What's new

Question What makes MK9 stand out?

haketh

Noob
M
That's what I thought

So you're telling me these guys all ONLY came and ONLY signed up for this? Dude ..... Honestly and no offense but are we joking around now?

If I looked it up I bet these people also signed up for sfv sfv4 mvc or something
Their are plenty of people who show up only for stuff like X-Mania, DCC, VSAV etc.

AK L0rdoftheFLY

I hatelove this game
Sure, but the problem is, in MK9, if you play just about anyone other than Kung Lao, Sonya and maybe a couple of other characters, you're fucked against Kabal. At least in MKX, due to better character balance, your offensive options might compensate.
This is true but I thought the argument is that there are not enough defensive options in MKX?

Saltea Moonspell

"Mind Over Matter" I dont mind, and X dont matter
I may be mistaken but as far as I remeber In entire life time of MK9 there were a handful of players who could dominate with Kabal and it was not at the point of "You're fucked". If I remember correctly those were: DetroidBallin, REO and maybe one or two more players. REO as best Kabal ever was nearly down by xSomkex challenge we all remember. I feel like the gaps between Kabal and rest of the top 10 is not as Big as between Alien say or Kano CT and the rest of the MKX cast. Not to mention in order to have a decent Kabal You need time or great execution. While Alien or others go full automatic. I know thats not the case here but imo thats is still very important part of the core game. In Europe for example, there were almost no Kabals on top - just my two cents.

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
I may be mistaken but as far as I remeber In entire life time of MK9 there were a handful of players who could dominate with Kabal and it was not at the point of "You're fucked". If I remember correctly those were: DetroidBallin, REO and maybe one or two more players. REO as best Kabal ever was nearly down by xSomkex challenge we all remember. I feel like the gaps between Kabal and rest of the top 10 is not as Big as between Alien say or Kano CT and the rest of the MKX cast. Not to mention in order to have a decent Kabal You need time or great execution. While Alien or others go full automatic. I know thats not the case here but imo thats is still very important part of the core game. In Europe for example, there were almost no Kabals on top - just my two cents.
The main Kabal players that were taking tournaments mid 2012 onward were those 2 + PL a little further down the road. I think Kevo took one or two as well. But that's not much different to how it is for Alien. Largely that stuff is due to the NRS community being stubborn about playing top tier lol.

That's why I won't say shit about balance cuz this community's tournament results tend to barely reflect tiers outside of MKX and Injustice at CEO lol.

Saltea Moonspell

The main Kabal players that were taking tournaments mid 2012 onward were those 2 + PL a little further down the road. I think Kevo took one or two as well. But that's not much different to how it is for Alien.
WIth all due respect. I find it hard to believe the similarity in those two. I mean in placing wise - maybe yeah but I believe thats because people didnt know how to deal with Kabals pressure. But in the case of Alien its not the matter of matchup knowledge, its the absurd of the tools he were given. You could punish Kabal with almost entire cast. You could poke in in between that pressure. The only semi-safe moves were OH with knockdown and ground saws. While in Alien example or Kano CT there isnt much You can do about it, even if You guess right. You know what am sayin ? In terms of tournament placing ....yeah we could say that here and there two or three players were solid major placing with both characters but thats it. Thats the only common aspect they share. I dont know...maybe there are things I do not see, so forgive me if I am blind.

Saltea Moonspell

About the No Vortexes didn't Baraka have one in the corner as long as he had meter?
Baraka was in MK since 1992 and while being in MK9 it was for him like he never existed LOL. But yeah, we could I guess count that as a existence of vortex. But its like comparing weed to tobacco - both are rolled and smoked but the after effect is not alike.

TamedLizard

Buff George
Lots of discussion pertaining to MK9's gameplay, but those topics aside, MK9 in it's entirety was a direct fan service. That game was literally every MK fan's fap dream. Mine included. Every Trilogy era character was included, which are the majority's fan favorites. Numerous nostalgic throwbacks in fatalities, stage fatalities, arenas, Easter eggs, and music. Plus an interesting (albeit flawed) new story telling design.

Couple that with grand redesigns for every character, the glorious return to the 2D plane, and the ability to finally create your own unique combos using the new mechanics instead of 18 button long dial-a-combo bnbs and you've got a hella fun game with new perspectives on interesting characters as well as a fresh new gameplay design.

Also worth mentioning MK fans were ecstatic to wash the foul taste of Armageddon (and MK vs DC) out of their mouths.

