What's new

what is considered a scrub?

d3v

SRK
To me a scrub is a noobhunter that puts no time into learning the game. Instead he or she will find an easy, cheap gimmick and abuse it on players that are even weaker then they are. They will also refuse to challage anyone better then themselves
People who counterpick to a character they don't normally use to spam special moves.

People who lack fundamentals, have terrible erads and reactions, and can ONLY do the same one or two long strings they burned into muscle memory.

But, more generally, it's anyone not willing to learn who lies to themselves and others about their skill level. They have no desire to improve, but a strong desire to be considered great without putting in any work.
Except those are the exact opposite of the academic definition of a scrub. A scrub isn't someone who finds something cheap to abuse, rather a scrub is someone who complains about cheap stuff.

d3v

SRK
It's different online. Online is full of scrubs, and that's what they are, who do the same repeated stuff and get away with it due to lag, who don't even attempt to learn the game to any extent, and rage like crazy if they lose. It's scrubby to bitch about it to, which I was doing until I realized how atrocious the online is, and that I should just dismiss it and not even get upset about it.
Doesn't matter. They're doing it, and it gets them wins and winning is all that matters. Anyone who complains is a scrub, as was already pointed out in the excerpt from Sirlin's Playing to Win.

Invincible Salads

Seeker of knowledge
People who counterpick to a character they don't normally use to spam special moves.

People who lack fundamentals, have terrible erads and reactions, and can ONLY do the same one or two long strings they burned into muscle memory.

But, more generally, it's anyone not willing to learn who lies to themselves and others about their skill level. They have no desire to improve, but a strong desire to be considered great without putting in any work.
them terrible erads man, i think theres a cure for those now tho....

d3v

SRK
That's wrong.

A scrub is about mentality, and being unwilling to learn. Someone spamming the same shit, and coming online ONLY to do that is scrubby, especially when they believe themselves to be a top player because of it.

Bitching about people getting away with murder online due to negligent netcode is not scrubby, unless it goes on for too long. Then yes, it becomes scrubby as well.
You're correct that it's about mentality, but not that mentality.

A scrub is bound by their made up rules about what should and should not be used to win. If someone's abusing something like lag to win online, or just abuses one or two moves to spam, then he isn't a scrub. In fact, some of Sirlin's examples of non-scrubby play involve "spamming."
Doing one move or sequence over and over and over is a tactic close to my heart that often elicits the call of the scrub. This goes right to the heart of the matter: why can the scrub not defeat something so obvious and telegraphed as a single move done over and over? Is he such a poor player that he can’t counter that move? And if the move is, for whatever reason, extremely difficult to counter, then wouldn’t I be a fool for not using that move? The first step in becoming a top player is the realization that playing to win means doing whatever most increases your chances of winning. That is true by definition of playing to win. The game knows no rules of “honor” or of “cheapness.” The game only knows winning and losing.
I then realized the horror of what I would have to do, and what I would become somewhat famous for in the Street Fighter community. I realized that the only remaining character I could reasonably play in a tournament was Rose, and furthermore that Rose, though very good against most characters, really only has one effective move against Chun Li: low strong.
I low stronged my little heart out. Probably over 90% of my moves were low strong, done at a very particular range, and with a particular pattern of timing that I dare not reveal (let me keep some secrets). I had infinite patience to low strong forever, forcing Thao to defeat this trick. If he could beat it, we would then have to actually play, and at that point surely he would win. But fortunately, he never did beat it: he fought it head on. At times, he would decide not to attack, not to beat against a brick wall. I used that opportunity to get at the optimal range (which is one pixel farther from him than the range of my low strong). From this range, I continued to low strong forever. I wasn’t winning by doing that, but I wasn’t losing either. Even the robotic Thao would eventually tire and attack, sometimes at the wrong times out of annoyance or desperation. Spectators reported that I did an amazing 18 consecutive low strongs without either myself or Thao doing any other moves.
The fact that a player only plays online has nothing to do with it - not everybody is out to play at tournaments after all. All that matters is that he is using what he needs to do to win in that environment.

d3v

SRK
No.

I don't care who Sirlin is or what Sirlin says, and you need to stop being so bound by that. The word scrub has nothing to do with one persons thoughts on the matter, it's a colloquial term with an accepted definition, so stop quoting someone as if it means something.
The thing is, it isn't just what Sirlin says. Actually, all he did was codify a definition that many of the folks in the FGC had been using at the time.

You can see it reflected in writings from that same era, such as (Evo co-founder) Seth Killian's Domination 101 series.
http://forums.shoryuken.com/discussion/91151/on-cheapness/p1
This week's question touches on the ever-controversial topic of "cheapness:"

Q: "Why is it that you shoryuken foolz seem to think that playing cheap is cool? You should be a man and take a stand against lamerz for honorable play."

