What's new

What Villain Books Did You Like This Month?

Briggs8417

Salt Proprietor of TYM
WARNING: THIS IS A SUPER LENGTHY POST, SO IF YOU DON'T FEEL LIKE READING ABOUT ALL THESE COMICS, YOU CAN EITHER SKIM SOME OR GTFO. I WANT TO TALK ABOUT COMICS, AND AINT NOBODY GOT TIME TO LISTEN TO YOU WHINE ABOUT HOW LONG THE POST IS AND HOW YOU DIDN'T READ IT.

Hey comic book fans, I just wanted to make this thread and discuss the Villains Month event that DC had for September. You guys feel free to post how you felt about villains month and what your favorite and least favorite books were. As for me I felt that the books were very hit and miss, but overall I felt it was good. I've read a little less than half of the titles, and I still might go back and buy more if some are recommended, and I'm going to give a list of all the books I read and then state my opinion on them as well as point out my favorites:

Zod- A pretty decent story that basically recaps Zods life and shows the type of character he is, and why he ended up in the phantom zone. It wasn't great, but it was worth a read if you want to learn about the character or just enjoy him.

Black Manta- This was one of my favorite books this month and it was really well done. It just shows what Black Manta is up to after the events of Forever Evil #1, as well as his future intentions. Geoff Johns seems to be really setting a great tone for this story because just about all the books he has written are the ones that I enjoyed the most. I highly recommend this book to anyone interested in any of the villain titles.

Black Adam- This was my favorite because it really filled the gap and questions I had after reading the last Trinity War issue as well as Forever Evil number one regarding the character, and it's also just a great story that introduces a lot of characters from the realm of Captain Marvel for the first time such as Adrianna and Amon (Who will probably later become Isis and Osiris)...also it's just a very very good read, if you have been following the Shazam story since new 52, with great art. Also, it's Black Adam...who is my favorite character, so take this one however you wish, although I highly reccomend it I loved it.

Doomsday-I was really eager to see Doomsday for the first time in new 52, and I have to say, I love his new look, but the book itself left me with more questions than answers because it seemed to conflict with the story told in the Zod book if I read correctly. However I could have just been mistaken. Also, the focus wasn't really on DD although he was mentioned and shown often, and i didn't know what that was about. Still a good read though.

Riddler-Aaaaaah yess Riddler...this was easily my #2 villain book. If you are a fan of The Riddler or Batman villains in general, or hell you just want an awesome and entertaining read, pick this book up. It basically just depicts how the Riddler decides to spend his time after the events of Forever Evil, and it just showcases the character perfectly. I absolutely loved it.

Court of the Owls-Another good read as it just seems to delve deeper into the mysterious Court of the Owls and shows just how determined they are to keep control of Gotham City.
Reverse Flash-This was a very good story to catch the new and improved background of the Reverse Flash, and the art is just like all the art in the other Flash books...AMAZING! Really like this one and would reccomend it to anyone interested.

Bizarro- A very boring story with ok art to me, but it did give some nice glimpses into what the future for Superman might hold.

Lex Luthor- This is a character that I have been falling more and more in love with lately and for this sole reason alone I have been thinking about playing him in Injustice lol. This book was still really well done and really gives you a better look into just what kind of person Lex Luthor is, and I was very happy with it. This one was another one of my favorites and it comes highly recommended.

Joker- Alright, I being Joker8417 will catch criticism for this but...I HATED THIS STORY. Joker one of my favorite fictional characters ever...if not my favorite right along with Black Adam, but this story in no way, shape or form did the character justice. Now I don't know if this was supposed to be before the events of Forever Evil I can't remember because I read it weeks ago, but...ISN'T JOKER SUPPOSED TO BE DEAD ATM?! WHY IS HIS FACE SO CLEAN LOOKING?! WHAT THE HELL IS THIS?! This isn't even a real concern of my either, it's just the inconsistency that has been going on with the Batman books lately has been driving me nuts. I didn't like anything that happened in the story, I didn't like the way it played out or ended. I somewhat liked the beginning with the whole deal with his aunt, and then it all went downhill from there. They had a chance to really do something special with Joker and showcase him for everyone and they messed it up badly. I haven't come across anyone who liked this book, I don't recommend it at all. The art was really the only redeeming factor and it was ok.

Arcane- This was a good story for anyone who is interested as to just what happened to him after the events of Rotworld as well as those who wanted get a bit of a background. Pretty good art too.

Two Face- A good book however it was kind of just a typical Two Face side story that you see from time to time, however it's still enjoyable.

Ra'as Al Ghul and the League of Assassins- This is a book that sucked me in quickly never let me out. This was a great origin story with good art and some huge implications for future events that could be taking place in Forever Evil. I give this a stamp of approval. :p

Darkseid- I got disappointed with this book simply because I came in with high expectations and didn't quite get what I wanted. It's still ok, but I just read better out of the books I've read. It's a look into what lead Darkseid to invade the Earth as well as how he got as strong as he is.

