What's new

Question - Johnny Cage What Does TYM think of Johnny as of 8-31-2015?

Dizzy

False Information Police Officer
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
From what I can tell its a universal change, you cannot buffer run during cancels. You must cancel into dash then hit block. This makes it pretty difficult to cancel properly off a lot of things cage does. F2 SKRC particularly seems to be hit hard. Personally, cancelling off F3 is hard for me too (to get proper timing on block) though I feel like that one might be doable. F2 and B34 seem like the hardest hit for me.

If my theory is true about it being a universal change, I think all SKRC may be reduced by 1 frame of advantage as well. Its hard to say though. Doing them perfectly now will require another just frame input I believe, hitting block on the first frame possible, if block cannot be buffered.

A-List only had cancels lol. Absolutely nothing else.
I confirm that it is 100% unplayable now, all the time spent on the execution is wasted. GG

Edit: they fixed the whiffing problems regarding the mids, but all our highs still don't hit a small crouching character. S1, S2, S3 and S4 whiff on crouching Cassie
lol i'm so happy I was staying wit SD the whole time :)

Haven't had a chance to check this out yet. Seems like a lot of other character's run cancels are screwed up as well... SQ D'Vorah, HW Jax, DF Liu, and HF Scorpion from what I've seen posted in the forums so far. Maybe this is some unintentional bug from the OS fixes.

If they keep it like this though, it's going to be a lot harder to play A-List well. Might have to go back to Cassie at this point.

Asodimazze

https://twitter.com/AlfioZacco
I'm seriously considering dropping the game, but maybe NRS will fix this somehow. I can't play anything now, A-List was the only character that I had fun with

Last edited:

DeftMonk

Noob
I'm seriously considering dropping the game, but maybe NRS will fix this somehow. I can't play anything now, A-List was my only character that I had fun with
I am sadly with you on this one. I don't have the patch yet but... could someone that does try to turn on/off negative edge in the options and see if it still is this way? I wonder if the issues is in the option select fix or just nerf to characters who can dash cancel.

I think its a bit premature to talk about quitting at this point. There's a good chance that the nerf was unintended. Just spend the next few days training a secondary and wait for word from Paolo.

MadeOfMetal

Kenshi Srubtastic,Cyrax, Special Forces Mains
they are all ruined, i tested all of them, devorah on the other hand has a Bug roll RC now, some how it gave her other variant a new tool... but i think all RC's are doomed, im even having issues with TG Raiden as well... looking like i might used displacer though... idk guys, this is devistating for me in alot of ways, alot of my characters are poop now... raiden, jacqui HT, HF Scorpion, SQ D'vorah, A-list JC, Jax,
:coffee:im depressed

ohh yeah Erron Blacks sand trap Throw wiffs crouch blocking opponents now...lol

DeftMonk

Noob
I didnt mean quit right this moment, that would be rediculous...but, if in2-3 days paulo doesn't say "Oops! that was unintended" and this is the future of MKX I am out. Which would explain why tyler said after the patch Fisticuffs is his favorite johnny...because they cut a-list johnny's balls off. Its not so much that they messed up my fav character its that they just all of a sudden completely changed him. If that is intended, then say I pick up one of my pocket chars like liu dualist... it wouldn't surprise me if 4 months from now they decided light stance can only punch and dark can only kick or some equally surprising complete crap change to him. This kind of stuff just doesnt happen with namco/capcom. For now just gonna try to keep a positive outlook and hope it was an accident.

Asodimazze

All this talk of dropping the game over an oversight on NRS's part...when did Johnny mains start meshing with the Sub-Zero community :DOGE
Hard to be a Johnny main when you use fisticuff, and it gets fucked up.
Then you move on to A-List, practice a lot to reach the high execution requirements...have fun, and it gets destroyed.

All this while many other characters get insane buffs, and Johnny was never high or top tier to begin with

JJV Phoenix

I'm not Vak goddamnit
Hard to be a Johnny main when you use fisticuff, and it gets fucked up.
Then you move on to A-List, practice a lot to reach the high execution requirements...have fun, and it gets destroyed.

All this while many other characters get insane buffs, and Johnny was never high or top tier to begin with
Every character reliant on run cancels is having this issue, and their forums are awash with activity about it too. I'm sure NRS is now aware and hotfixes are imminent, and Johnny will be back to normal before long.

rafaw

#YouSuck
Jesus no, i didnt get to play with the patch yet, but reading this i really hope that its a bug and it will be fixed!

If not, im never buying a MK game again.

DeftMonk

Noob
Every character reliant on run cancels is having this issue, and their forums are awash with activity about it too. I'm sure NRS is now aware and hotfixes are imminent, and Johnny will be back to normal before long.
hope you're right buddy. I am just going to be upset if no hotfix is inbound, and this is some kind of balancing fix because some 7 year old cant get the cancels down.

smokey

EX Ovi should launch
  • Johnny Cage (Stunt Double) - Can now also execute Mimic Eclipse Kick cancel out of Mimic summon
This loses armour when you have mimic up and the safety you gain for spending the bar without mimics isnt important because its a projectile... even if we couldnt do this before the patch, who in their right mind is spending a bar for this?

Name v.5.0

Iowa's Finest.
  • Johnny Cage (Stunt Double) - Can now also execute Mimic Eclipse Kick cancel out of Mimic summon
This loses armour when you have mimic up and the safety you gain for spending the bar without mimics isnt important because its a projectile... even if we couldnt do this before the patch, who in their right mind is spending a bar for this?
I tested and thought that maybe the ex version would grant more block advantage. Doesn't look like it does. And if it does, it doesn't really matter.

smokey

EX Ovi should launch
I tested and thought that maybe the ex version would grant more block advantage. Doesn't look like it does. And if it does, it doesn't really matter.
Who gives a fuck if it does though, this is a real shame. I would be pissed if i did this by accident now knowing that they took time out of their day to patch this in.

Name v.5.0

Iowa's Finest.
Who gives a fuck if it does though, this is a real shame. I would be pissed if i did this by accident now knowing that they took time out of their day to patch this in.
Right. There is zero real utility to it. I don't understand the changes to SDJC. They lazily parched him and didn't seem to take more than 5 minutes to test him after they did.

smokey

EX Ovi should launch
Right. There is zero real utility to it. I don't understand the changes to SDJC. They lazily parched him and didn't seem to take more than 5 minutes to test him after they did.
The f3,4 buff is cool but really not that impressive, the fact we lose the armour on EX Shadowkick when we have mimics up is funny, would make some things like f3~mimic~EX shadowkick worth doing when against people who know its not jailing them.

Asodimazze

Wow, they are really bad at coding/testing!! I thought this change would make mimic summon into mimic eclipse kick a blockstring, but people can armor still! 100% useless change?
Yes. This patch is absolutely trash

smokey

EX Ovi should launch
Wow, they are really bad at coding/testing!! I thought this change would make mimic summon into mimic eclipse kick a blockstring, but people can armor still! 100% useless change?
Eclipse kick is the EX version which USUALLY is -4 on block and has armour and does more damage, it actually gets worse when you have mimic up.