(name withheld out of mercy)

Ah, the call of the scrub. They bleat out something like this to attract others of their sad species (known in laymans terms as "losers"), who will feel sorry for them, and commiserate about the unfair tactics of their shamefully dishonorable tormentors (more commonly known as "winners"). They play the game in a little world of make-believe where they all aspire to earn the respect of their fellow losers, and to play with "honor" (even though no ones quite sure what that means).

We get a lot of stuff like this. I have to wonder- where are all these scrubs coming from? Portland aside, its hard to be sure. I mostly just think of them as the Streetfighter equivalent of the Amish, but sometimes I wonder anyway- how did they get so confused? Why do they hold on to such silly ideas?

Personally my definition of a scrub is someone who uses the same exact tactic over and over again. Typically its a noobie tactic that works against newer or less skilled players, but doesnt work against anyone who is at least mediocre at the game. For example i plaYed a scorpion in mk9 the other day. This guys entire strategy was to constantly try to start jump punch combos. If you blocked hed jump over your head and try to start one again, rinse and repeat. Obviously this didnt work on me. Id simply have to do a well timed uppercut, jump kick, or teleport to punish it. It was annoying but easily beatable. The guy had a decent win loss record with over 1000 matches played more than me, but didnt win one match cause he only had one shitty one dimensional strategy that didnt work. Thats a scrub.

Also i consider people that complain when they lose and try to make excuses scrubs. The other day a guy got on his mic and accused me of spamming. Whats hilarious is i wasnt even spamming any particular move, i was just legit better than him. I got on my mic and said "what exactly am i spamming" ofc he had no reply. I told him to quit whining about losing, and that he will never get better if he just writes off anyone who beats him as "cheap" he didnt care. Kept complaining. Total scrub.

I dont consider simple noobs scrubs and dont like it when new players are called scrubs. They are still learning, they are not good yet. I try to help lesser players get better because i have a passion for fighting games and want to share it with others. I know a lot of people dont share my sentiment but i think the fgc would be a better place in general if they did. It needs to be open to new players. Not some elitist society where anyone who isnt pro is considered a scrub and frowned upon.

MrProfDrPepper

NRS, Guilty Gear, and KI, the holy trinity
@BatmanBeatsCap man you really need to let go of iiincorruptable, I understand that you are still mad at him and he is an asshole and he is a prime definition of scrub. But he isn't a scrub because of how be plays, yes that is a part of it, but for the most part it is his attitude. Yeah all he does is guns and wake up sword flip and that is VERY easily countered, however the fact that he goes out of his way to try and convince people he is the best even though he refuses to improve and rage quits on anyone that beats him yet still saying he is the best. THAT is what makes him a scrub, his refusal to learn new strategies to counter the opponents counter strategies, his refusal to learn anything more than his shallow circle, and his refusal to accept that he isn't that good at the game. He is a scrub yes, but he is a very strange case of scrub, most scrubs do in fact lie in stirlins definition.

Apex Kano

Kano Commando main MKX
My thread still lives on! Great inputs peeps. I made this becuase I can run into some arrogant elitist online that think you are a scrub, but yet using the highest tier character and using the same tatics that online makes safe. I get called a spammer alot and don't know know combos, cause I can throw knives and up ball properly. Zoners are hated in fight games

Crusty

Retired forever; don’t ask for games.
Let's not forget the scrubs that after they finally won 1 game after you beat them 5 times. They all love to teabag you, and I'm like really? Are you 12 yes old? Do you finally feel accomplished in life. LOL! You win 1 out of 5 calm your tits!
Think of the average person online, think how dumb they are,

Now realize that half of them are even dumber than that.

I hate it when people teabag especially after i beat them 5 times beforehand. Another pet peeve of mine is when people leave after barely winning 1 really close match. I find typically these people have ridiculously good(obviously inflated by beating on noobs) win loss records. They dont wanna play me again cause they know there is a high chance they will lose and they dont wanna ruin thier precious record. Lots of people like that on mk9.

My thread still lives on! Great inputs peeps. I made this becuase I can run into some arrogant elitist online that think you are a scrub, but yet using the highest tier character and using the same tatics that online makes safe. I get called a spammer alot and don't know know combos, cause I can throw knives and up ball properly. Zoners are hated in fight games
Zoners are hated by noobs and casual players in fighting games. Though ill admit its annoying playing against kabals in mk9 that just shoot fireballs and throw the groundsaw, its not at all an impossible tactic to beat(especially if that is their whole game) most skilled players accept it and learn to play around it. Whiners are scrubs lol

Zoning should be 1 part of your game. You cant win matches against good players with zoning alone but shooting projectiles when you are full screen is stupid not to do. Things like instant air fb/fans are very useful as well.
Toggle navigation
Latin Times
Start Searching form
Start Searching
Start Searching

Last edited:

Apex Kano

Kano Commando main MKX
I hate it when people teabag especially after i beat them 5 times beforehand. Another pet peeve of mine is when people leave after barely winning 1 really close match. I find typically these people have ridiculously good(obviously inflated by beating on noobs) win loss records. They dont wanna play me again cause they know there is a high chance they will lose and they dont wanna ruin thier precious record. Lots of people like that on mk9.

