullshit best. What a bunch of crybabies omg.
Didn't think u were going to respond again. Your presence made this thread bigger than I had anticipated.

Last edited:
I hate when people get mad at zoners because they dont like waiting especially in a match up like fa jacqui vs any kotal kahn yeah he may have to duck a while but If jacqui makes one mistake he can do a nearly fullscreen jump 1 into 40% damage and up while if he messed up he may eat 12% from gun or 5% from chip

"Kingshootahz, post: 1936549, member: 41418"]If your character has the tools for it, neither are hard
Sonya covert ops rush down
jax rush down
Cassie rush down

Vs

Commando rush down
Bloodgod rush down
...A lot of this cast is rush down...

Hish qu ten zoning.
Gun slinger zoning
Full auto zoning
Aftershock zoning

Vs
Lol Jason unstoppable zoning
Lackey zoning
Hunter zoning
Goro zoning[/QUOTE]
UNSTOPPABLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!????

@MylesWright_

I'll be back 3ing
The rule of NRS games is that you might as well unplug the controller when you get knocked fullscreen. Give MKX some time

Aramonde

Noob
*crouches down*
Now here we see the troll after hes been noticed and identified. Now the troll throws out more bait by attacking the other posters and ridiculing them. This tactic will elicit more responses thus giving him more nourishment. Lets see how the other forum members will respond
*hides behind leaves with binoculars*

Undergroundepict

I am like the blue rose
Zoning out noobs is easy.

Zoning out good players is really fucking hard.

Fair enough, HQT is fucking stupid.

There are some swaggy ass moments in Zoning History, where guys just make the right read after the right read after the right read, and that to me is every bit as impressive and as anything that happens in the rushdown portion of the game. Pig of the Hut back in that ESL tournament a few months back comes to mind. Swag. As. Fuck. And if you don't see it, then you need to git gud.

Honestly, both are important, and "zoners who are unable to execute in the rushdown aspect of the game" essentially translates to "people who don't know how to play the game."

"Rushdown players who are gangster as fuck with their fbrc's and super-optimal combo damage, but for some reason feel zoning is dirty and refuse to do it (anti-zoning zealots :DOGE)" translates into "scrubs."

Basically, if you aren't playing all aspects of the game, then you are limiting yourself as a player. As annoying as FA Jaqui can be online, it is a trillion times more annoying to run into a pure rushdown FA Jaqui who refuses to zone out with the machine gun because of some skewed sense of fighting game morals they posseess. It's like, bruh...

Israel

Noob
Actually Defense takes more than the two.

Go ahead..be the best zoner and rushdowner, know all those frames for pressuring...and traps... chip damage is all you getting.

You aint touching me..... scrub.

SaSSolino

Soul Stealing Loyalist
depends on witch zoning or rushdown you are talking about. HQT pred's zoning is braindead, kenshi's isn't; cryo sub and co sonya's rushdown are braindead, alist cage's isn't.