Deadshot- I got completely blindsided by this book. I didn't come in expecting much because I have always found Deadshot to be a mediocre character, but I gave him a shot for villain month, and I didn't get disappointed...in fact I got surprised with a very good issue. I don't want to go into plot details too much on this one, because since I don't know the character too well idk if I'd spoil anything, so I will just end this by saying that this was my underdog book out of the bunch I've read if that makes sense lol.

Grodd- Grodd gave me about what I expected in his book. He came back from the speed force and took over the Central City, and went "apeshit" on anyone who might have contested it. A solid read and has that gawlike Flash art.

Secret Society- Another highly recommended book, not only because it gives you a glimpse of Owlman and Earth 3, but because it is pretty much a direct tie in to Forever Evil and it's totally worth the read. Geoff Johns hasn't been writing books this good since his prime during the GL run, and he's doing a fantastic job writing his books for this story. I'm getting more and more excited with each issue I read.

Bane- This book pretty much sets up the premise for Arkham War, and at first I was just going to read it because it had to deal with Batman villains, but after reading this as well as Scarecrow, I'm way more excited for the book. It's your typical Bane background along with seeing what his plans are for Forever Evil, and it's got me stoked. Anyone wanting to read Arkham War should read this.

Black Hand- Ok book with some good art, just basically Black Hand coming back to Earth and being Black Hand. Still a good read though.

Scarecrow- Another book that sets up Arkham War, it wasn't quite as good as Bane to me but still worth the read to get an understanding of just what is going to happen in the story. Plus for all the Scarecrow fans you will enjoy it.

Poison Ivy- An ok book with an ok character telling the same old story we already knew with a bit of a twist. Still a good read but it was kind of just mediocre.

Cheetah- This was a pretty good book and I liked that this character got to showcase herself a bit, because she is pretty cool to me. It really shows off just how powerful, strong and brutal she is as a character.

Shadow Thief- I picked this book up to learn a little bit about her because I don't really even know who or what she is, and I really liked what I read. It was a good look into the character and the art was pretty good as well. Anyone who is looking into exploring new characters I would say to read this or Ocean Master.

Ocean Master- The Aquaman characters really shined above most this month and I loved it. Another great book by Geoff Johns that made me feel proud to be such a huge fan of Aquaman.

Sinestro- This was kind of just a recap of the entire GL story, and it's still all the same stuff you knew about Thaal before. It was good, just nothing new and it didn't even hint at him showing up in Forever Evil.

I know this is a long post guys so you don't have to read, but I just haven't talked about comics in so long and I wanted to talk about these a lot so if you read thanks a bunch, feel free to post up your thoughts about comics this month too.

pogse

Ruthlesss Mayhem
only read black manta and black adam. Black Adam was really hype! just became one of my favorite villains. "the world belongs to no one." hopefully I could get Ocean Master this week.

Fred Marvel

It's actually Freddy Marvel
only read black manta and black adam. Black Adam was really hype! just became one of my favorite villains. "the world belongs to no one." hopefully I could get Ocean Master this week.
i just finished the Black Adam issue it was awesome but he was already one of my favorite DC characters, nice to see this issue due him justice. i liked Deadshot's as well, now im about to read Sinestro's

SoundsLikePAUSE

Neptune's Beard!!!
I think The Rogue's was the best one of them all. Or at least tied with Lex Luthor. I really liked Poison Ivy too. Secret Society was good as well, especially with how close it ties in with the actual Forever Evil arc.

Briggs8417

Salt Proprietor of TYM
I almost picked up the roads, but then I decided against it for some reasonquote="SoundsLikePAUSE, post: 1152874, member: 14364"]I think The Rogue's was the best one of them all. Or at least tied with Lex Luthor. I really liked Poison Ivy too. Secret Society was good as well, especially with how close it ties in with the actual Forever Evil arc.[/quote]
I almost picked up the rogues, but then I decided against it for some reason. Ill have to pick it up. Lex was probably my favorite after riddler and adam.

SoundsLikePAUSE

Neptune's Beard!!!
I almost picked up the roads, but then I decided against it for some reasonquote="SoundsLikePAUSE, post: 1152874, member: 14364"]I think The Rogue's was the best one of them all. Or at least tied with Lex Luthor. I really liked Poison Ivy too. Secret Society was good as well, especially with how close it ties in with the actual Forever Evil arc.
I almost picked up the rogues, but then I decided against it for some reason. Ill have to pick it up. Lex was probably my favorite after riddler and adam.[/quote]
I wasn't expecting much from it, but it does a great job of showing what they're really about. And makes it clear how they'll fit into Forever Evil. Almost wish they had their own series now. lol

Black Knife

AKA Blank
Poison Ivy, Ventriloquist, and Riddler were all right. REALLY loved First Born and Joker's Daughter. The rest I either haven't gotten to or don't want to read.