Zoners are hated by noobs and casual players in fighting games. Though ill admit its annoying playing against kabals in mk9 that just shoot fireballs and throw the groundsaw, its not at all an impossible tactic to beat(especially if that is their whole game) most skilled players accept it and learn to play around it. Whiners are scrubs lol

Zoning should be 1 part of your game. You cant win matches against good players with zoning alone but shooting projectiles when you are full screen is stupid not to do. Things like instant air fb/fans are very useful as well.
Toggle navigation
Latin Times
Start Searching form
Start Searching
Start Searching
I know how to do hand to hand combat..but dem mid knives are sexy yo! I also hate when its a close game and thwy leave on game 2. I can care less about my online record. I just play to get better.

B. Shazzy

NRS shill #42069
SCRUB
skrʌb/
noun:
1. Someone who refuses to learn or adapt, yet claims to be "good" at something.
"This scrub will never learn."
synonyms: trash, garbage, bunz, booty cheeks.
Scrub is often misused. A scrub is usually someone who refuses to get better at a game ie figuring out why they're losing or why there are players levels above them. They also complain a lot, not knowing why what they're doing is not effective on other players. There are people who are willing to learn, but scrubs are the ones who have no intention
To me the definition of a scrub is someone with a personal set of rules that expects everyone to follow. If their rules are not followed and you win the scrub gets very upset
seems you guys all played zoofs too huh

i feel you

GAV

Resolution through knowledge and resolve.
Denial of self-accountability is what makes a scrub.

Making up rules as to what is or is not acceptable puts you down the scrub path. Its inevitable...

Once you run into a player as into the game as you are who doesn't play by any made up or prescribed rules, you're going end up being overwhelmed - but you're going to feel like you're just as good.

Truth is though that you're not. You're too busy being held back by imaginary rules to reach your potential.

MrProfDrPepper

NRS, Guilty Gear, and KI, the holy trinity
Jesus...where did I mention iiincorruptible? Even once? I didn't. For some reason, you assumed I was talking about him when I mentioned zoning over lag, but I wasn't. There are a number of players who do the exact same shit, if it isn't with deathstroke then it's heat vision with supes or martian teleport and 113(or 112).

That used to make me incredibly salty, because...I couldn't figure out what I was doing wrong. I would practice, search for advice on here, be able to do that advice, and yet...against these certain players...be unable to escape. And yet, against better players, or at least players who demonstrate a higher degree of skill with their character, I could escape that stuff just fine. The reason I was having trouble? Shitty internet and shitty online net code. I only realized that recently. For that reason, given that I can't get better due to something outside of my control, I am done with Injustice, at least online. Hopefully an offline scene still exists for when I start going to offline events.

Now, all that aside, which should have been unnecessary, if you read my post above, I specifically say exactly what you do. That is isn't the behavior itself that I think is scrubby, but that behavior combined with lying to themselves about their skill level, and getting mad any time they lose...specifically not being willing to learn.

So, just to clarify for a final time,

Shoot guns all day? Not a scrub.

Shoot guns all day and win multiple matches? Not a scrub.

Shoot guns all day and win multiple matches, carried by laggy internet? Not a scrub.

Shoot guns all day and win multiple matches, carried by laggy internet, and proclaim yourself a top-tier player? Scrub.

Shoot guns all day and win multiple matches, carried by laggy internet, and make excuses or rage with extreme salt at every loss? Scrub.

Shoot guns all day and win multiple matches, carried by laggy internet, and only play worse players, and ragequit whenever losing instead of learning the match-up? Scrub.

Opinion differ on this, and you and others may not agree. To me it's simple. A scrub is someone who isn't willing to learn, adapt or do what it takes to get better. The projectile-zoning-over-lag issue is just a specific example, which I mentioned because that's been incredibly frustrating for me. But, it's all good, since I've moved on from that and only play the beta, and only work on getting better.
Alright after that was clarified yes that does make sense, but yes it is obvious your referring to iiincorruptable as the scrub (which he is) in your previous posts weather you realize it or not, I'm not trying to bash you, not trying to hate on you, not trying to do anything other than pointing something out. Since before your definition of scrub was very vague of "spamming in lag" and I was just trying to inform you, there was no foul intentions.