What's new

What "dont" you like about the game so far?

Only played the demo, it's fun but a few small things I hope aren't in the main game.

-Wonder Woman put a bad taste in my mouth playing her(mostly in the lasso mode where she floats). Her moves just felt really clunky, she didn't feel as stable as Batman and Lex to me. Her animations are just hard to read and ugly looking. She has this double kick she looks like she flailing her legs around all weird. She felt better when using sword and shield though. I just hope all flying characters don't look this weird during some moves.

-I like the stage interactions where you hit enemies into things. I just wonder how this will hold out in a torny or if this is going to be turned off.

-I agree with the dashing thing OP mentioned, especially as Batman. You so badly want to wavedash or dash cancel some moves but can't.
That's really the only issues I have, nothing major.

Raidenwins

Raiden Practitioner
1. Holding back to block - I never liked this mechanic and was never able to get used to it. It feels unnatural and awkward to me. I did start out with MK and it's been my favorite fighting game ever since, but I've also played Soul Calibur (since SC3; was a tournament player for a short while), Virtua Fighter, Tekken (since Tekken 5), Street Fighter (not a whole lot), Blaze Blue, and MvC so it's not like the dedicated Block button is all I know. Holding back to block just doesn't make sense to me. The direction inputs are for... inputing directions, it feels very awkward to use them for performing an action, especially one that requires very precise timing. This is purely from a game design point of view, I understand many people have gotten used to holding back to block, but that doesn't make it a good design choice. I can't count how many times I've lost in Tekken because I tried to block but my character tried to backdash instead and, of course, got hit. Holding back to block also makes it impossible to stand block (yes, I know you can do Down-Back, but still, it's not the same), not to mention dealing with cross-over jumps will be even more of a pain now. They were overpowered enough in MK9.

I understand this is not MK, it's a brand new IP and NRS is experimenting with new game mechanics, which is perfectly fine. I'll try to get used to it (yet again), but my opinion that this is a bad game mechanic still stands.

2. Animations look kind of awkward and clunky, but seeing as how this is just a 2?7? month old build, maybe it'll be better in the actual game.

3. Wonder Woman looks manly and kind of...unattractive. Did they use male models for the female characters again? Seriously, how long can it take to make a female model in 3ds MAX or Maya?

I was a bit disappointed when I tried the demo: MK 's hit confirm stuff is goneand ,as many before me said,you can't cancel the dash
no to mention that overall the game fells slow and mechanical, what a pity I was expecting a great game :(

Zyphox

What is going on guys, Ya Boi Zyphox here.
I was a bit disappointed when I tried the demo: MK 's hit confirm stuff is goneand ,as many before me said,you can't cancel the dash
no to mention that overall the game fells slow and mechanical, what a pity I was expecting a great game :(
you were expecting mk with dc characters smh, keep playing it, the better you get at it the faster it becomes trust me, go play any other fighting game, at first all the games feels slow unless its marvel. you are letting your experience cloud your judgement about what a great game feels like without actually going deep in the game. but hey if you don't ending playing it see you in mk10.

cyke_out

Noob
you were expecting mk with dc characters smh, keep playing it, the better you get at it the faster it becomes trust me, go play any other fighting game, at first all the games feels slow unless its marvel. you are letting your experience cloud your judgement about what a great game feels like without actually going deep in the game. but hey if you don't ending playing it see you in mk10.

Exactly, any game I pick up feels weird at first. In the hands of a novice anything can look and feel so clunky and slow until you get good or see two experienced players moving and looking extremely fluid.

basically things that take out the speed of this game.

1. back to block is good, no problem with it as a block mechanic. what bothers me tho is that it increases input errors, as the move inputs are, down, back, squere etc. it sometimes confuses the game to throw a projectile if you press/play fast. down, back to block a overhead than attack/poke... in batman's case, trows a projectile. i know its possible to let this not happen but it takes the speed out the game imo.

2. another thing is that every single attack (x, square, triangle) takes quite long to recover. again this ripps of the speed and makes it harder to whiff attacks or confuse your opponent. as this is NRS answer to MvsC3, fast input gameplay is important, especially at tourny's.

3. dashes take long to recover, gets annoying.

4. cinematics of special moves/ring outs take too long. like you kick someone of the edge, he/she smacks @ a wall, than gets hit by an iron ball, falls on the ground, than gets smacked by a train. imo too much and takes of the sense of pain.