Mulder

King of Heroes
What about the Joker did I learn in this book? What was the point of the story? What was the point of this story...seriously? I didn't feel like I was reading a book about the Joker.
Not all the stories need to be revelation-filled. The story was a fun one-shot with Joker.

Briggs8417

Salt Proprietor of TYM
Not all the stories need to be revelation-filled. The story was a fun one-shot with Joker.
I didn't find it fun, I didn't find it entertaining, was bored for about 40 pages. I just felt like I wasn't even reading about the Joker in the first place, and I didn't like the way they portrayed him in this issue. I'm not asking for some mind blowing book with a major plot point or twist, but what they put out was atrocious.

Mulder

King of Heroes
I didn't find it fun, I didn't find it entertaining, was bored for about 40 pages. I just felt like I wasn't even reading about the Joker in the first place, and I didn't like the way they portrayed him in this issue. I'm not asking for some mind blowing book with a major plot point or twist, but what they put out was atrocious.
Yet you still have yet to explain why it was atrocious.

Briggs8417

Salt Proprietor of TYM
Yet you still have yet to explain why it was atrocious.
I just told you...while you have yet to give me a reason why it was good. Guess I have to quote myself now:

I didn't find it fun, I didn't find it entertaining, was bored for about 40 pages. I just felt like I wasn't even reading about the Joker in the first place, and I didn't like the way they portrayed him in this issue. I didn't like anything that happened in the story, I didn't like the way it played out or ended. I somewhat liked the beginning with the whole deal with his aunt, and then it all went downhill from there. They had a chance to really do something special with Joker and showcase him for everyone and they messed it up badly. I haven't come across anyone who liked this book, I don't recommend it at all. The art was really the only redeeming factor and it was ok.

They of course can't tie him into the Forever Evil story because he is dead atm, so they went and backtracked. I wasn't expecting a mindfuck, but forty pages of a gorilla? C'mon man, don't tell me you can't think of a plethora of better stories for the Joker on your own, and these guys got paid to come up with that. The books are suppose to showcase some of the more notorious villains in the DC universe and give them their chance in the spotlight, and I was just not impressed with anything they did in Batman 23.1.

Mulder

King of Heroes
I just told you...while you have yet to give me a reason why it was good. Guess I have to quote myself now:

I didn't find it fun, I didn't find it entertaining, was bored for about 40 pages. I just felt like I wasn't even reading about the Joker in the first place, and I didn't like the way they portrayed him in this issue. I didn't like anything that happened in the story, I didn't like the way it played out or ended. I somewhat liked the beginning with the whole deal with his aunt, and then it all went downhill from there. They had a chance to really do something special with Joker and showcase him for everyone and they messed it up badly. I haven't come across anyone who liked this book, I don't recommend it at all. The art was really the only redeeming factor and it was ok.

They of course can't tie him into the Forever Evil story because he is dead atm, so they went and backtracked. I wasn't expecting a mindfuck, but forty pages of a gorilla? C'mon man, don't tell me you can't think of a plethora of better stories for the Joker on your own, and these guys got paid to come up with that. The books are suppose to showcase some of the more notorious villains in the DC universe and give them their chance in the spotlight, and I was just not impressed with anything they did in Batman 23.1.
1. You mean that they portrayed him the way he was supposed to?

2. After the shit that was DoTF you need to go back to basics.

3. I liked the comic so there.

4. Joker isn't dead.

Briggs8417

Salt Proprietor of TYM
1. You mean that they portrayed him the way he was supposed to?

2. After the shit that was DoTF you need to go back to basics.

3. I liked the comic so there.

4. Joker isn't dead.
1) No
2) DOTF actually had a point, and it did what it was supposed to.
3) Great stuff, you are entitled to do so.
4) Of course, that's why I said atm.

Mulder

King of Heroes
1) No
2) DOTF actually had a point, and it did what it was supposed to.
3) Great stuff, you are entitled to do so.
4) Of course, that's why I said atm.
1. DoTF's portrayal of Joker was the wrong way to do him.
2. Yeah that's why it was an editorial nightmare and had writers almost quit, refuse to write their part, and had the writer of Suicide Squad directly write a shit tie-in on purpose.

Briggs8417

Salt Proprietor of TYM
1. DoTF's portrayal of Joker was the wrong way to do him.
2. Yeah that's why it was an editorial nightmare and had writers almost quit, refuse to write their part, and had the writer of Suicide Squad directly write a shit tie-in on purpose.
1) Irrelevant
2) they almost quit because dc told them they were told they weren't allowed to kill a character in a series called death of the family, because R.I.P. was already coming out around the same time.

Mulder

King of Heroes
1) Irrelevant
2) they almost quit because dc told them they were told they weren't allowed to kill a character in a series called death of the family, because R.I.P. was already coming out around the same time.
That's not why Gail Simone almost quit.