What's new

What fighting game has the hardest execution? (UPDATED W POLL)

What fighting game has the hardest execution?

• Melee

Votes: 6 31.6%
  • KOF 13

Votes: 4 21.1%
  • Other KOF

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Guilty Gear Xrd

Votes: 1 5.3%
  • Other Guilty Gear

Votes: 2 10.5%
  • Street Fighter IV

• Other Street Fighter

• Tekken

Votes: 2 10.5%
  • MVC 3

• Other MVC

• DOA 5

• Uniel

• Skullgirls

• Killer Instinct

• Persona 4 Arena

• MKX

• Other MK

• Virtua Fighter

• OTHER (specify below)

• Total voters

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
summon suffering.. #neverforget

It took me half a year to be able to hit that consistently, and even then sometimes I'd drop it. I was an Ivy main and at the time played the game like a drug. The move was really good so you were forced to learn it in a way. Move had the perfect name lol.

#NeverForget

buyacushun

Normalize grab immunity.
MVC2, Melee, & HNK are the hardest by a long shot

MVC2 & Melee have tons of VERY demanding movement techniques that you have to have down or else you are not competeing at all. HNK is a game all about system mastery due to all the espteric system glitches you have to take advatange of & understand.

GG is really overblown as an executionally demanding game same with KOF.
I always forget MvC2 had some heavy movement stuff. What's up with HNK? It seems to be getting a Renaissance of sorts. Like is the FGC giving it a comeback or something now that it's broken all the way through?

haketh

Noob
I always forget MvC2 had some heavy movement stuff. What's up with HNK? It seems to be getting a Renaissance of sorts. Like is the FGC giving it a comeback or something now that it's broken all the way through?
HNK has always been pretty hot with the poverty crew, it's broken but it's fun as fuck for that reason.

buyacushun

Normalize grab immunity.
HNK has always been pretty hot with the poverty crew, it's broken but it's fun as fuck for that reason.
Hmmm I might try it out when I'm bored. I assume it can be easily emulated, right? (someone needs to make another HNK fighter. Just thought about it. Power Stone like game using those characters would be the shit. Ok that's enough thread derailment)

haketh

Noob
Hmmm I might try it out when I'm bored. I assume it can be easily emulated, right? (someone needs to make another HNK fighter. Just thought about it. Power Stone like game using those characters would be the shit. Ok that's enough thread derailment)
I dunno about emulation for it, PS2 emulation is pretty good now so it should be fine

ForeverKing

Patreon.com/MK_ForeverKing
Melee free. You can play Melee every single day for 5 hours a day, then 1 year later you MIGHT be good enough to make it out of pools at a major lol

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
A bit off-topic, but why are some fighting games ridiculously execution heavy to begin with? It seems more of an unnecessary barrier than anything. To me, the best part of a fighter is when both players don't have to worry about execution and can just outplay each other and play mind games. To clarify, when I say "don't have to worry about execution", I mean they've already gotten to the point where they've memorized everything and all their combos are muscle memory.

haketh

Noob
A bit off-topic, but why are some fighting games ridiculously execution heavy to begin with?
Most of the time it's not even intended. Look at the games considered the hardest games like HNK, Melee, MVC2, Fate/UnLimited Codes ETC they're high executuion but it was mainly due to unintended mechanics. Games like ST are high execution due to lack of understanding how to design FGs at the time.

Paul the Octopus

Slow Starter
a third of the cast has 1 frame links needed
Not sure if you've played ultra much but quite a few of the one frame links became two frame links (guile's cr jab to cr strong for example).

Still, what annoys me most about SF4 execution wise is the ease and reward of reversals (mashing while in blockstun) vs executing tight block strings. If you drop tricky one and two frame links and the opponent was mashing, not only do you not get the damage from finishing your combo, but the masher gets a gigantic reward (SPD, DP, ultra). In most other games, dropped combos just result in a reset situation.

This isn't as much of problem at the highest level but it's pretty annoying for those of us that just play sf4 once in a while as a second or third game.

John Grizzly

The axe that clears the forest
damn man you're making me google stuff now :p I had never even heard of Tao Feng
Haha, I was actually just messing around. I never played Tao Feng, unfortunately, but it always interested me because it was created by John Tobias, who we all know. I feel like a lot of the ideas in Tao Feng were taken and incorporated into MKs that followed.

John Grizzly

The axe that clears the forest
Wow haha I missed this. Man this game was so ass lol. "Fiery Phoenix" character and shit lmao! Horrible.
It was always insane to me that the same guy who came up with so many amazing characters in the MK universe also created the shitters in Tao Feng. How could they be the same person??

Fucking Fierce Tiger....