What's new

Question What if MKX had legitimate Character Themes?

Should we get some themes in MK?

• Total voters

Samsara

Resident Cynic
Character themes are important for making the characters in the game feel like established mainstays with their own personalities and flavors and styles. Now I know that the characters in MK are widely known throughout video games (everybody knows Subby and Scorp at the very least), that being said, outside of lore and in-game antics you do not get a sense for what comprises the characters themselves.

You can convey a lot about a character through a theme. Street Fighter is a highly esteemed franchise that understands this. They've upheld a lasting legacy of memorable and timeless character themes and they're still at it. Take Rashid for example. Much of peoples infatuation for the character comes in large part to his theme, which expresses his jovial and carefree nature very well.. You'd be hard pressed to find me a stream where chat doesn't blow up in mass spam of

RAAAAAAAAAAASHIIIIIIIIDOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Everytime he pops up on screen. If NRS could invest some time into some stellar character themes of their own there's no reason it wouldn't contribute to the hype. The argument can be made that the series has gone on too long for these themes to have an effect. But I think its the first step to contributing to the MK franchise overall in the long run.

Do you agree? What kinds of themes would you like to see for your main? do you have an idea for what kinds of sounds or melodies would mesh well with the characters? What's the greatest character theme of all time (hint: Balrog)? Discuss.

Gengar

Hypnosis > Dreameater (its a reset)
Music has never been mortal kombats strong suit. Honestly most of the music is pretty bad. Capcom and other fighters use high energy music during fights, mk however maintains a more kung fu oriented style to its music. The music is not the star, its the sound effects. The absurd sound of an uppercut connecting and the chain of a spear or the ice freezing from an iceball are the real highlights of the sound.

I love mk, but ive never felt like the music in mk was special. I cant just enjoy listening to mk music, but soundtracks from MVC and SF and KI are super good and great to just listen to for fun. Mk9 even had a soundtrack thing, but none of the music was in the game.

LIGUE

Noob
Yes Yes Yes. Honestly, if NRS could hire CAPCOM to do their music. THAT'd be GREAT.
Also Reptile should totally keep his theme from the movie.
They had potential with that movie man, they had potential.

Samsara

Resident Cynic
Also since we're on the topic; post theme power rankings. I'll start with KI:

GOAT Tier

Thunder, Sabrewulf

A+ Tier

Sadira, Hisako, Jago

A Tier

TJ Combo, Orchid, Maya

B Tier

Glacius, Omen

Overrated Tier

Spinal

Trash

Khan Ra, Fulgore, Cinder

I have no substantial ranking for the rest of the cast.

Music has never been mortal kombats strong suit. Honestly most of the music is pretty bad. Capcom and other fighters use high energy music during fights, mk however maintains a more kung fu oriented style to its music. The music is not the star, its the sound effects. The absurd sound of an uppercut connecting and the chain of a spear or the ice freezing from an iceball are the real highlights of the sound.

I love mk, but ive never felt like the music in mk was special. I cant just enjoy listening to mk music, but soundtracks from MVC and SF and KI are super good and great to just listen to for fun. Mk9 even had a soundtrack thing, but none of the music was in the game.
I think MK1-4's soundtracks were great. The classic MK music is fucking awesome, but they always kept going in a different direction. I agree with the more modern games though, the music isn't that good at all.

Themes could be interesting, and I don't see why it would hurt to try. I would love to see what they could come up with for some of the characters.

Rathalos

Play Monster Hunter!
Then how will I hear the fighters make weird grunting sounds every time someone taps them?

The music direction for NRS games is baffling, you can barely even hear it most of the time, like they are ashamed of it.

MK9 was especially weird, they paid a bunch of people to make a soundtrack for some of the characters, they never promoted it, and didn't even put it in the game.

A few of them were pretty good, like Tokimonsta's Mileena theme.

Fucking Skrillex did Reptiles theme.
Which somehow ended up in a TMNT movie trailer.

Samsara

Resident Cynic
SF2 Theme Power Rankings.

GOAT Tier

Balrog, Zangief

A+ Tier

Ryu, Chun Li, Blanka

A Tier

Vega, Dhalsim

Overrated Tier

Guile, Ken

B Tier

Bison, Honda

Trash

Sagat

Samsara

Resident Cynic
As far as SFV is concerned, it's a little early since not everyone is released. But I think we can all agree that Hillside Plaza Stage theme is the GOAT and should have been in place of Laura's actual theme.

Anyway, here are my rankings

A+ Tier

Vega, Chun Li, Ryu, Ken

A Tier

FANG, Dhalsim, Zangief, Necalli

Overrated Tier

Rashid

B Tier

Bison, Cammy, Karin,

C Tier

Nash, R.Mika, Birdie

Trash