What's new

What will you play first?

Space Cadet

They shot our face, Johnny. They shot. Our FACE.
First first I'll probably look over everything in the menus, after that I'm definitely going to the story. Not sure what then we'll see.

Mind Flex

Mind Gamer. BOOSH
  1. Lab with Smoke for 10 minutes
  2. Story Mode
  3. Lab with Smoke for a couple hours
  4. Invasion Playthrough using Smoke while swapping through all kameos
  5. Lab Smoke with favorite kameo
  6. Ranked

I hope to find the complete story mode on youtube before 09/14 then I don't waste time with that. I'll complete the story mode for the rewards, then practice, towers and invasions.
I like to collect everything and I play with lots of characters, have more fun this way than focusing on few and winning more...
The online percent I'm gonna play will increase with time...

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
I have my overall schedule written down. This helps me stay focused since I have ADHD. It’s pretty long but it’s something that is necessary for me to do and it helps me a lot. Anyway here it is:

1. Go through all the tutorials available
  2. If there’s combo trials, complete all of them
  3. Lab with Smoke and Scorpion for a couple hours a piece in training mode
  4. Labbing will consist of learning and memorizing all the normals, combos and specials in the movelist. Then I’ll learn a few BnB’s. This’ll help me get a feel for both the character and also the mechanics of the game. After I learn some combos and BnB’s, start looking for the characters best anti airs, best tools in neutral, fundamentals, etc
  5. Try out all the Kameos and then loosely keep in mind which ones I think will work well with Smoke & Scorpion
  6. Now move on and try out each character. Not going to lab them for very long. Will probably just go through their movesets and then move on. I’ll write down which characters I find interesting and think that I want to spend more time on later.
  7. Start and complete the story mode at this point
  8. After Story Mode is completed, might try invasion mode out for a bit. Depending on what you unlock in this mode, I might do this before I lab. Aka if there’s Kameo’s that you unlock in Invasion mode. Essentially got to play it by ear.
  9. After that, time to go back to the lab and start taking notes for each character & Kameo. Their pros & cons, their perceived strengths & weaknesses, what arch type the characters are, etc (again, same for Kameos). Have as much notes written down as possible. Writing stuff down helps me learn and retain information. These will be preliminary notes and not too in depth yet.
  10. At this point I should have a solid “pool” of characters I really want to spend more time on and learn.
  11. Decide which of those characters I’m most comfortable with.
  12. Of those characters, narrow it down to only one FOR NOW. The other characters will be on the back burner for later.
  13. Finally start playing online with that character. Really depends on the modes, the ranking system, and all of that.
  14. Mainly use that 1 character online for awhile to get a feel for the game and that character. And as far as Kameos, switch between a few that I’ve already tried out in the lab to see which one of those works well in actual matches. The reason I narrow it down and only focus on one character for awhile is because switching between too many characters early when it comes to playing against opponents and learning the game can actually slow down your progress imo. There’s SO much information you have to retain and you don’t want to spread yourself too thin and try to do too much too soon. Also, getting decent and comfortable with one character will help you tremendously when you try out other characters. Because you’ll be far more comfortable with the game mechanics, the flow of the game, etc etc.
  15. As I’m playing online, even though it’ll be early in the games life, start taking rudimentary notes on matchups with my main. Not only notes against the main characters but also the Kameos. If there’s certain Kameos that do well against my main, that’s definitely something I need to note.
  16. While I’m playing online, I will be going back and forth from training mode and testing out things that I saw used one me. Especially if it’s something I had a tough time dealing with. Train against whatever that is, and find ways around it or ways to beat it.
  17. Take note of the general gameplan each character favors. This is kind of like making the character archetypes. But I’m writing down the gameplan certain characters use specifically against my main.
  18. Make sure you record your matches, and watch them back. Especially the matches where you lost. Analyze the mistakes you made, what you could’ve done better, identify what your opponent was doing that was working, etc. Then, once again go back to training mode and work on ways to beat or counter whatever it is you were losing to and also work on your fundamentals more and just anywhere you feel you have weaknesses.
  19. Watch match footage from other players, namely really good or top players. You can learn a lot from watching other players, it’s actually unbelievably important. Seriously, this is what elevates my skills in any video game, competitive or otherwise.
  20. Try and find a training partner that is near your same skill level and also one you can discuss the game and strategy with. This is a tough one especially if you’re not already in a “clique” of players. But, there’s no harm in asking around.
  21. At times, go into matches with a specific goal in mind. For instance, purposely never jumping forward the entire match. It doesn’t matter what the goal is, what matters is you stick to it regardless if whatever it is loses you the match. You’re trying to learn, get better, and improve. I wouldn’t necessarily do this in ranked, but even if it is in ranked, losing shouldn’t matter. When you’re losing, you should be learning. As I’ve been advocating for well over a decade, you can learn far more from losing than you ever can from winning
  22. Again, discuss strategy with other players. Whether that’s other players who main the same characters as you, or just in general strategy discussions. Don’t be afraid to share tech as well. Of course, it’s entirely up to you what you want to share, but it’ll be a lot more beneficial in the long run to share tech!!

Jynks

some heroes are born, some made, some wondrous
I hope to find the complete story mode on youtube before 09/14 then I don't waste time with that. I'll complete the story mode for the rewards, then practice, towers and invasions. I like to collect everything and I play with lots of characters, have more fun this way than focusing on few and winning more... The online percent I'm gonna play will increase with time...
So.. Just to be clear... You plan to watch how ever many hours story mode is on YouTube.. Probably 20 ish or something.. Then you also plan to play it for the unlocks...

Why not just play it and watch it as you do the unlocks all in one go and experience the game as designed .. With out some lame toober taking bollocks all over it?

So.. Just to be clear... You plan to watch how ever many hours story mode is on YouTube.. Probably 20 ish or something.. Then you also plan to play it for the unlocks...

Why not just play it and watch it as you do the unlocks all in one go and experience the game as designed .. With out some lame toober taking bollocks all over it?
Just to save time! I don't have much lol...

But I'll do it only if I can before launch...

Jynks

some heroes are born, some made, some wondrous
I'm confused... watching it on youtube and playing it will take the same amount of time.. so you are using more time by doing it twice?

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
I'm confused... watching it on youtube and playing it will take the same amount of time.. so you are using more time by doing it twice?
Playing story mode while skipping all the cutscenes takes significantly less time than watching them all play out. He’s saying he wants to watch the story before the game drops or at least before he gets access to the game so that when he does and plays the story, he doesn’t have to sit through all the cutscenes and what not and can essentially just speedrun through the story for any unlocks it provides.

Demon_0

RIP Akira Toriyama
Mostly training mode followed by story and invasions during the first week (sept 14-19). I want to unlock as many alts and gear pieces as I can, especially for characters that have bad costumes/gear pieces. After that just training mode and ranked.

Last edited:

colby4898

Special Forces Sonya Up-player
Just training and online. I don't tend to care for the single player modes and dgaf about the story