5. stance switch button again? y no taunt instead :S

6. LEX LUTHER dat armor move... seriously loll

Exactly, any game I pick up feels weird at first. In the hands of a novice anything can look and feel so clunky and slow until you get good or see two experienced players moving and looking extremely fluid.
when i picked up tekken for the first time, it didn't felt slow at all, same is for street fighter and doa. fact is that this game feels kinda stiff/slow because every attack has longer recovery in contrast to most other fighting games. yes the longer you play the better you get so the faster your input etc. but some things in this game (like in mk9) take of the speed and make it feel kinda clunky. not hating on the game, just try to explain why it might feel clunky to some

Justice

Noob
We just had a little side tournament with the demo at TTT and believe me, slow and mechanical were never used once. It was fast, brutal and a whole buttload of fun :D I think even by UFGT we are gonna see some crazy shit on stream with this game. :coffee:

The Dark Knight

The World's Greatest Detective
I actually quite enjoyed the demo, fun overall.

yeah wonder women just feels plain clunky to use

to me batman and lex were fun.

Skkra

PSN: Skkra
Back to block: much more natural, allows for truer footsies.
Block sparks: good design decision.
Dashing: much more natural. Invincibility frames on backdash makes the game feel a lot more comfortable and makes sense in the engine.

DISLIKES
Negative edge too sensitive: I play every fighting game there is, and I’ve never had the NE problems in any game like I’ve had in MK and GAU.
Walk speed too slow: as others have said, this means there is almost no midrange game. Its nearly impossible to do the fun kind of footsies you have in, for example, SF4. They just walk too slow.
Clunky: MK9 was fun as hell and felt the same way, so while it’s a complaint, it’s one I just accept for now as how NRS games feels.

The Dark Knight

The World's Greatest Detective
another good point is, you can change the playstyle from the standard mk to SF style controls which work better with an arcade stick.

sent.... From the Batcave

Skkra

PSN: Skkra
I think you can turn off "negative edge" in the controls menu (the "release check" option).
Yeah, and trust me, I will be doing so. I've just heard Chris G, who was a playtester, say that it still didn't completely solve the problem for him.

kanaida

Kanaida (MK9 Dashboard for android)
I gotta be honest here... It really blows. I don't like the movement, especially walking. Its like being stuck on a magnet. It feels like sentinel from cap com vs marvel. Let's put it this way, I played mk9 and it instantly felt bad ass, this demo lasted like 10 fights and was immediately deleted off my Xbox. Its clear to me that netherrealms did not want to make it better than their own game and it shows. They just let the DC guys run themselves into the ground by following their goals. I don't play street fighter 4, but that is better. I'm sure some people like it... I mean people play halo lol, but I like

xWEBSx

Too old for this Shit
I get smashed through the earth, then back up..
I get tazed, then smashed by the Bat Mobile...
I get hit by a wrecking ball, a train, then fall...

If these "super moves" finish me off.. My character gets up to one knee in defeat.

It may be petty.. But I wanna put these heroes/villains flat out on their backs (due to DC no death policy)...

Also:
From the flow of the game, it seems to rat-a-tat-tat.. Damage in a combo or burst, and having to finish a combo to get damage. I fear that no natural resets (other than finishing said combo) may make the fighting grow stale.

King Checkmate

uɐlop sı ʎllɐnʇɔɐ
what i DONT like....hm...Let me se.

-I dont like the same Whinny players we had in MK, always QQ everything is OP.
-And i hate the enviromental hazards.

Thats pretty much it

The game is brilliant so far but sadly the PS3 version is region locked for online....I really really wish it wasn't and players simply had the option of choosing to play their own region or others if they wish. Means me and my US buds can't play together :(

that once you've been connected to a match, whether it's ranked or player, you can't back out. what's the point of showing me their amount of disconnects if i can't even respond to it?

KCJ506

Noob
One thing that really annoys me is how a lot of the characters have a move that requires a back-forward motion that can easily work as a down-forward motion. For instance, Batman anti-air batarang is down-back, so why isn't his straight one down-forward? And almost all of Green Lantern's specials are back-forward.

If the move has the characters sliding, running, or launching themselves at the opponent, then a back-forward motion is fine, but I think any projectile based move should be either down-forward or down-back.

Emanuel

Noob
The voices in the game are very low. Even when you go to settings you have the option but still. When bane says back breaker its just not loud enough to turn heads. And Batmans idle stance still looks bad. When he walks it looks better but when just standing looks weird.

MorbidAltruism

Get over here!
The voices in the game are very low. Even when you go to settings you have the option but still. When bane says back breaker its just not loud enough to turn heads. And Batmans idle stance still looks bad. When he walks it looks better but when just standing looks weird.
The voices are kind of low. I had to go into the options and lower everything but voices. Batman's stance is boss. Don't know why people don't like it. :16Bit