MKX and MK9 are more similar than some people realize. Each have their own pros and cons as with any game, but a lot of the stuff MK9 was appreciated for is overlooked in MKX simply because we've seen it before and it no longer has that "new car smell". Diversity in character gameplay archetypes, core mechanics, unique story mode, and a new online experience (I didn't say good :p) to name a few.

I loved MK9, but imho MKX is the superior title and only falls short when it comes to arena selection, character roster, *music, and a few gameplay nitpicks.

Last edited:
Evo 2014 ring any bells? Your argument that a character is irrelevant because they don't have as many tournament wins is lazy at best. You really have to ask yourself one question: Really how many "Top" Sonya players were there? Your other argument that since you don't seem to lose vs Sonya with Cage means she isn't as good as people say is also very flawed too. Sonya does beat Cage...
@xKhaoTik
@RM AtK!
Maybe she does in theory but if she does it's not by much and is practically even. And evo 2014 was a joke. The level of play had dramatically decreased since the game's prime.

I also think because we're so far removed from playing MK9, some of its fucked up aspects is being sort of swept under the rug. Like, it's easy to say, "yeah, the game needed another patch because the balance was terrible" and leave it at that. But go back and play it, get touched by Cyrax once, lose the round, then come back here... Let me know how that feels, and if it's not worse than MKX's 50/50's.

I think MK9's characters were more fun, unique and diverse on average. And I do prefer the game's neutral game to MKX's neutral game. But honestly it's about the only things MK9 did better over MKX. In a perfect world where every glitch is removed and the balance wasn't shit, would MK9 be fantastic? Sure. The problem is, these are not minor issues. It's dumb to say "if only the balance and the glitches were fixed," as if these are some two minor issues. MK9 needed far more than just "another patch," honestly. And I'm saying this as someone who considers it my favorite fighting game of all time.
If only kabal was nerfed and everything else remained the same, that would of been enough for me to keep playing. Yes, there were other problems but they weren't enough to make me stop loving the game. Kabal was though. Everything else was bearable.

ArmedCalf

I guess I play Necromancer now.. PSN: ArmedCalf
I was looking for Quan Chi game play for MK9 and stumbled across just some gameplay of Insuperable vs Smoke - this was back in like 2014. It was a hype thing to watch honestly. The last time I was hype watching MKX was when Tekken Master showed up to EVO. Everything has been so.....lame actually. No real underused character representation (Blood God and Jason in top 8 was actually dope), no massive upsets anymore. The last few tournaments have ended with a lot of the same MU's. There's only so many times you can watch an episode of Family Guy before you stop laughing at the jokes.

16 Bit

Mash d+1~Cat Claws
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
A lot of bad memories or willful ignorance about Kabal results. It wasn't just REO and Detroit. Carl, CD Jr, Curbo, Dab, Slayer, West Coat Jeff. We were close to reaching end game by 2013 and 2014. Let's not rewrite history people.

The Abbot

Unit LK-52O
I was looking for Quan Chi game play for MK9 and stumbled across just some gameplay of Insuperable vs Smoke - this was back in like 2014. It was a hype thing to watch honestly. The last time I was hype watching MKX was when Tekken Master showed up to EVO. Everything has been so.....lame actually. No real underused character representation (Blood God and Jason in top 8 was actually dope), no massive upsets anymore. The last few tournaments have ended with a lot of the same MU's. There's only so many times you can watch an episode of Family Guy before you stop laughing at the jokes.
This is why I made this thread. I'm not shitting on MKX. MK9 just had a higher entertainment value.

I also posted a Sup video earlier in the thread that's hype as hell to watch.

CRKFIEND

Noob
MK9 plays like MK3. They gave us what we wanted.

OH, and MKX's run mechanic is shit. Whoever decided that instead of pressing 1 button to run, that we should press three buttons instead (Fwd,Fwd+Block), needs to be fired at NRS immediately. Seriously, who came up with that garbage @tylerlansdown ?

Last edited:

The Abbot

Unit LK-52O
A lot of bad memories or willful ignorance about Kabal results. It wasn't just REO and Detroit. Carl, CD Jr, Curbo, Dab, Slayer, West Coat Jeff. We were close to reaching end game by 2013 and 2014. Let's not rewrite history people.
Don't forget about the greatest Kabal of them all... Michaelangelo.

Last edited:

ChaosTheory

A fat woman came into the shoe store today...
MK9 plays like MK3. They gave us what we wanted.[/USER] ?
That's interesting. I always thought the opposite. MKX seems to have a similar philosophy to MK3 was far as the offense and rushdown.

Completely unfounded speculation: I thought the guy(s) calling the game play shots were big into MK3 back in the day. So it would make sense to me if they wanted to bring back that always-in-your-face style.